• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mazatlan Post seems optomistic about timeshares

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The Mazatlan Post seems very optomistic that tourist will be flocking to Mexico. Timeshares are a key to economic recovery. I think that is a valid point for Mexico.

Bill

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I think the big question is Will tourist be anxious and flocking to Mexico for vacation after the lockdown is lifted? What do early polls and opinions indicate?

...and will they have the money to travel? 30 million unemployed, many further in debt to survive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I think the hot and wet weather don’t help the c19 to spread, we will see this summer how it gone

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had thought about driving to Mazatlan and then to Nuevo Vallarta in the past. I would like to bring some toys so I would take a truck. I'm thinking maybe winter. All winter if I can.

The flights are what kind of bother me.

Bill

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeshares will recover first not just in Mexico, but everywhere else. A lot of people are scared to travel but the polls suggest that 50% would start travelling as soon as the restrictions are lifted. And for those who want to travel where would they rather go?

a) hotel in a large city
b) a cruise
c) an all inclusive resort where a lot of meals are served at the buffet where everyone is touching everything and the social distancing is very difficult,
d) a timeshare where you can buy your own groceries and cook some if not all the meals in the condo

The answer is obvious to me. Additionally, we already paid the maintenance fees so those that feel safe to travel will do it right away.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It will come down to the perception of just how effective the 'deep cleaning' is performed between and during guests' stays. We are even now taking it as a leap of faith that 'high touch' areas are being sufficiently disinfected.

So far in Mexico, testing is even more lax than in the USA, their medical infrastructure lags far behind as far as PPE, ventilators and supplies. They seem to have the attitude I've seen exhibited even on TUG. Don't test, let people become infected. Some will die, Most will recover. Save the economy.

It might work for them, but doesn't seem a tactic I want to bet my life on.

Jim

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I had thought about driving to Mazatlan and then to Nuevo Vallarta in the past. I would like to bring some toys so I would take a truck. I'm thinking maybe winter. All winter if I can.

Bill

We drove to NV once.For 9 years we drove from Phoenix to Mazatlan. We stopped in San Carlos and spent the night at the Sea of Cortez (Diamond Resorts) as it does 1 night rentals. Then we drove to Mazatlan the next day. We had the entire month at our place there and took a week to use an expiring RCI exchange to the Grand Bliss in NV.

On our return trips from Mazatlan, we packed our vehicle the night before and left just at sunrise - 5:30 or 6 AM. We would get to the Nogales border right about 6 PM and it would take at least an hour to get through Customs. Once we were in the USA, we drove the 3 hours home, arriving about 9:00 PM. It was a long day in the SUV.

The HWY 15 Toll Road is a good road. It is not too expensive - about $75 RT from Nogales to Mazatlan. You just need small Peso bills and coins because only the first couple of toll booths near Nogales take US $.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
So far in Mexico, testing is even more lax than in the USA, their medical infrastructure lags far behind as far as PPE, ventilators and supplies. They seem to have the attitude I've seen exhibited even on TUG. Don't test, let people become infected. Some will die, Most will recover. Save the economy.

It might work for them, but doesn't seem a tactic I want to bet my life on.
If that is the strategy that Mexico is following, then in a few months I would be more comfortable traveling to Mexico vs. someplace in the US like California where they have been aggressively flattening the curve. Why? Because in Mexico they would have let the disease spread quicker so in a few months many more people would have already been exposed to it and they would be approaching herd immunity sooner. In a place where they are aggressively flattening the curve, in a few months most people would still not have been exposed, so the probability that you have contact with newly-exposed asymptomatic person would be higher. Flattening the curve just lengthens the pandemic; it doesn't necessarily change the number who are exposed, it just changes the date they are exposed.

Kurt

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that is the strategy that Mexico is following, then in a few months I would be more comfortable traveling to Mexico vs. someplace in the US like California where they have been aggressively flattening the curve. Why? Because in Mexico they would have let the disease spread quicker so in a few months many more people would have already been exposed to it and they would be approaching herd immunity sooner. In a place where they are aggressively flattening the curve, in a few months most people would still not have been exposed, so the probability that you have contact with newly-exposed asymptomatic person would be higher. Flattening the curve just lengthens the pandemic; it doesn't necessarily change the number who are exposed, it just changes the date they are exposed.

Kurt

Agreed. I believe Sweden is "similar" in that they (as of last week) were estimating they would approach herd immunity (70%) by end of May.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe

Bill

I've taken the bus from Mazatlán to Puerto Vallarta a couple of times - the trip through Nayarit is beautiful. The road, not so much - especially when it's raining and everyone is passing in no-passing zones! I would love to be in a car though, and have the ability to stop in the towns that pique my interest.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've taken the bus from Mazatlán to Puerto Vallarta a couple of times - the trip through Nayarit is beautiful. The road, not so much - especially when it's raining and everyone is passing in no-passing zones! I would love to be in a car though, and have the ability to stop in the towns that pique my interest.

We have made the drive from PV to Mazatlan. PV to Tepic is the slowest part as it is just a two lane road. It is a very pretty drive through the mountains. Tepic to Mazatlan is toll road so we did miss seeing the little towns along the way on this stretch. I think I like the toll road better than the free road to get somewhere but I like the free road for sight seeing.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had harbored a thought of driving to Maz for an extended stay, until one evening at a concert at Angela Peralta Theater, another couple in our box, new full time ex-pat residents, told me of a neighbor of theirs who bought a condo there, a new very deluxe pickup, and while driving to their first extended stay in Maz, were pulled over by banditos on the toll road, taken out in the woods, robbed and shot dead. Somehow the attractiveness of the drive lost it's appeal.

Jim

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had harbored a thought of driving to Maz for an extended stay, until one evening at a concert at Angela Peralta Theater, another couple in our box, new full time ex-pat residents, told me of a neighbor of theirs who bought a condo there, a new very deluxe pickup, and while driving to their first extended stay in Maz, were pulled over by banditos on the toll road, taken out in the woods, robbed and shot dead. Somehow the attractiveness of the drive lost it's appeal.

Jim

I have only heard of one incident, several years ago, where a tour group was robbed (not shot) while going to El Quelite. Do you have a link to a news story on this one?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have only heard of one incident, several years ago, where a tour group was robbed (not shot) while going to El Quelite. Do you have a link to a news story on this one?
Sorry. I don't. I simply took the conversation at face value. The gentleman seemed sincere that the incident had happened to his neighbor. I couldn't read the Spanish news anyway.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry. I don't. I simply took the conversation at face value. The gentleman seemed sincere that the incident had happened to his neighbor. I couldn't read the Spanish news anyway.

I use Google Translate - it does a pretty decent job, and opens up a lot of information from different perspectives. I've learned over the years not to take stories at face value, even in the states. At some point opinions left the editorial page and became 'news'.