• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

erixunz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're looking to make an exchange through RCI to either Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan Rivera. Any recommendations between which of the two would be a better option?

I'd also welcome any tips on staying in this area since this will be our first trip to the Cancun/Yucatan Peninsula area. Is it easy/safe to drive around?

Thank you!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're looking to make an exchange through RCI to either Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan Rivera. Any recommendations between which of the two would be a better option?

I'd also welcome any tips on staying in this area since this will be our first trip to the Cancun/Yucatan Peninsula area. Is it easy/safe to drive around?

Thank you!
Always grand more centrally located especially with children. Each level has a different wrist bands. Most of the best kids stuff. Mayan palace very nice, especially if you like to walk around. Very much lay back. Grounds very lush.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a couple tours. I drove, I can not recommend it. And I drove for a living. I had nationwide, they covered, but I still bought it so yes buy it

erixunz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a couple tours. I drove, I can not recommend it. And I drove for a living. I had nationwide, they covered, but I still bought it so yes buy it

Thanks for the advice. The airline is offering a deal for the rental car at $10 per day, but I would want full insurance which would be an additional $40 per day so we're rethinking whether or not to have a car. Does the resort offer a day rental?

Any specific tours you would recommend?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there in 2008. Vida right? It's very close to el cid that's about half way between Cancun and Playa de Carmen. It was miles between everything. In 2008 road had been widened. But nothing built till you reached Cancun. Same the other way.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The airline is offering a deal for the rental car at $10 per day, but I would want full insurance which would be an additional $40 per day so we're rethinking whether or not to have a car. Does the resort offer a day rental?

Any specific tours you would recommend?
Not in 2008, sorry.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
driving

The resort offers plenty of tours and I believe a free shuttle into Cancun. I was there a few years ago. I don't know why anyone would want to drive. As I have said many times before on here, when you drive in a foreign country and you have an accident and even if it was not caused by you, YOU will be at fault. You probably can't speak the language, you don't know the legal system and you probably won't be back for the trial (assuming you get out of jail on bail in the first place). Now there will be people who come on here and brag (they always do), well I live in NY city and I drove there 2500 miles through rain and sleet and didn't have a problem because I am god's gift to driving. This is all highly irrelevant. If it only happens one in a 1000, and if you are that one, it can be catastrophic.

I have been in about 35 different countries in the last 10 years and I always consider driving as a last resort. Yet it is amazing how many people can not think far enough out of the box, to consider any other method of travel. There are too many ways to have others drive for you and the risk of driving yourself is just not worth it.

rpennisi

Reaction score
If you have a choice take the Grand Mayan, nicer suites and a balcony. You can use the GM pool area and lake beach area, but cannot with Mayan Palace wristbands.

Never heard of a free shuttle to Cancun, but there is free airport pickup to the resort for everyone staying at the resort. Email ahead to the concierge for a reservation. If you rent a car, then not needed.

We used to rent a car, but now take taxis when we go. The car was more convenient when we did a lot of sightseeing. For instance, going to Chichen Itza without the bus and all the stops that it makes on a tour was a plus.

There are daily car rentals at the resort if you want a car short term.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Agreed, Grand Mayan over Mayan Palace.

Not to hijack the thread here but does anyone have an email address for the concierge to set up airport pick up? Leaving for Grand Bliss in a few weeks...

:banana:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera 3/4 weeks a year. We always rent a car. Our Platinum AMEX card covers all the insurance except for 3rd person liability insurance. That adds about $11 a day to the price of the rental. The road between Cancun and Playa -HWY 307, has been redone since you were there and is a pleasure to drive on.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera 3/4 weeks a year. We always rent a car. Our Platinum AMEX card covers all the insurance except for 3rd person liability insurance. That adds about $11 a day to the price of the rental. The road between Cancun and Playa -HWY 307, has been redone since you were there and is a pleasure to drive on.
Have they buit up from the resort to Cancun?

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amex

The platinum card is great because it provides primary coverage in all countries besides 4 or so. I use mine every time i rent a car. If you don't have the Platinum card you can still get coverage under the Amex Premium Car program if you have any Amex card. That charge is $24 PER RENTAL up to 42 days. It is not a daily charge. That is far cheaper than paying the rates of a rental car company. https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do is the site.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you want the stores and restaurants--Cancun or Playa area. We go into Puerto Morales from the Grand Luxxe and eat at John Grey's. The food there is fantastic. In Playa we like Yaxache which is Mayan food and we love El Fogon on Constitutiones which is a hole in the wall taco joint. I do not like the shopping in Playa lots of souvenir shops. They built a big mall but it's not my thing. In Cancun there are some fabulous restaurants and shopping. If you want restaurants in Cancun send me a PM.

BC Bum

Reaction score
El Fogon is awesome. I also like HC Monterrey and Babes Noodle Bar

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Transportation options

We're looking to make an exchange through RCI to either Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan Rivera.

I'd also welcome any tips on staying in this area since this will be our first trip to the Cancun/Yucatan Peninsula area. Is it easy/safe to drive around

--------

Hi - there is a recent thread from Nov 1 2015 -that may help,

" Best way to Wal-Mart from GM Riviera Maya " started by wheaties

It includes info on using the Collectivo system - which is how most of the resort staff get to work . It also has recent prices on cabs and resort shuttle vans

Hope this helps
not sure that you need to rent a car

Last edited:

wheaties

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just there last month and stayed at the Grand Mayan. The resort is huge and a lot of walking is involved. Paths and buildings are not very clearly marked and it took a day or two to get acclimated. There are shuttles that run every 15+ minutes or so to get between areas, but sometimes the wait is longer. The pools are gorgeous and well-maintained. Happy hour is from 12-4 each day, 2 for 1 drinks. Ran about $8 for two, have to be the same kind.

From what I understand, the Grand Mayan is an upgrade from the Mayan Palace. Our room was very comfortable and included the plunge pool. Kitchen supplies were a little less than usual. We ended up doing room service and going out for dinner instead of trying to cook dinner in because of that. We found the prices not bad at all after the exchange and did shop at the deli/grocery on site. The breakfast buffet at Del Lago was unbelievable and ran about $20/pp. The beds were comfortable and the room was serviced twice daily. There is a $75 "resort fee" which includes wireless internet for 3 devices. Overall it was pretty reliable.

The resort has a shuttle to Playa del Carmen and it costs $6/pp one way. It drops you off near the Wal-Mart or Mega stores if you want to go to town to get groceries. I believe it ran at 9,11,1, and 3 going into town and the return trips were at 12,2,4 and 6. It also drops you off right downtown if you'd like to just shop the touristy area.

The resort does offer transportation from the airport to the resort for free. You need to contact the concierge in order to arrange this. We arranged for the return airport transportation through the Grand Mayan and it was $15/pp.

We did go to the Cirque du Soleil show while there and, although not quite up to Las Vegas standards, it was very entertaining.

One word of advice - BUG SPRAY. You are in a "jungle" and the mosquitoes had a heyday with all four of us.

Our son was there playing in the PGA event while we were there and was staying at the Grand Luxxe in a 2 BR. All I can say is I will definitely try to get into there the next time -- it was absolutely gorgeous!!!

Enjoy!