• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 27 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 28 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG is asking for recent reviews of older resorts, earn a free year membership!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $17,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $17 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta

KatrinaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heading to the Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta next week (Jan 30th - Feb 6th). Are there any grocery stores and tamale stands/taquerias within walking distance? (We stayed at the Villa Palmar in PV last year and had plenty of things within walking distance).
Has anyone done the canopy tour? We looked at doing this last year but didnt get to it. Any company recommended over another?
How about the tequila refinery tours? Are they worth the time/effort?
Does the MP Nuevo Vallarta do massages on the beach? We did this at the Villa Palmar last year and LOVED it. Are hoping to repeat this year.
We did whale watching last year and saw three full breaches.....most phenomenal thing I've ever seen. We'll do again this year and stick with the same company. Was a smaller boat. Plus it had the purple flag so we could get closer to the pods and watch for longer before the military boats chased us off (very strict rules). I've got to find my ticket to get the name of the tour company.....we booked from Francesco on the beach.
Any recommended restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Katrina

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Grand Mayan 2 weeks ago.

Small grocery stores near both Grand Mayan and Sea Garden
A little past Sea Garden is xoxo ( like 7-11) better prices
can handle breakfast items easily between the 3 stores.

There is is also a meal plan ( see concierge to get/ top package is about $375 american when we were there) worked out well

breakfast buffet at Mayan Palace better then Samba at Grand Mayan

my post from a few weeks ago about meal plan
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87900&highlight=meal+plan

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Heading to the Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta next week (Jan 30th - Feb 6th). Are there any grocery stores and tamale stands/taquerias within walking distance? (We stayed at the Villa Palmar in PV last year and had plenty of things within walking distance).
Depends on what you define as walking distance and what you define to be a grocery store. Mayan Palace is on the south side of the Grand Mayan complex. There is a convenience store type of operation near the Grand Mayan, next unit to the north, and a similar store on the north end of the property. You probably could walk it carrying a few bags if the bags weren't very heavy.

No taco stands or taquerias nearby; Mayan would never allow such riffraff on their property. (The riffraff comment is tongue in cheek, because I love such places. But be assured that Mayan would never allow such an operation on their property, unless they ran it themselves.)

If you really want groceries you will need to go to Paradise Village (small grocery store) or get into town to go to Wal*Mart.

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
There used to be a taco stand at the side of the golf course, walkable from the Grand Mayan. It was on property and associated with the MP. It was reasonable and had good fajitas, we sent DH for takeout a few times. We also walked to a little Italian place not far from the Sea Garden. If you do some searching you might find better/more current info.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
There used to be a taco stand at the side of the golf course, walkable from the Grand Mayan. It was on property and associated with the MP. It was reasonable and had good fajitas, we sent DH for takeout a few times. We also walked to a little Italian place not far from the Sea Garden. If you do some searching you might find better/more current info.
The Taco stand/restaurant still exists. Cannot remeber name though it is a simple name Taco Place or something....

The Italian Restaurant is called Guido's.....there is also within walking distance just around corner from Guido's a restaurant called Nopal Beach, outdoor tables, and there is also a restaurant called El Set or ced, in close proximity to Guido's yellow building.

The on site grocery stores prices are very high....a better option would be to go to Paradise Village shopping mall to the grocery store there. There are also quite a few restaurants in this mall. The prices in grocery store are still high, it is a small store but has a lot of stuff and lower prices than store on site at Mayan. An even better option would be to get a cab, you probably need a cab to Paradise Village mall also, go to Mega Commercial in NV, actually in Bucerias but not too far from Mayan....large superstore closer than going into PV to Walmart.

agoldin

Reaction score
I don't know about tequila refinery tours but as part of our presentation, they gave us the "Jungle Tour," which included a stop at a tequila operation out in the mountains far from anywhere, and it was the best tequila we've ever had in our lives! Brought home 3 bottles and sure wish we could get more!

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
canopy tour

We were just at the Grand Mayan over New years week and highly recommend the Canopy Tour with Los Veranos . If you book online in advance, you can get a 10% discount - we had a ball with a group of four mid-50 yr olds and 5 young adult kids. The bus ride was scenic - thru downtown PV, to the south, and up into the hills ( with great views of the bay in the distance).

The buffet restaurant at the Mayan Palace next door is the best value for dining - it has a diff theme nightly and was about $25 - which is generally what you pay at their other restaurants onsite. The first night we ate at the onsite restaurant directly across the main lobby from the Grand Mayan (?? Green Break- sorry cannot remember the name). The food was not very good and expensive - stay away!

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband just recently did the Los Veranos Canopy Tour and in all we have done in PV and other parts of Mexico this is one thing he just keeps raving about!!!!

KatrinaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.

We'll take all the recommendations for food and such with us to use as a reference. Sounds like if we want to walk anywhere off property, best to take the train to the Sea Garden and then head out from there (either walk or catch the bus).

I read on the TUG reviews that MP has morning yoga classes on the beach that are good for beginners. Am excited about that as I have been wanting to try yoga. Hope it's free (I know how MP can be with charging).

Getting excited!!
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/images/smilies/hi.gif
Katrina

KatrinaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any kind of shuttle service between MP NV and MP PV??

Also, am I correct to understand from other posts that MP has NO internet connections in the room?

Thanks!

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the MP in NV does not have internet in rooms.....I have a 3G internet movil card from telcel in Mexico , so I had internet while there but that would not be an option for you....I believe you can use internet in lobby and also in some of lounges or such, not sure if there is a fee.....hopefully someone else will help u out