• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace hard sell to upgrade.

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
Here is the sales pitch they used with my wife and I.

In April of 2018 we purchased a Junior Suite DeLuxxe Club Level in Celebrate Park, Nuevo Vallarta. (1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, no kitchenette). 3 weeks for 10 years then 2 weeks per year for 100 years.
We returned in February 2019 and the salesman said that there was a "problem" with our contract. The salesman indicated that someone owned our unit previously and we bought out that persons contract. Supposedly the "lady from California" did not complete her payments to purchase this unit but she had an option to upgrade to a Grand Bliss at the former 2017 price the next time she came to a Vidanta resort. And since the Grand Bliss is "completely sold out" Vidanta would have to sell us a much larger/better unit at the 2017 Grand Bliss price to honor this stipulation in our contract. The other lie was that we could easily rent the unit for $3,000 per day 5 weeks per year and make our money back in no time. Yes, we knew this was BS but came in wanting to upgrade to at least a Grand Mayan two-bedroom suite anyway.

The upgrade we purchased is a two bedroom Loft Park Terrace in the Park in Nuevo Vallarta. The 2017 price for the two bedroom Grand Bliss Suite was quoted at an ADDITIONAL cost three times what we paid for the Junior Suite DeLuxxe.

We signed the contract but then had second thoughts and returned the very next day to back out of the deal. Our salesman said okay, however we should realize that we signed a form giving up our Junior Suite DeLuxxe. He said that we can back out of the upgrade but that means that we "are done with Vidanta since they likely sold our Junior Suite DeLuxxe yesterday." We didn't really believe this either, but we stuck with the upgrade figuring...Oh well, we overpaid for something that is more than we really need, but it sure is nice.

I wonder if this is a universal pitch or just our salesman. I'm curious if your salesman was a tall thin 24 year old named Luciano?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I just pulled my contract out and took a look. It states "The Company agrees not to modify the vacation units in the building that is the subject of this contract in any manner that significantly and adversely affects its use by Member."

So... does this mean they can't tear down the units or if they do, they must accommodate me in a better unit?

In 1999, when we first bought at the MP Acapulco, they were pushing units in an oceanfront unit called Crowne Suites. We did not buy that, but they were really nice oceanfront units that also overlooked the gigantic pool. These were more expensive than the MP. Around the time they were building the Grand Mayan (2005), they demolished this building. The people who had purchased Crowne Suites, were upgraded to a GM. I think it was the hotel unit, while not sure of the size, I know they were guaranteed ocean view. When we bought Sea Garden 2-bedroom, we could use a 1-bedroom MP for the cost of MF, so if they got a Hotel unit GM, they would have been able to use a 1-bedroom MP.

The point is - they will take care of you. Sometime or another, the MP units became MP Regency - these are the same units with different furniture. If you own MP, then they will still have a MP or MPR available for you in PV, RM, ACA, PP, MTZ and NV. Cabo has always only had GM. They will always have MP units because the newer generation of Mexican Nationals are buying these units too. If you have Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss, or Grand Luxxe, the same will be true.

Once you are part of the "family", you are in. That does not mean that they will not continue to "offer their newest and best", but you do not have to upgrade as they will have your specific units available at each resort. They just like to tempt you with newer and better.

Last edited:

Gypsykim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

In April of 2018 we purchased a Junior Suite DeLuxxe Club Level in Celebrate Park, Nuevo Vallarta. (1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, no kitchenette). 3 weeks for 10 years then 2 weeks per year for 100 years.
We returned in February 2019 and the salesman said that there was a "problem" with our contract. The salesman indicated that someone owned our unit previously and we bought out that persons contract. Supposedly the "lady from California" did not complete her payments to purchase this unit but she had an option to upgrade to a Grand Bliss at the former 2017 price the next time she came to a Vidanta resort. And since the Grand Bliss is "completely sold out" Vidanta would have to sell us a much larger/better unit at the 2017 Grand Bliss price to honor this stipulation in our contract. The other lie was that we could easily rent the unit for $3,000 per day 5 weeks per year and make our money back in no time. Yes, we knew this was BS but came in wanting to upgrade to at least a Grand Mayan two-bedroom suite anyway.

The upgrade we purchased is a two bedroom Loft Park Terrace in the Park in Nuevo Vallarta. The 2017 price for the two bedroom Grand Bliss Suite was quoted at an ADDITIONAL cost three times what we paid for the Junior Suite DeLuxxe.

We signed the contract but then had second thoughts and returned the very next day to back out of the deal. Our salesman said okay, however we should realize that we signed a form giving up our Junior Suite DeLuxxe. He said that we can back out of the upgrade but that means that we "are done with Vidanta since they likely sold our Junior Suite DeLuxxe yesterday." We didn't really believe this either, but we stuck with the upgrade figuring...Oh well, we overpaid for something that is more than we really need, but it sure is nice.

I wonder if this is a universal pitch or just our salesman. I'm curious if your salesman was a tall thin 24 year old named Luciano?

No, actually it was a blonde woman and she was sweet as pie until we said no. Then she got nasty.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

Oh my goodness - they are getting worse :eek:.

We plan to go again in 2020, but are not interested in the Park at all. We are in our 70's and will not upgrade again. Two weeks of 2-bedroom Grand Luxxe is just fine for us - especially with our Senior Certificate Addendum. We will pay our Renewal Fee in 2023 so that we can continue to go into our mid-80's. Our children and 1 grandchild are not the least bit interested in timeshares - they prefer VRBO - so why would we upgrade? Therefore, we do not waste there time going over to the sales office.

SunFunTravel

Reaction score
I just pulled my contract out and took a look. It states "The Company agrees not to modify the vacation units in the building that is the subject of this contract in any manner that significantly and adversely affects its use by Member."

So... does this mean they can't tear down the units or if they do, they must accommodate me in a better unit?

Yes, if for some reason the renovated all of your level's units to something better they would need to give you access to the next level up or better.

BC Bum

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Nuevo Vallarta Contract. I haven't used it since 2014, but even back then they were trying to get me out of it. They used the same ploy telling me they are phasing out the MP and there would be nowhere for me to stay. My answer was, you sold me a contract for 100 years and now not even 20 years later you are telling me you're reneging on that deal..AND you want me to invest more money in Vidanta? My contract aged like fine wine. Low MFs, 1 MF transfer fee, MF increases capped at 3%. But 5MFs renewal will be due in 2022. My wife is not comfortable traveling in MX these days, so we'll see.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I have a 1997 Nuevo Vallarta Contract. I haven't used it since 2014, but even back then they were trying to get me out of it. They used the same ploy telling me they are phasing out the MP and there would be nowhere for me to stay. My answer was, you sold me a contract for 100 years and now not even 20 years later you are telling me you're reneging on that deal..AND you want me to invest more money in Vidanta? My contract aged like fine wine. Low MFs, 1 MF transfer fee, MF increases capped at 3%. But 5MFs renewal will be due in 2022. My wife is not comfortable traveling in MX these days, so we'll see.

Keep me in mind when 2022 rolls around, or if you decide to stop using it before then. Sounds like a great contract to keep active.

Cactus Juice

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace

Yes, at our upgrade to MP nine years ago they divided the unit into it's independent parts showing how much rent we could bring in. Gave us the list of exchange businesses. Of course you have to pay to list it which we did for several years but never got a call. I just checked on them recently and they all seem to be out of business, probably due to Air B&B. At the latest sales pitch last month they said their new deal is to make us "owners" and we will be able to transfer or sell our unit without transfer fees. Bottom line they always have a new plan that requires more money. I did like the part of the new offer where they give you back in spending dollars the amount equal to the maintenance fee. Are you getting that? Dave

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Yes, at our upgrade to MP nine years ago .....At the latest sale pitch .....always have a new plan...... I did like the part of the new offer where they give you back in spending dollars the amount equal to the maintenance fee. Are you getting that? Dave

If you are referring to Vida Dollars( administered by ICE - (International Cruise & Expeditions) for Vidanta -it has mixed reviews on TUG .
There are some threads in the TUG Mexican Forum with information .Some find some value others don't .VIDA Sales definitely oversells it .