• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mauna Loa erupting at summit crater - 27/11/22

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
When we were there back in February, we spent a night at Volcano House to eliminate the long night drive. Just left most of our stuff at Kings Land and took an overnight bag plus camera gear and tripod. That works well for Kilauea, but wouldn't work for the Mauna Loa location well outside of the National Park.

Not sure if Mauna Loa will still be pumping when we're there in March 2023 - or if the new Saddle Road will still be open by then.
If the lava keeps moving toward the Saddle Road at its current speed, it will reach the road in late December. But it's likely that it may slow down some more or spread out/stall before it gets there, so I think it's anyone's guess. Certainly the experts aren't doing much predicting.

A week ago, the lava was moving so fast that it was only a couple of days from reaching the road, so it's slowing down pretty rapidly. But that could change. I hope the road won't get taken out.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If the lava keeps moving toward the Saddle Road at its current speed, it will reach the road in late December. But it's likely that it may slow down some more or spread out/stall before it gets there, so I think it's anyone's guess. Certainly the experts aren't doing much predicting.

A week ago, the lava was moving so fast that it was only a couple of days from reaching the road, so it's slowing down pretty rapidly. But that could change. I hope the road won't get taken out.
Yeah, the saddle between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa is considerably flatter than the higher elevations, so it naturally slows with less slope. Only time will tell.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just hope that Mauna Loa’s eruption is still as gentle (for lack of a better word) in time for our arrival in January, and not completely over by then.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
The VOG was more noticeable here in Waikoloa and Kailua-Kona today, but thankfully it didn’t seem to affect us. The sky just wasn’t as nice to look at.

We plan to view the lava flow tomorrow or Friday night, so hopefully the air will be a bit better. Then we fly over to Maui on Saturday, so hope the VOG isn’t as noticeable there.

It certainly hasn’t stopped us from enjoying our time here!

Best regards.

Mike

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Better news for the Saddle Road.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Someone is going to get seriously hurt and put first responders at risk

and trash left on the mountain:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We drove up there from Waikoloa late this afternoon and stayed for a bit after the sun set. It was very windy today and that continued during our visit. The temperature at 6pm was 50 degrees as we watched from Old Saddle Road. It was busy but overly so. There was also some clouds coming in from the Hilo side carried by the strong wind, so the view became more blocked the further east we drove. It was quite interesting to see even from a distance. We were glad we made the effort as we likely won’t have a chance to experience it again.

Best regards.

Mike

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yup, here now and of course it would be just my luck that both would dry up while I am here. We did manage to see Kilauea have a little steam a few days ago, then they announced the next day it was stopped. I think the eruption at Mauna Loa stopped the same day.