• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mauna Loa erupting at summit crater - 27/11/22

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The Big Island is busy with 2 eruptions going on.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Yeah, right. That's why you are listed as "Guest" instead of "Member". Nice try, though.

And again with the reading comprehension -- never said that either. You really have an issue with that, don't you.

Kurt

Ask TugBrian if it's that important to you.

Since the paid section doesn't have anything which applies to me, I've never pursued getting the label fixed.

Which route would you suggest? Thinking on going in a few hrs.

There really is no better route. Either you go around Mamalahoa to the north or to the south. Both are going to add hours to the trip. And the increased traffic from commuters is going to make a bad situation worse. I would avoid any east-west travel entirely. Just stay in whatever area you're visiting.

There are lots of people who live around Hilo but work in Kailua-Kona. They still have to get to work.

ScoopKona

Reaction score

Since it's impossible to see lava at Volcanoes NP (just the glow), everyone is flocking to the saddle road to get a glimpse. I'm glad I'm on vacation so I don't have to deal with the increased traffic. My wife said she hopes it's still going when we return -- so she can see lava fountains for the first time in her life.

I hope the eruption dies out just as soon as possible. I'll catch it next time. My neighbor drove the saddle road two days ago. He said it took hours because of all the lookie-lous.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Since it's impossible to see lava at Volcanoes NP (just the glow),
I don’t think this is true. We saw lava at Volcanoes NP in Kilauea back in February and I believe that same vent is still erupting. You park at the devastation trail parking area and walk a half mile or so down a closed portion of Crater Rim Rd to a NPS viewing site.

Here’s a pic.

0BC506E8-DA36-42AA-B340-D0785D6EC2E5.jpeg

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are two pics of the two eruptions caught in the same frame (Kilauea bottom left) taken in HVNP:

9C6A7974-8FBB-4E22-93FA-17247CFDA2C4.jpeg

968B56A8-3635-4830-BE01-2640F8362667.jpeg

(not my photos, author(s) unknown)

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I don’t think this is true. We saw lava at Volcanoes NP in Kilauea back in February and I believe that same vent is still erupting. You park at the devastation trail parking area and walk a half mile or so down a closed portion of Crater Rim Rd to a NPS viewing site.

Here’s a pic.

View attachment 69501

There was a big fence there last month when I tried to take visiting friends there.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
There was a big fence there last month when I tried to take visiting friends there.
The NPS website still lists that site we went to as a great lava viewing site for Kilauea. There was a fence to keep people on the viewing ledge, but it doesn’t block anyone’s view.

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
I have cancelled our Dec. 17-January 5 Big Island trip. Asthma. Have had 2 years of trouble with smoke from wildfires. The air quality in Kona is good now, but I can't chance it. Sigh. I am pretty close now to being superstitious about me & Hawaii. Out of 5 trips that we've planned, 4 down. Have made it when someone else plans it. But that's just silly thinking, yes?? Still planning on Maui Dec. 10-17 and if I can find something else on another island, at least another week.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it true that tourism is up because of this volcano erupting?

ScoopKona

Reaction score

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never got a code word. Oh well.

And the computer I used is 2500 miles away right now. I checked the Spam folder. But nothing.
You don't get a code word in an email sent to you. You get it by logging in here:

And when you view your membership info, you will see the Codeword assigned to you.

1670082007500.png

Great3

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have cancelled our Dec. 17-January 5 Big Island trip. Asthma. Have had 2 years of trouble with smoke from wildfires. The air quality in Kona is good now, but I can't chance it. Sigh.
Still planning on Maui Dec. 10-17 and if I can find something else on another island, at least another week.

Unfortunately, Maui is being hit with vog too.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it true that tourism is up because of this volcano erupting?

I also saw 2 news stories saying tourism was up. I wondered about that because a lot of people canceled their trip during the 2018 eruption. - No only to the big island but to the other islands as well. I remember Hawaii tourism trying to get through it out that the other islands were just fine to visit.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
From my 4 day experience Waikoloa and Kona are less busy than normal. We are at ocean tower currently we have been able to get front row parking all week and there were always multiple spots available. Lines at Island gourmet have been short. Broke da mouth only had a 30 minute wait for food.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
From my 4 day experience Waikoloa and Kona are less busy than normal. We are at ocean tower currently we have been able to get front row parking all week and there were always multiple spots available. Lines at Island gourmet have been short. Broke da mouth only had a 30 minute wait for food.
When you say less busy, are you comparing it to other years at this same time or comparing to different times of the year? The few weeks after Thanksgiving prior to the Christmas rush is generally one of their slower periods of the year anyway.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
The NPS website still lists that site we went to as a great lava viewing site for Kilauea. There was a fence to keep people on the viewing ledge, but it doesn’t block anyone’s view.
I was just there (it's basically the Keanakako'i Overlook) on Saturday night and saw lava from that location. There is not even a fence, just some traffic bollards with rope run between them. Certainly nothing that blocks the view.

Unfortunately, that site is a favorite for the paid tour groups who equip all of their participants with crazy-bright headlamps. So walking down the closed portion of Crater Rim Dr., you will be constantly blinded (and have your night vision ruined) by light-wearers (there was lots of moonlight and extra lighting was completely unnecessary the night I went.) Some of them even kept their lights on at the viewing site, which was really annoying. My advice is to go as late as possible (11 pm is what I'd suggest) as the tour groups seem to be gone by then.

I didn't try going to the Saddle Road at night for Mauna Loa viewing; they are giving out $1,000 fines for stopping for that purpose. They've now set up a one-way route on the old Saddle Road with the entrance near (but across the highway from) the rest stop that's roughly midway on the route. That's probably good viewing, but it's a long way to drive late at night to get there.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I was just there (it's basically the Keanakako'i Overlook) on Saturday night and saw lava from that location. There is not even a fence, just some traffic bollards with rope run between them. Certainly nothing that blocks the view.

Unfortunately, that site is a favorite for the paid tour groups who equip all of their participants with crazy-bright headlamps. So walking down the closed portion of Crater Rim Dr., you will be constantly blinded (and have your night vision ruined) by light-wearers (there was lots of moonlight and extra lighting was completely unnecessary the night I went.) Some of them even kept their lights on at the viewing site, which was really annoying. My advice is to go as late as possible (11 pm is what I'd suggest) as the tour groups seem to be gone by then.

I didn't try going to the Saddle Road at night for Mauna Loa viewing; they are giving out $1,000 fines for stopping for that purpose. They've now set up a one-way route on the old Saddle Road with the entrance near (but across the highway from) the rest stop that's roughly midway on the route. That's probably good viewing, but it's a long way to drive late at night to get there.
When we were there back in February, we spent a night at Volcano House to eliminate the long night drive. Just left most of our stuff at Kings Land and took an overnight bag plus camera gear and tripod. That works well for Kilauea, but wouldn't work for the Mauna Loa location well outside of the National Park.

Not sure if Mauna Loa will still be pumping when we're there in March 2023 - or if the new Saddle Road will still be open by then.