• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
does anyone have experience with marriott maui properties and Starwood
maui properties?

which is more attractive marriott or maui and why?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
maui properties?

I own at Marriott and have stayed at Westin and they are both terrific properties. I prefer Marriott because it is easier walk to Whalers Village, the pool system is more integrated (Westin the pirate ship is separate) and the expansive view of the ocean from the property. Westin has a better lock-off (more complete kitchen) and the pool is warmer - and the beach has better snorkeling.

But I am quibbling - I would stay at either property again without hesitation, but MOC is special to me.

Best,

Greg

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I've visited the Maui Marriott many times but never stayed. Great units and nice property. The pool area is very nice. I think the grounds are more lush. Now, I've stayed at the WKORV many times. We love to snorkel and the reef out front you can't beat. Also, the Westin has shuttle that takes you to the other 2 hotels: Sheraton and Westin Maui Hotel which makes it very easy to go out to dinner at Whaler's village without driving your car and walking. It also takes you to Lahaina (downtown where all the other restaurants are and another shopping center). Both properties are very nice. I have pictures of WKORV in the link in my signature if you want to see what the resort looks like.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I own at WKORV-North and Marriott Grande Vista. I did an Owners update at Maui Marriott this week and I am staying at WKORV. We were looking to add to our Maui ownership at one of these resorts.

We both agreed that WKORV was better for us than Marriott.

Marriot
Seems more crowded
No Cooktops in studio or in any of the original section units
Next to Whalers villiage
Slightly lower Maintenance fee for original section

Westin
Better beach
Less Crowded
Slightly nicer resort
Shuttle to Lahina and Whalers Villiage (via Westin hotel)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
maui properties?

Both are wonderful properties. We own at Marriott and have also stayed at the Westin villas. I love MOC but may actually prefer Westin. It is a very close call. HOWEVER, I would advise buying at MOC in the new towers rather than at Westin for one important reason--the maintenance fees at the Westin are MUCH higher. The difference was close to 50% greater, or at least it was 3 years ago when we attended a presentation there. I think the Westin maintenance fees for a 2BR are probably at least $3000/week now. Someone else may be able to give an exact figure.

LUV2TRVL2HI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both are wonderful properties. We own at Marriott and have also stayed at the Westin villas. I love MOC but may actually prefer Westin. It is a very close call. HOWEVER, I would advise buying at MOC in the new towers rather than at Westin for one important reason--the maintenance fees at the Westin are MUCH higher. The difference was close to 50% greater, or at least it was 3 years ago when we attended a presentation there. I think the Westin maintenance fees for a 2BR are probably at least $3000/week now. Someone else may be able to give an exact figure.

We have stayed at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club numerous times (both before and during the time we have owned at Westin's Ka'anapali Ocean Resort). We love both resorts -- for different reasons! We love all the activity on the beachwalk along the MOC and its proximity to the other hotels and resorts. We loved the pool at MOC (but didn't like how close it was to all the folks walking past along the beachwalk). Other times we love the Westin timeshare because it is away from the hustle and bustle of the beachwalk and the pool is more private. Yet there is a different less congested beachwalk up to the north of the Westin where we can get exercise also. Plus there is a free shuttle down to Whalers and the Sheraton and Westin hotels when we want to visit that area, as well as a free shuttle into Lahaina so we don't have to worry about paying for parking in the town. Lots of good things about each -- just depends on what you are looking for!

I don't know what the MFs are for MOC, but our 2-bedroom oceanview at KOR were $2182 for 2012.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
As far as Maintenance Fees based on owners update at both places these are what I was told as approximate figures

WKORV appx 2150

WKORV-North appx 2350

MOC sequel apx 2100

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've stayed at both several times. Until the new towers at MOC were built we preferred the Westin for the full kitchen and WD. Now we much prefer the MOC.

the kids like the pool better, I like the chairs with ocean view
kids like the refillable mugs ;-) and $1 snowcones
we like the walk to Whaler's without the hassle of timing the shuttle
love the views from the OF units
think the new tower units are nicer than Westin's

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
As far as Maintenance Fees based on owners update at both places these are what I was told as approximate figures

WKORV appx 2150

WKORV-North appx 2350

MOC sequel apx 2100

That is interesting to say the least. When they tried to sell us a 2BR at the Westin three years ago the maintenance fees were around $2700. We own at the new towers at MOC, so this difference really hit home. There must have been a maintenance fee reduction since then--perhaps it had something to do with their tax appeal? Did Starwood win that lawsuit?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
That is interesting to say the least. When they tried to sell us a 2BR at the Westin three years ago the maintenance fees were around $2700. We own at the new towers at MOC, so this difference really hit home. There must have been a maintenance fee reduction since then--perhaps it had something to do with their tax appeal? Did Starwood win that lawsuit?

You probably had the deluxe 2Br which is larger in square footage being a corner unit. I was just looking into one of these and the maintenance is now just under $2900, so I took a pass on the unit.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
You probably had the deluxe 2Br which is larger in square footage being a corner unit. I was just looking into one of these and the maintenance is now just under $2900, so I took a pass on the unit.
Wow. That is quite a difference in maintenance fees between regular and deluxe 2BR units. Any idea why so great?