• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui: With passing of founders, next generation carries on Mama’s Fish House legacy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you can't read this article, click the link on the page below to sign up for a free account:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We will be on Maui in April and we are trying to decide of we are going to Mama's. I think I will check and see if there are open reservations and then cancel of we decide not to go.

Mahalo for the article. shaka

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I am glad we went to Mama's the times we did. Some great meals and memories. But we don't go any longer. We don't like what it's become. We also don't like the drive across the island at night. First nail in their coffin (for us) was when they started valet parking. Then rising prices. It's just become someplace that is not a "must do". I know many people love it. But again, I'm glad I went way back when.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yeah, we are not used to restaurants with no prices on the menu.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can't read this article, click the link on the page below to sign up for a free account:
That was a very informative article about a family run restaurant .

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I am glad we went to Mama's the times we did. Some great meals and memories. But we don't go any longer. We don't like what it's become. We also don't like the drive across the island at night. First nail in their coffin (for us) was when they started valet parking. Then rising prices. It's just become someplace that is not a "must do". I know many people love it. But again, I'm glad I went way back when.

I'm thinking of a late lunch there for this trip but I'll see what's available.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm thinking of a late lunch there for this trip but I'll see what's available.
Lunch and dinner menu are the same. No prices on their website. When was the last time you ate at Mama's?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lunch and dinner menu are the same. No prices on their website. When was the last time you ate at Mama's?

Over a decade.

We just went on OpenTable and we now have a reservation for 4 at 2pm on April 25th.
We wanted the earlier reservation just because I don't like driving at night.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does OpenTable have pricing?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Over a decade.

We just went on OpenTable and we now have a reservation for 4 at 2pm on April 25th.
We wanted the earlier reservation just because I don't like driving at night.
I'll be interested in your review. Our last meal there was 2012. Even back then our daughter was amazed we were spending that much for a meal.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll be interested in your review. When did you eat there last? For us it was 2012. Even back then our daughter was amazed we were spending that much for a meal.

We didn't have smartphones the last time we were there. We did have a camera but most of those pictures are long gone. I'm guessing 2009?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does OpenTable have pricing?

My wife just corrected me and she saw it on Google in some pictures.

On OpenTable there was a review that said to expect to pay over $100 per person to enjoy yourself.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can we afford it? - yes.
Would my husband be happy? NO! :ROFLMAO:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
$100 a person for lunch? No thanks.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Yeah, we are not used to restaurants with no prices on the menu.

No prices on the menu is an absolute deal breaker. It means they're ashamed of what they're charging. "If we tell people, they won't come."

Also, the seafood from New Zealand, Antarctica and similar is ridiculous. With all the amazing seafood and produce we have right here, sourcing from anywhere else is freakin' lazy.

I saw their plating and that looks quite nice. But they should put more care into the front end than the back.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$100 a person for lunch? No thanks.

I'm sure we'll be around there. If I remember we were close to that way back when.

When we go to a place like that(which isn't often), I really don't pay attention to the prices. We know it will be expensive so I'm not going to settle on something less to save $20. I order what I want.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm sure we'll be around there. If I remember we were close to that way back when.

When we go to a place like that(which isn't often), I really don't pay attention to the prices. We know it will be expensive so I'm not going to settle on something less to save $20. I order what I want.
As I have said, we went to Mama's quite a few times over the years. Had some great meals and memories there. But it's not someplace I'm going to go back to. There are other restaurants on Maui that I like just as much and don't cost as much. I know I have a problem with restaurant prices at times. Same reason I have never gone to the French Laundry in Napa Valley. I don't think I would really appreciate a meal that cost that much.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife found these on Yelp and they are current prices.

Resized_Screenshot_20221203-133644_Yelp.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20221203-133123_Yelp.jpeg

Resized_Screenshot_20221203-133402_Yelp.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I have said, we went to Mama's quite a few times over the years. Had some great meals and memories there. But it's not someplace I'm going to go back to. There are other restaurants on Maui that I like just as much and don't cost as much. I know I have a problem with restaurant prices at times. Same reason I have never gone to the French Laundry in Napa Valley. I don't think I would really appreciate a meal that cost that much.

For us, sometimes places like this are a destination or event so we don't mind once in a while. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't read the prices for the entrees and can't find a way to make the pictures bigger.

Sorry, I can just pinch it bigger with my phone. I will try to enlarge and repost that one.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

No prices on the menu is an absolute deal breaker. It means they're ashamed of what they're charging. "If we tell people, they won't come."

Also, the seafood from New Zealand, Antarctica and similar is ridiculous. With all the amazing seafood and produce we have right here, sourcing from anywhere else is freakin' lazy.

I saw their plating and that looks quite nice. But they should put more care into the front end than the back.

Many restaurants do not put prices on their website menu listings, that way, they don't have to update the website every time they make a price change. Every time we have eaten at Mama's (most recently in Feb 2022), the prices are shown on the menus we have received after being seated, so that's all that matters to us. We'll be back when we're on Maui early next year. Already got the dinner reservation. No, it's not cheap, but we like great dining places, and dining out is always a big part of our vacation experience. The fact that it's such a hard reservation to get is indicative that Mama's clientele is not price sensitive. Friends who are joining us on Maui next year are planning to dine there twice - once for lunch and once, with us, for dinner.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jeff - No criticism from me. If you will enjoy it, go for it!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Maybe if we'd never been to Mama's I would be more interested in going. But in looking at the prices (which I can't see yet, lol) I'm not willing to pay those prices for a piece of fish. It was good when we went in the past, but never incredible, and not something we're willing to pay those prices for now.

Not criticizing anyone who wants to go there, just saying why we don't.