• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui transportation

sswise

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Maui and Vacation International
We (2) are traveling to Maui August 31 and with the expensive rental car cost, we are thinking of just using the transit (bus) system to get around.
the challenge is we want to do a Costco stop& shop when leaving the airport. We need to get from the airport to Costco from there to Kahana.
Thinking an Uber or cab from the airport to Costco. And perhaps an Uber from Costco to the main transit hub to get the bus to Lahaina/Kahana.
also thought about seeing if anyone had family or friends on Maui who wanted to make some $ to transport us
Thoughts?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I was able to book a bargain rental through Discount Hawaii Car Rentals for pick up in Wailea. It is Enterprise and includes a second driver, so our son can also drive the car and take the kids wherever they want to go.

We will take a shuttle or Uber to Wailea first, then get our car after a rewards' stay at Marriott's Wailea resort. We would then go to Costco. We have our kids coming to Maui and got a car with 7 seats. Try booking a car through that site with the option to look at all of Maui. It saved us $1,000 for our six weeks. That is a lot of savings. It was about $1,690 with all taxes/ fees for a 7 seater. We have never stayed in Wailea before and are looking forward to our stay. This is mid-February to late March for this trip. What a deal.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We (2) are traveling to Maui August 31 and with the expensive rental car cost, we are thinking of just using the transit (bus) system to get around.
the challenge is we want to do a Costco stop& shop when leaving the airport. We need to get from the airport to Costco from there to Kahana.
Thinking an Uber or cab from the airport to Costco. And perhaps an Uber from Costco to the main transit hub to get the bus to Lahaina/Kahana.
also thought about seeing if anyone had family or friends on Maui who wanted to make some $ to transport us
Thoughts?

If you have a smart phone then Uber may be your best bet. Getting an Uber may turn out to be another issue depending on demand and availability......

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thoughts?

If you are using the bus then you are traveling with a carry on only so Costco is out. You can purchase your groceries in the area you are traveling to. It would be better to use a shared shuttle and if you afford a shuttle an uber is not much more.

Bill

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue with Uber is wait times. When I was in Maui in April I gave up after 30 minutes and took a cab to the Westin.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
The issue with Uber is wait times. When I was in Maui in April I gave up after 30 minutes and took a cab to the Westin.

Will be dealing with this in a couple of weeks. Were cabs readily available? What should I expect for fare? Too bad Charley's Taxi seem to only operate on Oahu; they were great when I was in Honolulu in July also car-less.

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
May I ask what would be the expected fare from the airport to Westin please and thank you

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
May I ask what would be the expected fare from the airport to Westin please and thank you

In April Uber was quoting $60-65 from the airport to the Westin Villas. The cab cost me $92. Plus tips of course.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
From the time the plane landed to the time I called for an Uber in baggage claim the price went up from from about $40 to the $60-65I mentioned. Surge pricing at work.

Probably a plane load, or three, of people all landing at once and needing transportation. Planes from the west coast always seem to land within minutes of each other.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I just booked a compact rental car using Discount Hawaii Car Rental (thanks Cindy!) for Oct 9-16, 2021 for $1200.
So expensive!

Is this right?! Any better options?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
So I just booked a compact rental car using Discount Hawaii Car Rental (thanks Cindy!) for Oct 9-16, 2021 for $1200.
So expensive!

Is this right?! Any better options?
I just checked Costco. They show NO availability during that time. So I checked Enterprise, just to see, and they also show no availability. This may be your only option. If you want a car, keep that reservation. You can always register it with AutoSlash to see if they find anything cheaper, but I doubt it. I have several upcoming rentals registered with them and while in the past I would be getting emails often, I haven't gotten anything.

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked Costco. They show NO availability during that time. So I checked Enterprise, just to see, and they also show no availability. This may be your only option. If you want a car, keep that reservation. You can always register it with AutoSlash to see if they find anything cheaper, but I doubt it. I have several upcoming rentals registered with them and while in the past I would be getting emails often, I haven't gotten anything.
Check out Kihei-Rent-A-Car

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

TwilightHours

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Check out Kihei-Rent-A-Car
I can attest that I had a very positive rental experience from Kihei-Rent-A-Car in May of 2021 (my first time using them) and will use them again in November of 2021.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rates are coming down! I booked with Zealtrips, will try them in SLC tomorrow, and then again in Maui.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The rates are coming down! I booked with Zealtrips, will try them in SLC tomorrow, and then again in Maui.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Reporting back: My Zealtrips reservation put me with Avis in Salt Lake City, and I was a little concerned that the fine print said there may be addl taxes and fees added when I picked the car up. However, there was no add'l charges and no trouble with the reservation. In fact they upgraded us to a better car (they were busy and I guess that was all they had available!)

The price for Maui next week thru Zealtrips is still equal to the best price I've seen (incl the Priceline link on TUG, which I just found out about today). I'm so glad we will get a car for $315 for 6 days rather than $1200!!