• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui President's Week Rental

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I know everyone considers President's Week a prime week, but it doesn't look like it really pulls a premium rental fee, though I suppose it might rent easier overall.

For those that have rented out (or In I suppose) a 2BR OF in either old or new units I'd be interested in your experience on ease of renting or getting a premium for that week.

Thanks

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In my experience it doesn't pull a premium any more than another prime winter or summer week as the demand really seems to be at an all time high so rental prices are definitely up for any prime week.

I've never tried for Christmas and don't have New Year's plat+ weeks but i would think these are the only weeks that command a higher premium than a prime winter or summer week.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my experience, President's week is hard to book. I've only been able to do it as an add-on to earlier weeks booked (consecutive weeks). Talk around the pool suggests that getting that week via points is also difficult. Thus it would seem you could ask for more in rental than other weeks (ie early January). President's week is as busy as Spring Break weeks, so both should be in higher demand. Week 52 is generally blocked and available only to fixed week owners. This week should also be worth more rental $.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Revisiting this from an occupancy perspective. I've been on Maui during weeks 1-6, is President's week dramatically more busy/chaotic? Other than beach chairs being saved, and airfares higher, I guess I've never felt like the resort was packed.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Tried to book my Maui 2BD OF and MKO 3BD OV today at 13 months for President's week. Called at 9am ET exactly. I was on hold for 25 mins and MVCI rep didn't pickup until 9:25am ET. No Maui inventory for Fri/Sat/Sunday checking. :( MKO was available. We're not sure we can go these weeks next year, given work schedules may change once more....so not totally disappointed. But, first attempt at Maui reservation at 13 months for President's week was a fail. Bummer. I'll keep checking back to see if inventory changes or becomes available. If not, I'll try again at 12 month inventory window. Guess those booking with 13 months + 1 week (or more) get the MOC President's week reservations. In future, I guess I'll need to do that if I definitely want that week.

Given I was on hold waiting for 25 mins, does anyone find it faster to book consecutive/concurrent weeks online? I've never used those feature online, but have looked briefly at them. It seems a little confusing/complicated? What do others think?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I missed my 13 Months out Monday date looking for 2BR OF MOC Week 8, 23 Feb, so I called back on Thursday and was able to get Sun-Sun, 24 Feb. Tried again this morning and also got a 15 minute hold. They said to try periodically, usually early morning, but that best chance will now be at 12 month release date.

FWIW, I did verify the most succinct script to use when you finally get a Rep on the phone...since I assume every second counts:

1. Call Res Line to get in at 9am ET
2. My owner number is XXXXXX
3. My email is YYYYYYY
4. I’m booking my Legacy Week (or Points if doing that) Apparently they either have the Points screen up or have to choose which system, once they know what you need.
- If you have multiple weeks on your account, state which one you are reserving for, e.g., Maui Ocean Club MH Week Z for Feb 17, 2019 (MH*xxxx*xx*B), etc.

I've done the above twice and once I got someone on the line we were looking at dates within 20-30 seconds.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Tried to book my Maui 2BD OF and MKO 3BD OV today at 13 months for President's week. Called at 9am ET exactly. I was on hold for 25 mins and MVCI rep didn't pickup until 9:25am ET. No Maui inventory for Fri/Sat/Sunday checking. :( MKO was available. We're not sure we can go these weeks next year, given work schedules may change once more....so not totally disappointed. But, first attempt at Maui reservation at 13 months for President's week was a fail. Bummer. I'll keep checking back to see if inventory changes or becomes available. If not, I'll try again at 12 month inventory window. Guess those booking with 13 months + 1 week (or more) get the MOC President's week reservations. In future, I guess I'll need to do that if I definitely want that week.

Given I was on hold waiting for 25 mins, does anyone find it faster to book consecutive/concurrent weeks online? I've never used those feature online, but have looked briefly at them. It seems a little confusing/complicated? What do others think?

The online Weeks booking tool doesn't work for instant confirmations of multiple consecutive/concurrent reservations. It's a request form that gets handled by Owner Services after the telephone queue is processed, so it's basically useless for mid-to-high-demand inventory.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
The online Weeks booking tool doesn't work for instant confirmations of multiple consecutive/concurrent reservations. It's a request form that gets handled by Owner Services after the telephone queue is processed, so it's basically useless for mid-to-high-demand inventory.

Thanks Sue. Good to know! Mahalo!

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I have MMOC Lahaina Villas, President's Day week, and Spring-Break weeks, and those weeks rent out at a higher rate. Mine rent out about $800 more per week than the other winter weeks for 3-Bedroom. They are high floor ocean front. When I put the President's Day week up for rent, it rented out in four days.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I called this morning at 9:02 AM EST to make a reservation, and was on hold for 25 minutes. I was using a few existing reservations on the front-end for a March 2019 reservation at Mountainside. I was able to get the reservation. Most likely, a MMOC reservation would be more difficult to obtain. It is nice that winter weeks in Maui coincide nicely for ski weeks in Park City.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting Pres week 2BDRM OF is a tough task, This year I couldn't get it going 13 months plus 2 weeks believe it or not. I did get a Sunday check-in with an OV but not an OF. I think I know the person who grabs all these prime weeks. He seems to do so every year and then lists them for rent. Last year I was able to get a few at the 12 month window, but on the computer and not at the opening of the availability window but by persistent checking. The way it happened it almost seemed like Marriott didn't release all the units at 9am EST at the 12 month window because as I continued to search multiple weeks and units became available. Not sure if it was people throwing units back but it seemed to be too many for that scenario so I assumed it was something Marriott was doing.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Getting Pres week 2BDRM OF is a tough task, This year I couldn't get it going 13 months plus 2 weeks believe it or not. I did get a Sunday check-in with an OV but not an OF. I think I know the person who grabs all these prime weeks. He seems to do so every year and then lists them for rent. Last year I was able to get a few at the 12 month window, but on the computer and not at the opening of the availability window but by persistent checking. The way it happened it almost seemed like Marriott didn't release all the units at 9am EST at the 12 month window because as I continued to search multiple weeks and units became available. Not sure if it was people throwing units back but it seemed to be too many for that scenario so I assumed it was something Marriott was doing.

I seem to recall you mentioning previously about the 12-month inventory becoming available after 9am at 12 months. Over what time frame after the 9am/12-month point did you wind up searching to find your unit(s)?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Since I don't want to risk the reservation I have confirmed for a Sun-Sun, can I search for a Sat-Sat, without releasing that confirmation? This would be for a legacy week, not points.

I know the Rep has to 'uncouple' it to do a search, while not cancelling, so guessing not....which makes it hard to do manual search.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall you mentioning previously about the 12-month inventory becoming available after 9am at 12 months. Over what time frame after the 9am/12-month point did you wind up searching to find your unit(s)?
I really don't recall exactly but I believe it was over a few days to 10 days or so. I just remember it seemed like more than a few units of multiple dates that popped up so I just thought it was too many to be explained by throw backs but I could be wrong and maybe it was and all the units are released at 9am at the 12 month window.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I don't want to risk the reservation I have confirmed for a Sun-Sun, can I search for a Sat-Sat, without releasing that confirmation? This would be for a legacy week, not points.

I know the Rep has to 'uncouple' it to do a search, while not cancelling, so guessing not....which makes it hard to do manual search.

Yes without giving up that Sunday check-in you would have to call in and a rep would have to check which does make more difficult to secure.

Back in the day we religiously went to Maui Pres week because the kids were out of school and I never had a probelm securing the week but that was 2BDRM OVs which are easier to secure than OFs.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Back in the day we religiously went to Maui Pres week because the kids were out of school and I never had a probelm securing the week but that was 2BDRM OVs which are easier to secure than OFs.

This is an important and encouraging statement for us...we are currently waiting on ROFR for an EOY 2BDRM OV at MOC, so the fact that OV is easier than OF is encouraging. We don't need - nor necessarily want - Presidents Week, but we will usually be looking to be able to travel any time in the February-March timeframe (maybe January some years). That OV is easier than OF is an encouraging tidbit, since at least initially, we will be restricted to the 12 month window unless we opt to book consecutively with our Silver Barony Beach Club and deposit Barony to II.

We may also need to ask the current owner to book a 2019 week for us that will transfer with the ownership change (since we likely won't be able to close/transfer before the Feb/Mar weeks are gone), so if OV is easier, that also helps since we'll be asking someone else to do the booking work for us.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't need - nor necessarily want - Presidents Week, but we will usually be looking to be able to travel any time in the February-March timeframe (maybe January some years).

I think with this approach you'll be fine with either OF or OV. It's just when you're looking for a specific prime week like Pres week or really any other Feb-March week and don't have flexibility is where you could have a challenge. With that said I think the best bet is try for what you want at 13 months and if you don't get it be on the phone and computer at 12 months and keep searching until you get what you want.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think with this approach you'll be fine with either OF or OV. It's just when you're looking for a specific prime week like Pres week or really any other Feb-March week and don't have flexibility is where you could have a challenge. With that said I think the best bet is try for what you want at 13 months and if you don't get it be on the phone and computer at 12 months and keep searching until you get what you want.

The only way we have right now to book at 13 months is by using our Silver Barony as the lead-in week for 13+1 for Maui (assuming of course, we pass ROFR and actually become MOC owners). I have mixed feelings on "sacrificing" that week just to get the 13 month reservation because it commits us to doing an II trade with the Barony week.

In any event, as I said above, since the week we're trying to buy is EOY-Odd, due to the timing, we'll probably need for the existing owner to try to get our 2019 reservation at the 12-month point, so the 2021 use year will be the first time we'll be able to book it ourselves. A lot can change by then - maybe we'll buy a second MOC EOY-Odd, if we buy a house in Hilton Head we might sell the Barony week, maybe Marriott will offer their post-2010 resale week enrollment offer again and we'll decide to enroll the Maui week with a points buy, or maybe none of that will happen and it will be status quo. We'll see. We have to pass ROFR first. Waiting with fingers crossed...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Hopefully not too far off topic: how hard is a Sat-Sat MOC OV/OF rental to get, particularly first weeks of January, say 12JAN19-19JAN19? Is a rental week this timeframe hard to get?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Early January should not be hard, based on what I've seen on RedWeek and Vacation Candy. I know the pool is different, but I was always able to do a II trade into MOC with my Vail Week 15 in January without too much drama, albeit the matches started coming inside 90 days the last four years. One in Lahaina Tower now for the 12th, for around $5K, which is a pretty nice price.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Hopefully not too far off topic: how hard is a Sat-Sat MOC OV/OF rental to get, particularly first weeks of January, say 12JAN19-19JAN19? Is a rental week this timeframe hard to get?

Not sure on rental prices for that week, but I would imagine it is reasonable. Much more so than February. January in general tends to be a low travel month across the board, irregardless of destination. While, it's still great for Maui whale watching!

For reserving that week, when I called this AM again trying to book my MOC 2BR OF, there was obviously no President's week availability. :( Actually, no availability at all in February per the MVC rep. The closest date they had was January 12th check-in. As such, this tells me January may also be less demand for owner inventory.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe

When 12 month inventory is released, does it work the same for individual reservations online? Or are those immediate?

Thinking online may be faster than phone at 12 months at 9am ET?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
When 12 month inventory is released, does it work the same for individual reservations online? Or are those immediate?

Thinking online may be faster than phone at 12 months at 9am ET?

At 12 months the online reservations are true online reservations - real time.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Can't speak to whether Prez Week garners a higher rental income, but I just got back from staying 2 weeks in our EOYE Island View and got up at 3:45am HST both Monday, 2/15 & 2/22 to be able to call in right at 9am EST phone opening at MVC to book our 2 Napili EOYO Oceanfront weeks concurrently, hoping against hope that I could at least secure ONE of my 2 bdrm OF weeks. I got right in (thank you, Lord! LOL) at the 9am EST opening and got advisors that were sharp and knew what they were doing as I spit out my owner#, email and what I wanted. There was NOTHING. NO availability for any Fri/Sat or Sun c/i. *sigh* :( So TxTortoise, seems to me you might be able to get a little more maybe??

I asked if there was ANYTHING since zero 2 bed OF's were available for the week before Prez Week, Prez Week itself or the week following. I normally have flexibility for my dates but this time I have my DD#1, her DH and my 2 little grands coming and they don't want to miss more than 1 week of school (we will be staying at Aulani in a 3 bed GV on my DVC points for the 2nd week), so I REALLY have to have one of those 3 weeks mentioned..... well, the advisor was able to find two 1 bdrm and two Guest rooms so in desperation I locked off both my beautiful 2bdrm OF villas in order to book SOMETHING that would house my total party of at least 10 people. Bad news? The Studios check in on Friday and the 1 bedrooms check in the next day.... :wall:. They keep telling me check at the 12 month window... and I'm hoping for that but I work every Thursday starting at 7am so I don't think that will work for me to call in... which I will have to do since I will be trying to change a rez vs. booking my 2 weeks.

Any advice, dear Tuggers? And good luck TxTortoise! :hi: