• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui or Big Island March 2013 - any chance?

lmkucala

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Still trying for Maui or Big Island March 2013

I've been searching every day/multiple times per day for a resort with RCI Points for the last week of March, 2013 (checking in sometime between 3/28 and 3/31) with still no luck?

Is there a timeframe soon that folks think any of this will open up? or at this point should I give up hope and look to book somewhere else during that week?

Any advice/help is appreciated!

Chilcotin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you ever try to set up an ongoing search in points? I had read this couldn't be done but they let me do it. I did it through the special Vacation Village reservation department at RCI. There was no charge to set up the search.

I was able to get a second week on the Big Island by having an ongoing search at the same resort I was able to get through a points booking. This was for January 2013.

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those interested - I finally got something!

Last week during my several times daily RCI points searches Raintree Kona Reef popped up as available 3/30/13-4/6/13! I did a 24-hour hold on it while I did some quick research and grabbed it! Reviews on TUG were minimal but both TripAdvisor and RCI reviews indicate it is a comfortable resort - in Kailua-Kona walking distance to shops and restaurants and on the beach! It appears it is now just called Kona Reef resort and may be operated by Diamond (vs. Raintree) but frankly I don't care!

I've done a few searches since I booked this and continue to see nothing else pop up so I consider myself extremely lucky! I'm just assuming I was searching at the right time while this popped into inventory.

So excited - the countdown to Big Island next March begins!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last week during my several times daily RCI points searches Raintree Kona Reef popped up as available 3/30/13-4/6/13! I did a 24-hour hold on it while I did some quick research and grabbed it! Reviews on TUG were minimal but both TripAdvisor and RCI reviews indicate it is a comfortable resort - in Kailua-Kona walking distance to shops and restaurants and on the beach! It appears it is now just called Kona Reef resort and may be operated by Diamond (vs. Raintree) but frankly I don't care!

Kona Reef is, and always has been, just Kona Reef. It happens that Raintree Vacation Club has some inventory at Kona Reef, so what you are seeing identified as "Raintree Kona Reef" is just one of the Kona Reef units that arrived in RCI via Raintree.

Diamond is not involved at all at Kona Reef to the best of my knowledge. Diamond and Raintree have an inventory swapping arrangement, which has resulted in Diamond listing all of the Raintree Resorts as affiliate resorts. But Diamond has no ownership at Kona Reef, and is not involved in resort operations. A limited amount of the Raintree Kona Reef inventory does make it into the Diamond Club through the inventory swapping arrangement I mentioned earlier.

lmkucala

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kona Reef is, and always has been, just Kona Reef. It happens that Raintree Vacation Club has some inventory at Kona Reef, so what you are seeing identified as "Raintree Kona Reef" is just one of the Kona Reef units that arrived in RCI via Raintree.

Diamond is not involved at all at Kona Reef to the best of my knowledge. Diamond and Raintree have an inventory swapping arrangement, which has resulted in Diamond listing all of the Raintree Resorts as affiliate resorts. But Diamond has no ownership at Kona Reef, and is not involved in resort operations. A limited amount of the Raintree Kona Reef inventory does make it into the Diamond Club through the inventory swapping arrangement I mentioned earlier.

Thanks - interesting as I did not really know how all of that worked - so good to know I guess? Not sure if in my case it really matters? From my perspective I'm just extremely happy to have found something that appears to be a reasonable place to call home on the Big Island for a week!

Aaron Kristen

Reaction score
For those interested - I finally got something!

So excited - the countdown to Big Island next March begins!

Great for you!!
We also have locked down our travel. We were UNABLE to match our exchange needs through RCI. Went on the resale/rental market, and got 3 consec weeks at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian.
To wait to try and get that illusive exchange, or not.
A bird in the hand....

countdown for us now as well