• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Ocean Club General Manager's Update

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Took advantage of a rainy/windy morning on Maui to attend General Manager Bill Countryman's weekly property update for owners. A lot of great information was shared. Here is a summary:

State DLNR Beach Renourishment
This is the project where the State Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is partnering with the Kaanapali Resort Association to transport 75,000 cubic yards of sand by barge from a sandy area off shore from Black Rock and redistribute it along south Kaanapali from Canoe Beach below the Hyatt all the way to the Sheraton. As recently as December, this project was slated for fall 2024, but after seeing the severe erosion on Kaanapali from last summer, DLNR decided to accelerate the project by a year. The project is now scheduled to take place in the fall of 2023 - from October 1st thru December 15th, 7 days a week from 6am-6pm. The sand will be dropped in several places along the beach - including one near MOC and the Hyatt - and spread by bulldozers and other equipment. Countryman did say that there is still a small group of locals dedicated to stopping the project, but he seemed confident that support from the Mayor and DLNR was strong enough that it will get done.

Kaanapali Beach Walk Repairs
Restoring the beach walk damaged last summer in front of the Kaanapali Ali'i is still under review. Countryman said the Ali'i is required by the resort association rules to restore a walking path, subject to any necessary approvals. Several options are being discussed, including an elevated boardwalk.

The Boat
They are still working with the insurer and the salvage company to get the boat removed from the beach in front of MOC. The local opposition group was successful in blocking the plan to transport it to the public Canoe Beach below the Hyatt, so they are now finalizing a plan to bring it off through the MOC private property near Napili Tower. He didn't mention when, but it seemed like it might happen soon, pending an upcoming site review by the contractor.

2023 MOC Projects
- The Main Electrical system for MOC 1 (original towers) including switches and transformers will be replaced this fall. The MOC 1 Towers will be under hospital-grade generator power 24/7 for two months during the final conversion.
- They are finalizing a new contract with Starbucks that will result in a major renovation to the Starbucks space later this year.
- All 18 public restrooms will be renovated this year
- By Mid-March they will open the Kealani Juice Truck on the Napili Lawn

2024-2025 MOC Projects
- MOC 1 full villa renovation and plumbing/drain line replacement will take place between June 1, 2024 and June 30, 2025. Groups of units will be taken offline in phases during this time, so expect reservations to get tougher during this period. The plumbing work includes replacing all of the drain/sewer lines from the units to the main lines and will require cutting into unit walls and floors. As a result, the bathrooms will be totally redone, with new sinks tubs, and now, walk-in showers. A 2BR unit will still have three bathrooms, but the Master bath will get a new shower instead of a tub. He said the renderings of the new bathroom are awaiting approval by Marriott International brand standards, so he couldn't share them yet. He expects a spring President's Newsletter in April or May should have full renderings. The new flooring will be luxury vinyl instead of tile. This renovation will include both hard goods and soft goods in addition to the bathroom reconstruction and flooring. The proposed assessments outlined in the December 2022 President's Letter are still probable, although exact timing and precise amounts will not be finalized until the bids are in on the plumbing work. The Board will be addressing this at an April 2023 meeting.
- The MOC 1 roof will be replaced starting in December 2024, but that could slip into 2025, and will take one year.

2025-2026 Projects
- MOC 2 (Lahaina/Napili) will get a soft goods refurbishment starting in August 2025 and work will extend into 2026. After this MOC 2 refurb and the preceding MOC 1 refurb, all phases will be aligned with furnishings and soft/hard goods decor.

Future Kitchen Refurb/Cooktops in MOC 1
The completion of the electrical switch replacement that will take place this coming fall will clear one hurdle to adding a small two-burner cooktop in MOC 1 as the electrical systems will then be able to accommodate it. The other hurdle is that adding a cooktop will require the countertops/cabinetry to be modified, so that needs to wait until the normal scheduled appliance/cabinet/countertop replacement cycle, which is currently planned for 2028. They have begun reserving funds for the two-burner cooktops to be added at that time.

Here are some renderings that were shared of the new proposed Living/Dining Room and the Master Bedroom renovation:

MOC 1 Living Dining Room.jpg

MOC 1 Living Room.jpg

MOC 1 Master Bedroom.jpg

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Great up, thanks Jim! I'm still surprised about the S.S. MOC on the beach. I could have cut that thing apart with a sawzall and carted it out in less than a day if need be.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
It is nice to know MOC will be adding full kitchen capacity. The lack of full kitchen functionality is the main reason we don't go to MOC. Hopefully we can visit MOC soon as we've stayed at WKORVN for almost 10 years. Time for something new.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I am not a fan of the two burner stove. I dont like smelling what others are cooking throughout the day. I want to smell the ocean air. Seems to be its a fire hazard also.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Wouldn't adding cooktops mean exhaust fans too ?

Does he do this every week ? Never seen it mentioned when there.

Thanks for the report.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Does he do this every week ? Never seen it mentioned when there.

Thanks for the report.
My impression is yes, it’s every week. It wasn’t listed on any of the weekly activities schedules, but I had seen something online that he does this, so I asked at the front desk, and they said Wednesday at 10am in the Owners Lounge. As it turned out, the rain/wind that morning flooded the Owners Lounge, so they moved it around the corner to the Executive Conference Room. I would guess there were 20-25 owners there.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It is nice to know MOC will be adding full kitchen capacity. The lack of full kitchen functionality is the main reason we don't go to MOC. Hopefully we can visit MOC soon as we've stayed at WKORVN for almost 10 years. Time for something new.
Just FYI, MOC already has full kitchen capacity in the two purpose-built towers - Lahaina and Napili. It’s just the original phase that was a hotel conversion that has the mini kitchens. We are in Napili now on an Abound reservation for our second week (we stayed in our owned unit in the original towers for week one). Here are a couple of pics of the Napili/Lahaina kitchens.

IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_3705-1.jpg

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Just FYI, MOC already has full kitchen capacity in the two purpose-built towers - Lahaina and Napili. It’s just the original phase that was a hotel conversion that has the mini kitchens. We are in Napili now on an Abound reservation for our second week (we stayed in our owned unit in the original towers for week one). Here are a couple of pics of the Napili/Lahaina kitchens.

View attachment 74098View attachment 74099
Good to know that MOC already has room with full kitchen. My question is how difficult to exchange into this room with full kitchen? Do they have 1 br which fits our needs better? I still refuse to accept Abound right now, so I hope to use II to exchange into it. I believe this is another building and has different II code? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I'm interested in seeing what the new layout would look like with a stovetop. There's already little counterspace, and seeing as how I refuse to cook my own meals while on vacation, it'd be useless for me. And to be clear, I'm not opposed to it at all. I know many others prefer cooking in the unit.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wouldn't adding cooktops mean exhaust fans too ?
I think that is why they are referring to modifying the kitchen cabinets. I don't think it requires exhausts that go outside.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Good to know that MOC already has room with full kitchen. My question is how difficult to exchange into this room with full kitchen? Do they have 1 br which fits our needs better? I still refuse to accept Abound right now, so I hope to use II to exchange into it. I believe this is another building and has different II code? Please correct me if I’m wrong.
We only use our owned weeks and Abound and never use II, so I can't address trading into the newer MOC towers via II. I believe Lahaina and Napili are a unique II code. We booked a 1BR OF with full kitchen for our stays in 2022 and 2023, and already have 2024 booked. Each booked using ClubPoints at 12 months out. Haven't used II in many years.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We received back to back MOC II trades, one 2BDRM GV in MOC 1 and a 2BDRM OV MOC 2 for the following week, next month, so II trades to MOC 2 do occur. I used a HHI HP summer week for 1 and a 2BDRM LO MGC Vegas for the MOC 2 so if you have comparable traders there is no reason to think you can't get an MOC 2 through II.

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Nice update, thanks OP, much appreciated.

TRS

Reaction score
Took advantage of a rainy/windy morning on Maui to attend General Manager Bill Countryman's weekly property update for owners. A lot of great information was shared. Here is a summary:

State DLNR Beach Renourishment
This is the project where the State Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is partnering with the Kaanapali Resort Association to transport 75,000 cubic yards of sand by barge from a sandy area off shore from Black Rock and redistribute it along south Kaanapali from Canoe Beach below the Hyatt all the way to the Sheraton. As recently as December, this project was slated for fall 2024, but after seeing the severe erosion on Kaanapali from last summer, DLNR decided to accelerate the project by a year. The project is now scheduled to take place in the fall of 2023 - from October 1st thru December 15th, 7 days a week from 6am-6pm. The sand will be dropped in several places along the beach - including one near MOC and the Hyatt - and spread by bulldozers and other equipment. Countryman did say that there is still a small group of locals dedicated to stopping the project, but he seemed confident that support from the Mayor and DLNR was strong enough that it will get done.

Kaanapali Beach Walk Repairs
Restoring the beach walk damaged last summer in front of the Kaanapali Ali'i is still under review. Countryman said the Ali'i is required by the resort association rules to restore a walking path, subject to any necessary approvals. Several options are being discussed, including an elevated boardwalk.

The Boat
They are still working with the insurer and the salvage company to get the boat removed from the beach in front of MOC. The local opposition group was successful in blocking the plan to transport it to the public Canoe Beach below the Hyatt, so they are now finalizing a plan to bring it off through the MOC private property near Napili Tower. He didn't mention when, but it seemed like it might happen soon, pending an upcoming site review by the contractor.

2023 MOC Projects
- The Main Electrical system for MOC 1 (original towers) including switches and transformers will be replaced this fall. The MOC 1 Towers will be under hospital-grade generator power 24/7 for two months during the final conversion.
- They are finalizing a new contract with Starbucks that will result in a major renovation to the Starbucks space later this year.
- All 18 public restrooms will be renovated this year
- By Mid-March they will open the Kealani Juice Truck on the Napili Lawn

2024-2025 MOC Projects
- MOC 1 full villa renovation and plumbing/drain line replacement will take place between June 1, 2024 and June 30, 2025. Groups of units will be taken offline in phases during this time, so expect reservations to get tougher during this period. The plumbing work includes replacing all of the drain/sewer lines from the units to the main lines and will require cutting into unit walls and floors. As a result, the bathrooms will be totally redone, with new sinks tubs, and now, walk-in showers. A 2BR unit will still have three bathrooms, but the Master bath will get a new shower instead of a tub. He said the renderings of the new bathroom are awaiting approval by Marriott International brand standards, so he couldn't share them yet. He expects a spring President's Newsletter in April or May should have full renderings. The new flooring will be luxury vinyl instead of tile. This renovation will include both hard goods and soft goods in addition to the bathroom reconstruction and flooring. The proposed assessments outlined in the December 2022 President's Letter are still probable, although exact timing and precise amounts will not be finalized until the bids are in on the plumbing work. The Board will be addressing this at an April 2023 meeting.
- The MOC 1 roof will be replaced starting in December 2024, but that could slip into 2025, and will take one year.

2025-2026 Projects
- MOC 2 (Lahaina/Napili) will get a soft goods refurbishment starting in August 2025 and work will extend into 2026. After this MOC 2 refurb and the preceding MOC 1 refurb, all phases will be aligned with furnishings and soft/hard goods decor.

Future Kitchen Refurb/Cooktops in MOC 1
The completion of the electrical switch replacement that will take place this coming fall will clear one hurdle to adding a small two-burner cooktop in MOC 1 as the electrical systems will then be able to accommodate it. The other hurdle is that adding a cooktop will require the countertops/cabinetry to be modified, so that needs to wait until the normal scheduled appliance/cabinet/countertop replacement cycle, which is currently planned for 2028. They have begun reserving funds for the two-burner cooktops to be added at that time.

Here are some renderings that were shared of the new proposed Living/Dining Room and the Master Bedroom renovation:

View attachment 74037

View attachment 74038

View attachment 74039
Thanks so much for this information. Any idea of what the assessment will be per year/per unit for MOC I and MOC II?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks so much for this information. Any idea of what the assessment will be per year/per unit for MOC I and MOC II?

According to the December 2022 President’s letter, MOC1 will be $500-$600 assessed in 2023 and again in 2024. MOC2 will be $600-$700 or so on the same schedule. Those were preliminary numbers with final numbers TBD at an April 2023 board meeting. They said to expect a formal communication in May and a due date this summer.

Reactions: TRS

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I will also note that the certainty that Mr Countryman expressed in early March that I reported in my OP - that the beach re-nourishment project was a go - was premature. A couple weeks later, the state DLNR pulled their half of the funding in response to the local opposition to any beach repair. The project now appears dead.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
I was looking up Mr. Countyman, MVCI GM, when I found this thread.
He failed to respond to an email I sent him last week. My email, see below, was in response to an email I received regarding upcoming hefty assessments on my 3 bedroom Villa in the Napili building. My husband and I have been loyal MVCI owners for 25 plus years and I'm disappointed he can't be bothered to get back to me one way or another. Has anyone else had this experience or gotten a legitimate response to your questions?

Dear Mr. Countryman,

Years ago I upgraded my old 2 bedroom in the original building to a new 3 bedroom in the newest tower. I did that because the salesman said it would be wise so we could avoid plumbing assessments for the old building as they didn't have garbage disposals and old plumbing in MOC1.
Today as I read your letter I'm going to be charged assessments to help the old building that I got rid of for this exact reason. Can you please advise why owners in Napili have to pay assessments? It doesn't seem fair based on what your salesman told us and why we upgraded to the new tower in the first place.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Mahalo!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I was looking up Mr. Countyman, MVCI GM, when I found this thread.
He failed to respond to an email I sent him last week. My email, see below, was in response to an email I received regarding upcoming hefty assessments on my 3 bedroom Villa in the Napili building. My husband and I have been loyal MVCI owners for 25 plus years and I'm disappointed he can't be bothered to get back to me one way or another. Has anyone else had this experience or gotten a legitimate response to your questions?

Dear Mr. Countryman,

Years ago I upgraded my old 2 bedroom in the original building to a new 3 bedroom in the newest tower. I did that because the salesman said it would be wise so we could avoid plumbing assessments for the old building as they didn't have garbage disposals and old plumbing in MOC1.
Today as I read your letter I'm going to be charged assessments to help the old building that I got rid of for this exact reason. Can you please advise why owners in Napili have to pay assessments? It doesn't seem fair based on what your salesman told us and why we upgraded to the new tower in the first place.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Mahalo!

Basically the sales person lied or didn't know better. Both old and new sections are under the same HOA.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Thankfully, MVC Sales is organizationally separate from MVC resort operations. Just think what kind of resort we'd have if the operations people lied with every breath like the folks in sales!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Basically the sales person lied or didn't know better. Both old and new sections are under the same HOA.
Thank you for answering my question dioxide45!!!
One would think Mr. Countryman could have had the decency to respond to an owners simple question. I have always loved my MVCI ownership and how it works for me. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be ignored.
Customer service should always be number one.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you for answering my question dioxide45!!!
One would think Mr. Countryman could have had the decency to respond to an owners simple question. I have always loved my MVCI ownership and how it works for me. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be ignored.
Customer service should always be number one.

It always go back to "if their lips are moving" in regard to timeshare sales. Always trust but verify. Certainly Bill Countryman could have replied, but he really doesn't have any control over sales since he is in resort operations.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mahalo!!