• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Ocean Club – assessment coming?

JimT

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems most of the assessment is related to items with a useful life of over 20 years. Wouldn't it be logical to find a way to spread the assessment over a similar timeframe? (i.e. maybe financing it over 20 years)

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I would hope if a refurbishment is in the future, the entire sofa will get replaced.
Hey, I’m trying to keep my expectations low over here… :)

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
even worse,,,the new building owners pay more each year ($663) than the old building owners ($592) if you own a 2 bedroom. The 3 bedroom owners pay $796 for 2 years. Ouch, I own 4 weeks in the new towers.
Well yeah, why wouldn't the new new building owners pay more? It's not like this is an apples to apples comparison.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why should they pay more when the pipes being fixed do not involve the new towers?
It was answered in the letter that was posted.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
It seems most of the assessment is related to items with a useful life of over 20 years. Wouldn't it be logical to find a way to spread the assessment over a similar timeframe? (i.e. maybe financing it over 20 years)
My take on what they stated in the letter and other MOC meeting publications is that this plumbing issue was an unexpected item and was not included in their normal replacement planning, like with roof replacement and interior refreshes. I remember someplace where it was supposed to last the life of the building. So no funds were ever put aside for the work. We would have to go back in Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine to take care of that expense. And we can't borrow $28 Million and pay increasing amounts of interest on it for the next 20 years. We're stuck with paying for it now, biting the bullet and moving forward.
Not happy about it. One of my weeks is MOC2 so I'm not even getting anything out of that charge. Maybe someday something unexpected will happen to MOC2 and MOC1 will get to pay for it too. If we own long enough, it will eventually happen...

WahooWah

Reaction score
An owner told me today they received something in writing that detailed these assessments. Does anyone have a copy of this letter they can share?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
An owner told me today they received something in writing that detailed these assessments. Does anyone have a copy of this letter they can share?
Read the first page of this thread. Posts #5 and #9 to be specific.

cowboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if these pipes were inspected at the time Marriott converted the hotel to timeshares. If so I wonder what the inspection revealed. If they were not inspected then Marriott should give a satisfactory reason for not doing so and if they cannot give a satisfactory reason then it seems to me that maybe they should bear the cost of repairs to something that might should have been done during the conversion.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder if these pipes were inspected at the time Marriott converted the hotel to timeshares. If so I wonder what the inspection revealed. If they were not inspected then Marriott should give a satisfactory reason for not doing so and if they cannot give a satisfactory reason then it seems to me that maybe they should bear the cost of repairs to something that might should have been done during the conversion.
It has been over 20 years. If they inspected at the time and saw 20 more years of acceptable life on them and they were within code, I can see why they would not bother upgrading at that time with the plan to push that cost off on the HOA later. Just how it goes with these types of hotel conversion. At least at Aruba Ocean Club, Marriott did cover a fairly significant cost of the roof repair.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I had thought for several years that the Maui Ocean Club's reserves were kind of light for even the forecasted expenses and I was concerned that there would likely be a significant special assessment in the future. That was a major reason we sold our units, the last one a year ago. Now we only own at Grand Chateau, whose finacials look stronger than any timeshare we have owned.