• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MAUI OCEAN CLUB…BEST BUILDING FOR AN OCEAN FRONT STUDIO

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Hi all..my wife and I have decided to book an ocean front studio for the Maui Ocean Club for my son and fiancé’s honeymoon in 2023..any ideas on the best building to book?

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
We have an Oceanview one-bedroom and location-wise, we prefer the Molokai building. It is closer to the Whaler's Village shops and restaurants. My family enjoys the evening stroll towards Balck Rock. Depending on the month, the whale sightings are always spectacular from the room or on the boardwalk.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Keep in mind, the towers are traditional villas with washer/drier and full kitchens. The original building units are nicely done hotel conversions, and as such do not have those things. Wanted to point that out in case it matters in your decision making.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, for a studio, there are no washers/dryers/kitchens. In any building. The ones in the old buildings are cheaper (in points) and are closer to the water. The ones in the two new buildings are farther from the ocean and you would need a 'higher" floor to clear the palm trees. You won't go wrong with any ocean front room.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Remember, for a studio, there are no washers/dryers/kitchens. In any building. The ones in the old buildings are cheaper (in points) and are closer to the water. The ones in the two new buildings are farther from the ocean and you would need a 'higher" floor to clear the palm trees. You won't go wrong with any ocean front room.
Good point. Missed the fact they were asking about a studio.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Hi...since they will be honeymooning for 2 weeks in Hawaii and after input from other tuggers we have decided to do a ocean front unit studio in Maui for their first week and for their second week,a 1 bedroom ocean view unit at Ko’Olina,which I believe has a washer/dryer in the unit..we are leaning towards an ocean front studio in the Molokai or Lanai towers..I don’t believe they will be making many meals while on their honeymoon…one more question..do they have washer/dryers available for people staying in the studio units on site?

Last edited:

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Common (free) laundry in main building. Some laundry rooms with single washer/dryer on a few floors in new buildings.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We have an Oceanview one-bedroom and location-wise, we prefer the Molokai building. It is closer to the Whaler's Village shops and restaurants. My family enjoys the evening stroll towards Balck Rock. Depending on the month, the whale sightings are always spectacular from the room or on the boardwalk.
They will be in Hawaii April 2023…not sure if it’s whale watching season..good to know that there are restaurants and shops within walking distance…do you rent a car?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Hi...since they will be honeymooning for 2 weeks in Hawaii and after input from other tuggers we have decided to do a ocean front unit studio in Maui for their first week and for their second week,a 1 bedroom ocean view unit at Ko’Olina,which I believe has a washer/dryer in the unit..we are leaning towards an ocean front studio in the Molokai or Lanai towers..I don’t believe they will be making many meals while on their honeymoon…one more question..do they have washer/dryers available for people staying in the studio units on site?

Do them a favor and do not book them in a studio. Maybe I'm spoiled, but they're way too small and I always like a little elbow room. 1 br units are so much more comfortable, especially for a honeymoon.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Do them a favor and do not book them in a studio. Maybe I'm spoiled, but they're way too small and I always like a little elbow room. 1 br units are so much more comfortable, especially for a honeymoon.
Hi..they really prefer an Ocean Front unit in Maui..they have stayed at studios at many MVC properties…Points for an OF studio is 2925 for 7 nights..points for an OF 1 BR is 4125..they prefer a studio OF rather than staying in a 1 BR Island/mountain view unit..their second week will be at Ko‘OLINA in a 1 BR OV unit..thanks for your input.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi..they really prefer an Ocean Front unit in Maui..they have stayed at studios at many MVC properties…Points for an OF studio is 2925 for 7 nights..points for an OF 1 BR is 4125..they prefer a studio OF rather than staying in a 1 BR Island/mountain view unit..their second week will be at Ko‘OLINA in a 1 BR OV unit..thanks for your input.

An OF 1 br would be much more comfortable. They do have 1 br OF, I stayed in one at Christmas a few years back and it was fabulous. They don't have to have a 1 Br IV/MV when there is a 1 br OF. It's worth the difference.

Last edited:

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
An OF 1 br would be much more comfortable. They do have 1 br OF, I stayed in one at Christmas a few years back and it was fabulous. They don't have to have a 1 Br IV/MV when there is a 1 br OF. It's worth the difference.
1200 point difference…for a studio OF compared to a 1 BR OF at MOC,Thats a question only they can answer..I know the Ocean View 1 BR unit in Ko’Olina for their second week is 3575…my wife and I are gifting them the 2 weeks..so I will get their input..thanks

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Molokai has ground floor units, lanai tower has a restaurant on the first floor, so units start on the second floor. From what I remember, those first floor units wouldn’t have as nice of a view, assuming there are first floor studios in the Molokai tower. Since they’re on their honeymoon I doubt they’ll be to concerned about which tower. They might find a ground floor unit where they can walk directly off the patio to be better than any view.

It has been a few years since I’ve been there and my memory isn’t always as clear as I like to think. I do remember thinking to myself, “I’m glad we’re not in one of those units” because they didn’t appear to have as good of a view.

My opinion was the common area laundry was very nice with a good selection of machines. No waiting on someone to move their laundry the day I used it I wasn’t impressed with the common area kitchen and never had any inclination of using it.

I have a photo album of the resort, which includes the laundry and common kitchen areas at https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriott-s-Maui-Ocean-Club-Feb--

keep in mind this album is a few years old, so some things may have changed. I do know the restaurant has changed hands since we were there last.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been very comfortable the years we have stayed in a studio. There's enough of a fridge for milk for cereal, and you can heat up things in the microwave. If you're eating most meals out, you don't need the dishwasher or larger fridge. There's plenty of room, and the view is important, as is the balcony to watch whales. And, it's for their honeymoon. Yes a second bathroom (in 1br unit) is handy, but for a week I'd recommend going for the view in a studio.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Molokai has ground floor units, lanai tower has a restaurant on the first floor, so units start on the second floor. From what I remember, those first floor units wouldn’t have as nice of a view, assuming there are first floor studios in the Molokai tower. Since they’re on their honeymoon I doubt they’ll be to concerned about which tower. They might find a ground floor unit where they can walk directly off the patio to be better than any view.

I think I was in the Lanai tower, it was about 10 years ago, over Christmas and it was a last minute trade. I just remember the extra long lanai as I was on the third floor I think ?? I believe there was a common room on the second and I was at the level of the palm trees. With how much the lanai extended out and the overhang of the unit above, I could lay down length wise suntanning and no one could see me. It was one the most amazing units with a great view being ocean front. It's been years since I've stayed there and I think they may have renovated since I was there as I think it was before the common kitchen was put in.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I think I was in the Lanai tower, it was about 10 years ago, over Christmas and it was a last minute trade. I just remember the extra long lanai as I was on the third floor I think ?? I believe there was a common room on the second and I was at the level of the palm trees. With how much the lanai extended out and the overhang of the unit above, I could lay down length wise suntanning and no one could see me. It was one the most amazing units with a great view being ocean front. It's been years since I've stayed there and I think they may have renovated since I was there as I think it was before the common kitchen was put in.

You mean like this? We enjoyed the balcony as well

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You mean like this? We enjoyed the balcony as well

I think so it looks like the unit I was in. I just remember how I didn't want to leave as the ocean was right there. I thought it would be crappy being on such a low floor, but when I went outside to the lanai, I was like WOW!!!!!

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points

It has been a few years since I’ve been there and my memory isn’t always as clear as I like to think. I do remember thinking to myself, “I’m glad we’re not in one of those units” because they didn’t appear to have as good of a view.

My opinion was the common area laundry was very nice with a good selection of machines. No waiting on someone to move their laundry the day I used it I wasn’t impressed with the common area kitchen and never had any inclination of using it.

I have a photo album of the resort, which includes the laundry and common kitchen areas at https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/Travel/TImeshare/Marriott-s-Maui-Ocean-Club-Feb--

keep in mind this album is a few years old, so some things may have changed. I do know the restaurant has changed hands since we were there last.
Thanks for the photos..MOC looks absolutely awesome…talked to my son and fiancé earlier today…they are all in on the OF studio in either the Molokai or Lanai building…they prefer a smaller OF unit and will not be spending a lot of time in the unit..the common area laundry room was indeed very nice and seems convenient…thanks for the information.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
My wife and I have been very comfortable the years we have stayed in a studio. There's enough of a fridge for milk for cereal, and you can heat up things in the microwave. If you're eating most meals out, you don't need the dishwasher or larger fridge. There's plenty of room, and the view is important, as is the balcony to watch whales. And, it's for their honeymoon. Yes a second bathroom (in 1br unit) is handy, but for a week I'd recommend going for the view in a studio.
Hi..did you rent a car while staying at MOC?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks for the photos..MOC looks absolutely awesome…talked to my son and fiancé earlier today…they are all in on the OF studio in either the Molokai or Lanai building…they prefer a smaller OF unit and will not be spending a lot of time in the unit..the common area laundry room was indeed very nice and seems convenient…thanks for the information.
1200 points is about an $850 difference.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The OF Studios on the south corner of the Lanai tower are OV at best. I'm not sure they would get assigned there, but I'd clarify with room control if they consider those OF or OV at time of assignment. Unless they want a walk-out, I'd ask for 6th floor or above. If you are reserving with points, priority of assignments start with the date of reservation, so I'd do it ASAP.

You should still have whales in April.

These diagrams may help and note that offset corner is coded OF. (top image in middle column of photo)

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
The OF Studios on the south corner of the Lanai tower are OV at best. I'm not sure they would get assigned there, but I'd clarify with room control if they consider those OF or OV at time of assignment. Unless they want a walk-out, I'd ask for 6th floor or above. If you are reserving with points, priority of assignments start with the date of reservation, so I'd do it ASAP.

You should still have whales in April.

These diagrams may help and note that offset corner is coded OF. (top image in middle column of photo)

Thanks for the information..I will be using points for the reservation..good to know priority of room assignments start with the date of reservation..I will book the first day units are released..whale watching from the lanai would be awesome.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Is it necessary to rent a car whe staying at the resort?…if so,is there a car rental agency on property?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Is it necessary to rent a car whe staying at the resort?…if so,is there a car rental agency on property?

If you want to get out and see anything of the island a car is a must. I don't know if they have a rental agency on property. Most people rent at the airport. It does look like there is a daily fee for parking. But double check on that as it might be free for owners.

A few years (well 10 I guess) ago my nephew got married. My sister got them a room at a Sheraton on the Big Island. She (my sister) was convinced they didn't need a car as she felt the hotel/resort would have everything they needed. According to the hotel they had the "best" restaurants on the island. :rolleyes: We decided to gift the newlyweds with a car rental. They told us later they were so happy to have the car as it did enable them to get out and see other parts of the island.

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does look like there is a daily fee for parking. But double check on that as it might be free for owners.
No fee for owners, trades or MVCI point stays.
I did the math and the rate I got was cheaper than the four airport transfers to and from hotel. Plus allows you to go where you want and eat where you want. And more importantly, allows you to stop at the pie shop on the way there and back. And also we were able to spend as much time as we wanted at the chocolate tour.