• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui mandates Contact Tracing for all travelers

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Maui mandates Contact Tracing for all travelers

'AlohaSafe Alert' App required for all Maui visitors beginning January 19th

Effective January 19, 2021, Governor Ige has approved Maui Mayor Victorino's request for the mandatory contact tracing requirement for all travelers from both the mainland and interisland to Maui.

The latest emergency rules read as follows: "All travelers into Maui County, whether interisland or transpacific, who wish to avoid quarantine by pre-testing within the State's Safe Travels Program, must additionally download either the AlohaSafe Alert application or another Google-Apple Exposure Notification System application, or enable their exposure notification setting on their mobile device. Proof of registration, such as showing airport screeners or any law enforcement officer, the application installed or setting enabled on a traveler's mobile device, is required. Failure to register with an exposure notification system before arrival into Maui County shall result in mandatory quarantine, except for any individual under the age of 18 or who does not possess a mobile device. Only for those who do not possess a mobile device, at least one individual in their traveling party will be required to comply."

All travelers to Maui, beginning January 19th, must download the AlohaSafe Alert App on their mobile phone before departing for Maui. If a traveler attempts to do so on arrival, it will too late and quarantine will be required. Travelers to Maui may also want to review the latest Public Health Emergency Rules notice effective 01/19/21.

Exceptions to the Maui contact tracing requirements.

There are a few situations, as per the emergency rule quoted above, that will not require the AlohaSafe Alert app. The exceptions are:

Traveler utilizes an alternative contact tracing app. (must be a Google-Apple Exposure Notification System).

Any travelers under the age of 18.

Any traveler who do not possess a mobile device, when at least one other person in the party has the app.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
WTF?

So glad we canceled our April trip. There is no way DH would have consented to this.

Hawaii just might be removed as a permanent travel destination for us.

We always turn off our phones when traveling and leave them in our room.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is the last straw for our trip. We are scheduled for Maui in May and were talking last night that we should give up for this year and just cancel

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
WTF?

So glad we canceled our April trip. There is no way DH would have consented to this.

Hawaii just might be removed as a permanent travel destination for us.

We always turn off our phones when traveling and leave them in our room.
Completely agree. Zero interest in traveling to Hawaii. Ridiculous overreach.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I also wanted to visit Hawaii but they are (and continue doing so) making it more and more difficult for visitors with rules which are consistently being added or adjusted.

I'll revisit the issue in 2022 or 2023 when things may be a little more normal. Hopefully!

Instead, my visit will be limited to buying a Hawaii grown pineapple and staying at home to enjoy it.

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is this a problem? Wouldn't you want to be notified if you had been exposed to someone with Covid, which is what this app does?
Do you honestly think your credit card doesn't have a lot more information on you?
I just downloaded the app and will use it for our February trip. Whatever it takes to keep them safe and open to tourism, I will do my bit.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We also do not understand why it is a big deal.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We are here now and do not technically have to do this, but we both downloaded it and I am the biggest privacy nut around. They have disclaimers about that and besides I also would like everyone that matters know if there is possibility of infection.

We are all in this together and Hawaii's stance on this is the reason they have the lowest rates in the 50 states and the only state without a winter surge.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
This does no bother me at all, I use a similar App in California where i live. There are many apps for your phone that track your location for commercial purposes. The Home Depot app know which store your in to help you locate items. The Best Buy app knows when you arrive in the store to pick up your order, etc. There are many many more examples.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
When we stopped to eat at a resort we were not staying ,Sheraton , they took all our contact information, which made us feel quite safe

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Why is this a problem? Wouldn't you want to be notified if you had been exposed to someone with Covid, which is what this app does?
Do you honestly think your credit card doesn't have a lot more information on you?
I just downloaded the app and will use it for our February trip. Whatever it takes to keep them safe and open to tourism, I will do my bit.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
While this doesn't seem to be a big deal the constantly changing rules and procedures for going and staying in Hawaii make it an undesireble vacation option. The earliest we are planning on going is Fall 2021 and were hoping that by then the rules are either set or have been eliminated and the vaccine is in everyone's arms. I have stopped paying attention to the rules since by the time we go I am sure they will change 5 or 6 more times so why learn rules that will be obsolete now.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the problem folks? This has been fully approved by Mr Dorsi and Mr Zuckenberg, the minister of Truth and the minister of Happiness and Health.

Nothing promotes health like Google Ads or Doubleclick. This is on alohasefealerts.org, the site that promotes the app.

1611147354193.png

And while we are at it, maybe Hawaii can explain their urge to share with Twitter information about those that visit their site (blocked by Firefox in the image)

1611147609232.png

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought your credit card information was supposed to stay private. Maybe you should also print your statements, just in case they ask for them. Or better yet, upload them in the app if that feature exists.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What is the problem folks? This has been fully approved by Mr Dorsi and Mr Zuckenberg, the minister of Truth and the minister of Happiness and Health.

Nothing promotes health like Google Ads or Doubleclick. This is on alohasefealerts.org, the site that promotes the app.

View attachment 31271

And while we are at it, maybe Hawaii can explain their urge to share with Twitter information about those that visit their site (blocked by Firefox in the image)

View attachment 31272
They are just showing their Twitter feed at the bottom of the page, not sending anyone's tin foil hat data to Twitter.
Screenshot_20210120-092535_Chrome.jpg

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are just showing their Twitter feed at the bottom of the page, not sending anyone's tin foil hat data to Twitter.
View attachment 31277
I was wondering where the insult was gonna come first, very classy. Remember, I was not signed in Twitter and I did not click on the link but it does not matter, these companies will always try to install a third party cookie on your computer. Twitter's business model is to actually use and sell your data and it would be naive of you to think otherwise.

1611168788523.png

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am familiar with Cookies and other tracking technologies. Personally they don't bother me, i accept that as part of the price for use and ease of use. If you don't like cookies use a blocker or find a different website.

But by now we have drifted pretty far off Hawaii travel...

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I was wondering where the insult was gonna come first, very classy. Remember, I was not signed in Twitter and I did not click on the link but it does not matter, these companies will always try to install a third party cookie on your computer. Twitter's business model is to actually use and sell your data and it would be naive of you to think otherwise.

View attachment 31282
The reference you provided on the Hawaii website was to an embed of the agency's Twitter feed.

I can assure you I have a strong understanding of cookies, tracking etc. The Twitter link was none of those. As you noted in a prior post, the site itself participates in Google analytics tracking, as does almost every major website. People can use tools to block this as you have done.

My tin foil crack was not directed at you, but if the hat fits...

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am familiar with Cookies and other tracking technologies. Personally they don't bother me, i accept that as part of the price for use and ease of use. If you don't like cookies use a blocker or find a different website.

But by now we have drifted pretty far off Hawaii travel...
We are right at the core of the issue since contact tracing and privacy (or the lack of) cannot be dissociated. I think you put the finger on the problem, in the name of conveniency people are signing a pact with the "devil". I hope you appreciate that not everyone is comfortable with this. If you enjoy swimming nude for example, it is your prerogative (in certain places) but you probably do not assume that everyone has to be comfortable with it.

This is another article about your data.

What bothers me about this measure is that again there is no attempt to provide any scientific explanation for this. Do you know how many people currently use it in Hawaii? From what I read just 5%! I just do not see how this is actually useful. What if you "forget" to charge your phone? What if you leave it on the chair when you go to the pool bar to buy a drink and that's were the infected person is? What if you do not take it with you when you drive to Costco? What if you truly forget it in the room when you go out? I do not know about others, maybe it is useful for the locals returning home but as far as I am concerned I do not see how I would spend 15 min in the proximity of anyone that is not part of my family, I have not done it in 9 months and I am not gonna start in Hawaii.

You are saying that the app is being used in California. The rumor is things are not going well in California so I do not see why others should adopt anything that California is doing.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are right at the core of the issue since contact tracing and privacy (or the lack of) cannot be dissociated. I think you put the finger on the problem, in the name of conveniency people are signing a pact with the "devil". I hope you appreciate that not everyone is comfortable with this. If you enjoy swimming nude for example, it is your prerogative (in certain places) but you probably do not assume that everyone has to be comfortable with it.

I don't consider this a deal with the devil, but yes i can understand that others may feel different from me. That's OK, we don't have to think alike and agree on everything.

What bothers me about this measure is that again there is no attempt to provide any scientific explanation for this. Do you know how many people currently use it in Hawaii? From what I read just 5%! I just do not see how this is actually useful. What if you "forget" to charge your phone? What if you leave it on the chair when you go to the pool bar to buy a drink and that's were the infected person is? What if you do not take it with you when you drive to Costco? What if you truly forget it in the room when you go out? I do not know about others, maybe it is useful for the locals returning home but as far as I am concerned I do not see how I would spend 15 min in the proximity of anyone that is not part of my family, I have not done it in 9 months and I am not gonna start in Hawaii.

You are saying that the app is being used in California. The rumor is things are not going well in California so I do not see why others should adopt anything that California is doing.

I don't know what the adoption rate of the app in Hawaii or any of the other states participating is. My guess is that its very low. And as you point out even if people install the app may not take their phone everywhere. Overall i consider these apps just one tool in the arsenal. They are probably unlikely to make much of dent in the infection rate, but if they help protect me I am happy about that.

I am similar to you in that i try to minimize the interaction i have people outside my family. That said we are going to Maui in the near future, and i am sure i will be close proximity to others during my time in the airports and on the plane.

Lastly the problems in my home state of California are more than rumors, they are real. I was not using CA as an example to demonstrate the effectiveness. I mentioned that simply because i am familiar with the Ca app. Many other states use the same database: The AlohaSafe Alert app is interoperable with other Exposure Notification apps from states that reside on the APHL national server. So far, these states are Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. For an updated list of interoperable states, please visit the following link: https://www.aphl.org/programs/prepa...19-Response/Pages/exposure-notifications.aspx If your fine with contract tracing then the more states participating the better, if your against the idea then more states is probably scary...

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for deleting it, I am happy I did not respond. I am not being sarcastic, I am pleased we did not go tit for tat.