• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui/Kaanapali Dining

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I suspect that this is largely a Spring Break phenomena, but it may repeat as summer travel arrives so I offer this suggestion. If you’re going to Maui in the next few months and like visiting nice restaurants I’d recommend making your dinner reservations perhaps a month or more in advance. Not even the steak house in the Hyatt hotel in Kaanapali has a single reservation (for two) available the entire week much less more desirable places like Lahaina Grill, and I started checking over a week ago.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I suspect that this is largely a Spring Break phenomena, but it may repeat as summer travel arrives so I offer this suggestion. If you’re going to Maui in the next few months and like visiting nice restaurants I’d recommend making your dinner reservations perhaps a month or more in advance. Not even the steak house in the Hyatt hotel in Kaanapali has a single reservation (for two) available the entire week much less more desirable places like Lahaina Grill, and I started checking over a week ago.

Yes, our sales force has been saying the same thing. Our sales force on Maui thinks this will sustain even without changes to travel to Hawaii. The other islands feel it is just spring break and the other islands aren’t near as busy. We will see if they are correct. I head to Maui on Monday and come back Wednesday.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yes, our sales force has been saying the same thing. Our sales force on Maui thinks this will sustain even without changes to travel to Hawaii. The other islands feel it is just spring break and the other islands aren’t near as busy. We will see if they are correct. I head to Maui on Monday and come back Wednesday.
You’ll be fine as long as you’re not planning on eating. ;) It is impressively busy in Kaanapali. I cannot discern any difference from our last trip here two years ago. Add a few restaurant closures and reduced capacities and you have real challenges getting into popular spots.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You’ll be fine as long as you’re not planning on eating. ;) It is impressively busy in Kaanapali. I cannot discern any difference from our last trip here two years ago. Add a few restaurant closures and reduced capacities and you have real challenges getting into popular spots.

I’ll be in Kahului anyway and we’ll just do takeout at some local place there so it won’t bother me. But what you are saying sure supports what I am hearing from our sales force.

Like I have said before, over the last couple of weeks the only thing behind years past is the Asian market. That is still near zero travelers. Otherwise, we just have to wait and see if it a spring break blip. Either way it’s a good sign that the travelers will return when Hawaii eases its travel requirements.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I just tried to book a few reservations for first part of May. Mama's has nothing until early June, so they're 2+ months out, which is fine, there are so many other places. I even had a hard time booking Monkeypod HH at 4pm. It was just starting to get busy when we were there in December, but now I think more people are traveling, and sounds like it's really crowded now, back to pre-COVID times.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going in May and I made most of our reservations last week. I found that many popular locations (Duke's, Monkeypod, Kimo's) don't take Open Table reservations between 5:45 and 7:45. We like to eat on the later side so are fine with the later times. And the island has been open for all, but restaurants have been limited to 30% capacity, so that's another factor leading to crowding.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Our kids found a lot of places not even taking reservations as walkups during spring break. I didn't even know it was a problem because we went during happy hour. They were going a bit later than that. they tried several different restaurants and then ate Panda Express, the grankids' favorite. It was an eye-opening experience for the kids. They are not used to it. At home, it's easy to get into restaurants. I guess there are just more of them. I imagine The Gazebo is crazy right now. Slappy Cakes closed.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Our kids found a lot of places not even taking reservations as walkups during spring break. I didn't even know it was a problem because we went during happy hour. They were going a bit later than that. they tried several different restaurants and then ate Panda Express, the grankids' favorite. It was an eye-opening experience for the kids. They are not used to it. At home, it's easy to get into restaurants. I guess there are just more of them. I imagine The Gazebo is crazy right now. Slappy Cakes closed.
We got to Lahaina Grill about 15 min before they opened at 5:00pm and waited at the door. When they opened she said they had one table for two available as long as we were done by 6:30 because it was reserved at that time. Even their bar seats were booked. One other couple got there just after us but got turned away. So we were just lucky.

Dinner last night at the Plantation House. Only reservation available (10 days ahead) was 5:00. I made that reservation. We got there on time. All tables for two by the windows were in use and about half the tables overall were full when we arrived. By the time we left (6:00) every table was full.

Heck, there aren’t even any starting times for a single available all day today on the Plantation golf course. Fully booked.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We're going in May and I made most of our reservations last week. I found that many popular locations (Duke's, Monkeypod, Kimo's) don't take Open Table reservations between 5:45 and 7:45. We like to eat on the later side so are fine with the later times. And the island has been open for all, but restaurants have been limited to 30% capacity, so that's another factor leading to crowding.

Duke's must have just started that as I made a reservation last month for a date in September during that time frame.

But Kimo's definitely still has availability during those times during May/June/July. Perhaps they were fully booked for those times on the dates you tried.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Duke's must have just started that as I made a reservation last month for a date in September during that time frame.

But Kimo's definitely still has availability during those times during May/June/July. Perhaps they were fully booked for those times on the dates you tried.

Maybe so. This was about two weeks ago for May.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Dukes in Maui has reservations online for August through open table. I got a 7pm reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We are in Ka'anapali now. I have been able to make restaurant reservations, though OpenTable says little is available (they did book 2 for use, but now they are of no help.)