• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Car Rental

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
I see the situation doesn't seem to have improved too much. Still looking at prices starting around $1,800 to $2,000 for two weeks in June/July.

Looks like we'll be making use of those $4/day Maui Bus tickets again.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I see the situation doesn't seem to have improved too much. Still looking at prices starting around $1,800 to $2,000 for two weeks in June/July.

Looks like we'll be making use of those $4/day Maui Bus tickets again.

Ouch!

I’m in Maui now. Avis honored my corporate rate of $244 for 2 full weeks ($439 with taxes and fees).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Ouch!

I’m in Maui now. Avis honored my corporate rate of $244 for 2 full weeks ($439 with taxes and fees).

That's a great rate. Our two week rental with a corporate Avis rate was $661. That was for a midsize SUV. I thought that was a good rate.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Ouch!

That's a great rate. Our two week rental with a corporate Avis rate was $661. That was for a midsize SUV. I thought that was a good rate.

That's it. Rub it in for those of us that don't have access to corporate rates :giggle:

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA

That rate is for an intermediate car (think Corolla, which are actually pretty decent these days). I’m Presidents club level with Avis, so I got upgraded to a Nissan Rogue. Great for the back road back from Hana :).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That rate is for an intermediate car (think Corolla, which are actually pretty decent these days). I’m Presidents club level with Avis, so I got upgraded to a Nissan Rogue. Great for the back road back from Hana :).

I never think of a Corolla as an intermediate car, lol. As dh and I have gotten older we prefer the SUVs as they are higher up. That is what we both drive at home. Many times they are not much more than the smaller vehicles.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I never think of a Corolla as an intermediate car, lol. As dh and I have gotten older we prefer the SUVs as they are higher up. That is what we both drive at home. Many times they are not much more than the smaller vehicles.

I agree and especially for Hawaii. Beach parking is often not paved or in bad condition with big ruts that are filled with water. Having that extra height is great in those situations not to mention its easier getting in and out.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I agree and especially for Hawaii. Beach parking is often not paved or in bad condition with big ruts that are filled with water. Having that extra height is great in those situations not to mention its easier getting in and out.
So my Ford Mustang convertible that I have reserved for next month might not be a good choice? :cool:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
So my Ford Mustang convertible that I have reserved for next month might not be a good choice? :cool:
Depends on where you want to take it. And are you sure you're getting a Ford Mustang? Some friends of ours thought they were getting a Mustang when they agreed to an upgrade to a convertible and they ended up with a Pontiac Sunbird. It was the car de jour that year. We had a sedan. Pontiac no longer makes the Sunbird, it was retired in 1994. Good riddance.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

You'll be fine, just be careful in some parking lots.

I remember a few years ago, we were on Maui vacationing with friends. We only rented one car and we were upgraded to a Suburban. Excellent vehicle but after the first day, I dubbed it the Titanic. Very hard to park the huge vehicle in some of the parking lots in Maui. :D

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Depends on where you want to take it. And are you sure you're getting a Ford Mustang? Some friends of ours thought they were getting a Mustang when they agreed to an upgrade to a convertible and they ended up with a Pontiac Sunbird. It was the car de jour that year. We had a sedan. Pontiac no longer makes the Sunbird, it was retired in 1994. Good riddance.
RIP Pontiac.

No guarantees with rentals, of course, but as long as they don’t downgrade me to a compact convertible and I have the wind in my hair I’ll be a happy camper!

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA

Yeah, as Corolla is technically a compact, but the rental car companies have had this version of “shrinkflation” for as long as I’ve been renting. Subtract one size off any of their car size category labels.

Mcrobot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea, St. John
Costco Travel has decent rates. They are lower than my corporate rate :(

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
For when?

RCI has the best rates for Kauai. It was $2,200 for next month 5/22-6/9 on Costco. $864 for RCI.

It's a no-brainer for me to book RCI, even with the non-refundable, pay-in-advance rate. If our flight gets cancelled and is a day late, they still have to honor our car rental, or I will call Chase Sapphire Reserve and get a refund. Or I will have Rick call (it's his card and his name on the rental).

Mcrobot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea, St. John
I was looking in July. RCI seems like a nice rate

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Costco couldn't beat my corporate rate for Avis. However AutoSlash did find me a cheaper rate than my corporate rate, still with Avis. The thing is you can never say who has the best rates as they change all the time.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Circling back to this - yep we got a Ford Mustang - and it was red!

Best money I spent on the whole trip!

41DC4BA5-58DC-4BB9-B4CE-474496CA25DF.jpeg