• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Car Rental

shade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from Maui on Friday. Spent a couple of days with daughter and kids in Bay Area and drove back to Scottsdale yesterday. As we are returning to WKORV for Spring Break, I started looking for prices on a minivan. I usually try AutoSlash, but always looked at just about everywhere for a good deal. It was a bit scary as places wanted $2200 + for two weeks. I checked Costco Travel and $1167 for a Chrysler Pacifica through Enterprise popped up for the two weeks. I hardly believed it. Jumped on it and it was real. No cancellation fees, pay at pick-up and extra driver. I'm sure prices may return to some normality in a few months. However, I can live with the price I have now. Check it out.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are planning a trip back to Maui in March 2022. I have my car reservation already. I made it through Costco and it's with Enterprise. For a midsize SUV the price is $1047.53 for two weeks. I registered this with AutoSlash. For past rentals I have gotten numerous emails from AutoSlash with lower offers. So far this time, nothing. I'm hoping by next March the fleets will have increased and prices will drop.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
We were there in March and got a reasonable deal and will be back for the 4th of July week. Knowing of the issues we have been keeping an eye on availability through all rental channels since March and it has primarily been 'None'. Some seems to have suddenly become available in the past week but at $1200+ for a week we'll make do without.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I just booked May 2022 for 7 days pick-up at OGG. It’s $345 for the week and free cancellation, booked via Costco.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was appalled at booking a mid-size (cheapest) for two weeks in September for $1,200 through Costco. I check regularly and it's gone up to $2,200. I'd love to see it go down, but am not counting on it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I just booked May 2022 for 7 days pick-up at OGG. It’s $345 for the week and free cancellation, booked via Costco.
What type of vehicle? And which rental company?

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What type of vehicle? And which rental company?
I booked compact car with Enterprise. I always book the cheapest rental I can find.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I booked compact car with Enterprise. I always book the cheapest rental I can find.
When we were younger we'd usually rent the smallest and cheapest. Then we had kids and that didn't work anymore. Then we got old and prefer something larger and higher off the ground. Our vehicle of choice is a mid-size SUV.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we were younger we'd usually rent the smallest and cheapest. Then we had kids and that didn't work anymore. Then we got old and prefer something larger and higher off the ground. Our vehicle of choice is a mid-size SUV.
I just checked mid SUV is around $550 from Costco April and May, 2022. I have kids and Corolla can work fine for us. Agree Corolla might not work for everyone. My life style is to adopt whatever shade throwing at me and just work through it, so I'm happy with this $350 car rental. When car rental situation gets solved, we will get SUV or larger sedan as usual once the price back to reasonable level.

celica7101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV/N, Westin Nanea, Westin Flex
We got a rental minivan for $350 all-in for Presidents Day week 2022 in Maui, but we had reserved it this past February.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
I've found regular rates to be crazy in Hawaii, but corporate negotiated rates are still holding firm. If your company lets you use corporate booking tools and rates for personal travel, that may be the route to go to bring the cost of renting down.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We are using corporate booking rates and they are better than the consumer rates.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck booking through USAA. Found some 2-week rentals in October and December 2021 and February (2022) for $855 (Hertz). Their computer system has gone berserk, so a few weeks ago the price for all three nearly tripled to $2100+, but has since come back down. I'll have copies of my confirmations just in case...

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always book the cheapest car available at time of rental. Why? If they run out of the cheap cars they give you a bigger car at the cheap car price. More often than not they are out of the cheap cars when I rent so I get a better ride at a lower price.

Reactions: RnU

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I've found regular rates to be crazy in Hawaii, but corporate negotiated rates are still holding firm. If your company lets you use corporate booking tools and rates for personal travel, that may be the route to go to bring the cost of renting down.
My recent two-week booking in Orlando with my company code was about 60% off the retail rate. It also benefits your company as it gets their volume numbers up. Just make sure you use your own credit card!

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I always book the cheapest car available at time of rental. Why? If they run out of the cheap cars they give you a bigger car at the cheap car price. More often than not they are out of the cheap cars when I rent so I get a better ride at a lower price.

Yep, that's what I do too. And the harder they try to convince you to upgrade to a bigger car once you get to the counter, the greater the chance that they don't have a small car and are going to have to give you a free upgrade if you don't succumb to the pressure.

This past March in Maui, I'd reserved a compact car at $440 for 10 days (as it turned out, a great price.) I ended up getting a brand-new BMW SUV for that price.

Waterdog45

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV
Just returned from Maui on Friday. Spent a couple of days with daughter and kids in Bay Area and drove back to Scottsdale yesterday. As we are returning to WKORV for Spring Break, I started looking for prices on a minivan. I usually try AutoSlash, but always looked at just about everywhere for a good deal. It was a bit scary as places wanted $2200 + for two weeks. I checked Costco Travel and $1167 for a Chrysler Pacifica through Enterprise popped up for the two weeks. I hardly believed it. Jumped on it and it was real. No cancellation fees, pay at pick-up and extra driver. I'm sure prices may return to some normality in a few months. However, I can live with the price I have now. Check it out.
In Maui right now. We gave up on the rental and are using Lyft. It's been okay. Waiting for the Lyft car has been bit frustrating (about 10-15 mins avg wait time). So, instead of paying for rental we decided to book some tours and activities. We tried instacart but didn't work and they couldn't find any shoppers. We ended up walking over to Times and came back with groceries from Times on Lyft.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
In Maui right now. We gave up on the rental and are using Lyft. It's been okay. Waiting for the Lyft car has been bit frustrating (about 10-15 mins avg wait time). So, instead of paying for rental we decided to book some tours and activities. We tried instacart but didn't work and they couldn't find any shoppers. We ended up walking over to Times and came back with groceries from Times on Lyft.

Maybe throw in a big tip. $40-$50 tip will ensure grocery delivery in a timely manner.

Vagabonder

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Royal, P.Bonito, RCI
WKORV was supposed to give me a car for a week as part of my hard sell vacation package, late last year they changed the terms to a $185 credit. I got in early for Sept. 2021 and got a compact for $650 but didn't pre-pay, now I just hope they have a car for the Friday PM Alaska flight from LAX.

Vagabonder

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Royal, P.Bonito, RCI
Yep, that's what I do too. And the harder they try to convince you to upgrade to a bigger car once you get to the counter, the greater the chance that they don't have a small car and are going to have to give you a free upgrade if you don't succumb to the pressure.

This past March in Maui, I'd reserved a compact car at $440 for 10 days (as it turned out, a great price.) I ended up getting a brand-new BMW SUV for that price.
Unfortunately with the gas prices as they are the big ride can cost you anyway ( not to mention trying to park in Lahaina)

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Unfortunately with the gas prices as they are the big ride can cost you anyway ( not to mention trying to park in Lahaina)
I live in San Francisco. So by comparison, parking in Lahaina is child's play. ;)

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
And Gas prices in HI are lower?
Our gas prices in Hawaii are lower than the gas prices in California

Price at Kona Costco on 7/9 was $3.75/gallon
The gas station closest to our house (most expensive on the island) is $4.59/gallon

Last edited:

TSKing

Reaction score
Yes, we stayed a week in Waikoloa (Big Island) at end of May and I found a car for about $1000. But my partner got it with a corporate rate for about $300!! I would hope in the next year rental car companies will have strengthened their inventory and not gouge us on the prices!!

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we stayed a week in Waikoloa (Big Island) at end of May and I found a car for about $1000. But my partner got it with a corporate rate for about $300!! I would hope in the next year rental car companies will have strengthened their inventory and not gouge us on the prices!!

Hertz have been busily repricing corporate rate reservations. I booked through USAA for October (Maui), December and February (both Kauai). It was $885 or so for each booking. About a month ago I read on a FB group that somebody's reservation had tripled in price, so I went and looked at ours and the same thing had happened. Not quite triple, but $2100+. THEN I learned that Hertz doesn't guarantee the price unless they actually say so on the contract, which they don't do for corporate rates. They can raise the price at any time, without notice. Fortunately they decide that they would honor my rates, but I became one of "those" people and double booked Budget for roughly the same price, on a stranger's corporate rate - that makes me nervous, too.