• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

mattress without boxspring?

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
been waking in the mornings all aches and pains.. thinking it may be time for a new mattress..so my question is.. has anyone put a new mattress on an existing boxspring?
TIA

joycapecod

TUG Member
Reaction score
not buying a new box spring

Have never done this, but a friend in the "business" states that using and existing box spring with a new matteress may void your warranty.

I would cetrainly check to see if that is the case. I have used a mattress before for a replacement warranty before and was asked to see the bill of sales showing that I had purchased a foundation at the same time as the mattress.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Boxsprings

In Mexico, many (including resorts) do it all the time. Of course, their boxsprings are concrete. Are you suggesting that reusing concrete boxsprings invalidates their warranty?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Folks who like extra firm bedding place mattresses directly on solid or slotted wood frames.
Using an old frame could work out, but I suspect that if one part's worn out, so's the other.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a memory foam (Temper-Pedic knockoff) complete bed, and the 'box spring' is just a platform to make the bed the proper height. So whether or not you need a box spring would depend on the construction of the mattress.

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, we're still using the same box springs (king so there are two) we bought with the original set when we married in 1971. We've replaced the mattress, but the box springs are just fine in our opinions.

If the old box springs are a bit saggy, then use plywood as suggested. That'll make your set basically like a platform bed - mattress on a solid platform. If it's too hard, try a foam topper.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a memory foam (Temper-Pedic knockoff) complete bed, and the 'box spring' is just a platform to make the bed the proper height. So whether or not you need a box spring would depend on the construction of the mattress.

Jim

Hey, Jim,
How do you like it? I purchased a memory foam topper from Costco when I started having lower back pain. Just love it. Considering the bigger investment.

L

laurac260

I didn't know they even made box springs anymore. I haven't bought a mattress that needed one in over 10 years, and haven't even been offered one that required one. It was my understanding that the new (new as in the the past 10 years) mattresses had the springs/frame built in them. None of the beds in our house have box springs, and you can no longer flip the mattress because the bottom side is framed in wood with the springs inside. You just set the mattress on a platform.

Where have you found mattresses/box spring combos?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Putting the mattress on an old box spring DOES void the warranty. Mattress warranties are kind of a crock anyhow...but you don't want to be in the situation where you buy a pricey mattress, put it on your old box spring, and then the mattress fails.

Then the company will come out to inspect and they will immediately say that you have voided the warranty by using an old box spring.

Mattresses are expensive, and box springs are cheap. I would just get the new box spring.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they even made box springs anymore. I haven't bought a mattress that needed one in over 10 years, and haven't even been offered one that required one. It was my understanding that the new (new as in the the past 10 years) mattresses had the springs/frame built in them. None of the beds in our house have box springs, and you can no longer flip the mattress because the bottom side is framed in wood with the springs inside. You just set the mattress on a platform.

Where have you found mattresses/box spring combos?

Everywhere! Macy's, Sleepy's, Bloomingdale's...most places in our area show mattress and box spring sets together and sell them together. You can buy the mattress alone, if you have a platform bed, or you can buy the set. We just bought a set last year for our non-platform bed.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to sell mattresses. I am surprised that people have had trouble with the warranties because the couple of times that we had people report a failed mattress, they were given a whole new set if they had a problem. All three of the major manufacturers (Sealy, Simmons and Serta) are good about honoring their warranties, in my experience.

Ian and I have a tempurpedic. He had one when we got married. We have bought a king sized one since then.

I feel fine in the morning when I wake up ... and I am usually in the same position as I was when I fell asleep. (It sure makes making the bed up easier). I believe it is because the mattress keeps your circulation from getting cut off and keeps your muscles from getting sore.

I also felt fine in the morning when I woke up on the Stearns and Foster that I had before. I had won that set while selling mattresses. And my sister liked it so much that she wanted it when we replaced it.

When you are shopping, the sales person will encourage you to lay on the mattress. If you can tell you don't like the feel, go ahead and get up. Once you start getting close, lay on the mattress for 20 minutes. Bring your own pillow. Lay in the same position that you like to sleep with. If you have someone that you regularly sleep with, bring them, too.

I have an aversion to the mattresses with the "zones" that supposedly make them better for your back. When those mattresses are being moved, they have a whole lot more flex than regular mattresses.

elaine

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Don't buy tempupedic

Ive found it was good for 3-4 years, and then the foam softens. The company is cute- their warranty covers a depression, but not a softening. All you had to do was lightly touch the mattress with a pinky and you could hear a cellophane type crinkling noise it was so softened, but they would not do anything. And my hubbie and I are both thin; I can only imagine how it would have been if we were heavier.

I will say that I loved it while it lasted- and I bought the brand, direct from the company actually, so it was not a knock-off.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, Jim,
How do you like it? I purchased a memory foam topper from Costco when I started having lower back pain. Just love it. Considering the bigger investment.

We love it after over 5 years. I'll reply privately so's not to hijack the thread. J

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before, but it's an idea I'm completely sold on, so I think it's worth mentioning again.

If you're considering a foam type mattress, I highly recommend "building" one yourself. Advantages include:

1) Being able to pick materials (poly foam, memory foam, latex, etc).
2) Being able to pick individual layer and total thickness.
3) Being able to inexpensively swap mattress "components" until you find the perfect combination for you.
4) Being able to replace components as they wear out and/or one's body changes.
5) Nearly an order of magnitude cheaper than name brand equivalents.
6) Minor issue, but one can actually lift the 3"-4" layers by themselves. Moving a 10" thick foam mattress alone can be a pain.

I had no issues dropping $4K on a good mattress, if I knew it would remain comfortable for many years. But I just couldn't convince myself that laying down for a few minutes in a store was going to insure that.

Going the DIY route, I assembled a Tempur-Pedic equivalent king size mattress for less than $450. If anyone's interested, send me a pm.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep up the suggestions - I want to get my 96 year old mother a new set for Christmas. And, I am talking about going to the store and ordering - no special create your own for me - too technical. TIA Funtime

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funtime, we tried DW's 94 Y.O. dad on a Tempur Pedic. He didn't have the strength to turn over or swing his legs to get out of it because of sinking into the foam. A firm conventional mattress worked better.

Jim