• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massnutten MF increase

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the resort web site looking for other information while I found that the MF for 2009 Summit 2/4 bedroom unit jumped to $595/week. It is still reasonable for 4 bedroom. But that is a huge increase for one year. Does any one have more information?

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
WOW, I have not heard. Maybe it is time to sell one of my units.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huge Increase!

Annual Maintenance Fee 2009

$595.00

The Summit at Massanutten
Resort ID #3640

E-mail address:
smres@massresort.com

Maint. Fees: (540) 289-4911

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took another look and found Summit and Woodstone had the largest increase. Eagle Trace has a very reasonable increase from $415 to $432. I plan to write an email to see what they would say.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Just Got Home (Today) From Our "Instant Exchange" Massanutten Week.

Many of Massanutten's on-site resort activities require participation fees that are discounted or free for people with Activity Cards. After looking over the list of activities, we decided having Activity Cards would be a good idea, so we signed up for the timeshare sales pitch (which Massanutten tries to disguise as a Survey) so we could receive 2 Activity Cards as freebies. Activity cards otherwise are $99 apiece.

Bottom line of the sales pitch was a Woodstone EOY 2BR lock-off ("E" unit + adjoining "K" unit) for something in the neighborhood of $10,500 with annual fees of approximately $225. We said No Thanks.

The timeshare seller did mention that charging use fees to owners & renters & exchange guests for mini-golf, regular golf, skiing, going to the indoor water park, etc., helps keep owners' annual fees low. Otherwise, if those features & activities were free, their costs would have to be covered by the timeshare owners via higher annual fees. Makes sense to us. We still said No Thanks.

The timeshare seller also said the RCI 1-in-4 policy applies at Massanutten -- once we exchange in, we can't exchange in again till 4 years have passed. I should have asked whether that applies to Massanutten as a whole on the 1 hand, or whether on the other hand it just applies to the separate Massanutten timeshares individually. That is, does exchanging into Woodstone this year mean I'm also blocked from exchanging into The Summit, etc., until 4 years have gone by ?

We had a nice time for 7,500 points + exchange fee + miscellaneous on-site activity participation fees. Thanks to the 1-in-4 policy, next time we timeshare at Massanutten is apt to be via Last Call. So it goes.

We'll try to complete a Massnautten item for the TUG Resort Reviews section before long.

BTW -- back during my high school days in Fairfax County VA, we doofus kids mispronounced the name of the place, which back then was better known as a mountain locality near Harrisonburg VA than as a future timeshare & ski resort. We didn't know any better than to say it Massanoooten. Between Massanutten & Harrisonburg is Massanetta Springs, where some of the more musically inclined kids -- including the future Chief Of Staff -- participated in music camp.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score

The timeshare seller also said the RCI 1-in-4 policy applies at Massanutten -- once we exchange in, we can't exchange in again till 4 years have passed. I should have asked whether that applies to Massanutten as a whole on the 1 hand, or whether on the other hand it just applies to the separate Massanutten timeshares individually. That is, does exchanging into Woodstone this year mean I'm also blocked from exchanging into The Summit, etc., until 4 years have gone by ?

Hi Alan - each of the Massanutten resorts has a different resort #. The 1-in-4 applies to each individual number. At one time last calls weren't included in the 1-in-4 rules. Not sure if this is still the case.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the report. I guess the sales person did not mention the 30% fee increase. I wonder if owners would get any more activities for free after the increase. Just wishful thinking.

Jane

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just figured it out, 30% increase, man! However, this resort did have rather low maintenance fees to begin with. $595 for a lock off that gives you 2 weeks is still less than $300 per week for a weeks vacation. I wonder how they are going to notify us, and if they have a good explaination for the huge jump.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Less than $600 MF for 4BR L/O unit is not bad, but 30% increase in a year is huge! Why there's no MF increase cap like Worldmark? I think there will be many Summit or Woodstone resales at market soon.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
I emailed the resort today asking for an explanation.

It is not cross the board increase for all Massanutten resorts. The increases at the Eagle Trace and the new Woodstone are very reasonable. I wonder why Summit and Woodstone. The Woodstone units are so new, they should not need anything major yet.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners, keep us posted on this.

madex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could it be that the new police station in Massanutten cost is being passed to us through our MF?

Disappointing! We loved our unit, all was new and freshly painted, but 30% increase? ....we are new owners, through resale. how much MF going to be for the Woodstone?

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could it be that the new police station in Massanutten cost is being passed to us through our MF?

Disappointing! We loved our unit, all was new and freshly painted, but 30% increase? ....we are new owners, through resale. how much MF going to be for the Woodstone?

Woodstone 4 bedrooms are exactly the same as the Summit, $595 for 2009.

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what's listed as 2009 MF for each resort:

Eagle Trace: $432
Eagle Trace at Killy Court: $432
Shenandoah Villas AB: $595
Shenandoah Villas U or D: $432
Shenandoah Villas Townhouse: $595
Shenandoah Villas at Killy Court: $432
Summit U, L, or UL: $595
Woodstone Meadows FP: $595
Woodstone Meadows YN: $565
Woodstone Casa de Campo KE: $475

Mountainside Villas is probably next. There was a note in the last owner's newsletter from Mountainside that they're considering raising the MF, so it's just a waiting game to see how much the fees will be for 2009.

aka95

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Renovations for this price?

We have been owners at the Summit since 1997. Some of the older Summit units were showing their age and I believe received new furniture in the living room. With that large an increase, what other planned renovations are in store for an assessment jump that large? All of the Summit units other than Hillside and Sunrise have only two TV's in the unit. Does anyone know of plans to add a tv in the second bedroom that many owners have been requesting for years? I wonder are they going to add flat screen TV's that many gold crown units have now. Or free wireless internet? The $55 a week they charge now is too excessive, especially when most places offer it for free. If they are going to remain at gold crown status they are going to have to step up their game to keep up with the big boys.

:cheer: :hi:

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
I figured it is about $7000 per unit per year increase. That should be enough to buy the TVs and replace some furniture. I hope at least part of this increase is one time only for them to comply with the GC status.

What about Woodstone? Aren't those unit relatively new? Are these two actually managed as one? It seems like the MF is always the same.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were at the Summit this past summer. The unit had 3 flat screen TV's, and new furniture. Could definately have used a new BBQ grill.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called the admin number in Marty's response. I was told the increase is mostly due to refurbish of the unit, including replacement of furniture and TVs. I asked if this is one time increase. I think he understood me wrong. He said that we should not have such a big increase again next year. :eek: But he did not know. The board of directors decide the MF. I can't wait to see the official communication.

aka95

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ann-Marie,

What area of the Summit did you stay in? Did you stay in Hillside or Sunrise or the units on Litten Lane? Just curious to know which units have the 3 flat screens and new furniture.

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brand New Owner -- Do we have any power?

As brand new Summit owners, we are curious about the HOA or Board of Directors or whatever they call it.

How much input do owners have? How is the board elected? :shrug:

My only experience is with very small, owner run resorts, and I just don't get how there can be such a humongous increase without owner input. Or do they still own so many units that they control the board.

The low MF was a big factor in our decision to buy.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been an owner for 10 + years. I have never been asked to vote for a BOD's.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Massanutten Resort Review.

I just now sent in a review of our recent Woodstone At Massanutten Instant Exchange week for the TUG Resort Reviews section.

We were in unit 318-K of the Casa de Campo section -- had a nice time.

( If you own 318-K, thanks for depositing. )

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I own 2 Summit weeks I am not particularly happy about this :)

But it still seems to be lower MF than many places are charging and within driving distance - so it still is my favorite.

SBK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally read the Timeshare Instrument!!!

Buying resale -- great for price! :cheer:

Buying resale -- bad for not being able to see the ruling documents before you commit. :bawl:

The packet that we got includes the original Timeshare Instrument, dated 15 September 1994, and a Fourth Supplement to the Timeshare Instrument, dated 15 May 2002.

If anyone has supplements 1, 2 and 3 and/or knows if there are any supplements after 4, could you please let us know? They might negate the the information I am putting in below.

(According to the initial Instrument, Great Eastern controls the BOD through 2050.)

Here is what I found in the original instrument:

Section 1. DEFINITIONS

Para 1.12 "CPI Increase"refers to the annual amount (rounded up to the next $5.00) by which the Maintenance Fee may be increased by Developer. Increases in Assessments may also be restricted to such CPI increase, if negotiated from time to time between SMOA and Managing Agent, as enabled in Section 10.3. The amount of the increase is determined by multiplying the Fee or Assessment then in effect by a fraction the numerator being the Consumer Price Index, All Urban Consumers, (1967=100), as established by the U. S. Department of Labor (Index) for the December before the Effective Date, and the denominator being the Index for the December immediately before such December. The Effective Date shall be the date that such Maintenance Fee or Assessment is payable. (sic -- there should be a comma after fraction for clarity, but there isn't.)

then --

Section 12 -- Payments by Owners

para 12.2 -- Maintenance Fee

Blah Blah about being required to pay the fee.

The Maintenance Fee is hereby established to $350.00 Developer may increase the Maintenance Fee only in accordance with the CPI Increase.

Blah Blah about how you can't reserve a week if you haven't paid.

So here are my issues:

1) Are there any supplements out there that I don't have that change their right to increase the MF on a different basis?

2) If there are not, I do not believe that this is a legitimate increase all at once from the $460.00. It does not say that they can add up the CPI from years that they did not make an increase and do it cumulatively.

Does anyone else think that we may have a case to fight the increase? I'd love to hear from lawyers.

Last edited: