• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massive cargo ship turns sideways, blocks Egypt's Suez Canal

shorep

Reaction score

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The humongous ship in the Suez Canal is now a meme - our 17 favourites.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
[Deleted: religious content isn't permitted on TUG.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Brett

Reaction score
42 Jokes And Memes About The Ship That Got Stuck in The Suez Canal.

Richard

I like the Austin Powers one

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...n/news-story/0521a3ad29018d0b01f17f9b00857a87

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
What a freaking mess..

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Attempt to refloat megaship blocking Egypt's Suez Canal fails.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suez Canal ship may be freed by Saturday.

Richard

shorep

Reaction score
Professionally, I occasionally get a bit involved with failure analysis, particularly as regards accidental chemical release scenarios.

For me, the frequent absence of failure modes and effects analysis on critical operations is fascinating. It seems evident that the operators of the canal never did a comprehensive analysis of what scenarios might exist that would prevent ships from moving through the canal. Because if they did, the possibility of a ship turning sideways would have popped out as a hazard requiring attention.

Or, perhaps they did the analysis, but management ignored the finding. That happens often. (In the chemical release scenarios I deal with, failure of management to respond responsibly to a finding can be criminal, so most operations pay some attention to the findings. Having a the same issue show up in consecutive audits is a very serious finding.)
Failure of management is a common trend in business, this ship is a prime example,'blown off course by a sandstorm',so why not all the other ships in the canal that day in the storm, went off course due to another storm, the management brainstorm on the bridge more likely!!!!!I took this ship from China,I took her across the Indian ocean,I took her into the gulf, and I took her into the Suez canal, where WE jammed her into the canal.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, after this mishap the Suze Canal will places limits and sizes of containers ships to avoid this from happening again.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New attempts planned to free huge vessel stuck in Suez Canal.

Richard

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maybe, after this mishap the Suze Canal will places limits and sizes of containers ships to avoid this from happening again.
Actually, there are limits on length. This ship was just under the limit; likely it was designed to be as big as possible while still being able to transit the Suez.

Getting back to my comment up-thread about risk analysis, it would appear that underlying analysis for that decision was inadequate.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Failure of management is a common trend in business, this ship is a prime example,'blown off course by a sandstorm',so why not all the other ships in the canal that day in the storm, went off course due to another storm, the management brainstorm on the bridge more likely!!!!!I took this ship from China,I took her across the Indian ocean,I took her into the gulf, and I took her into the Suez canal, where WE jammed her into the canal.

My understanding is that specialized harbor pilots take charge and navigate the ships through the canal.

Whether there was incompetent crew remains is unknown but will be evaluated in the post-mortem.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that specialized harbor pilots take charge and navigate the ships through the canal.

Whether there was incompetent crew remains is unknown but will be evaluated in the post-mortem.

The specialized pilots are widely regarded as being a huge problem in Suez. As with much of Egyptian officialdom, their big priority is extracting as much cash from their position as possible, and not so much on being professional navigators.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is hope that with the arrival of two of the most powerful tugs, the continued dredging of sand from around the stuck vessel, and an expected +50cm (20") tide tonight, they will be able to float it off and avoid offloading hundreds of containers. This is CRITICAL! Europe is running out of toilet paper!

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Will the Ever Given container company incur a heavy fine by the he Egyptian government; for the loss of container shipping revenue ?

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2 tugboats speed to Egypt's Suez Canal as shippers avoid it.

Richard

shorep

Reaction score
The specialized pilots are widely regarded as being a huge problem in Suez. As with much of Egyptian officialdom, their big priority is extracting as much cash from their position as possible, and not so much on being professional navigators.
This might well be considered to be a worldwide problem, amusing clip on Discovery channel, cruise ship captain concerned about the age of the vietnamese pilot, taking his ship up the mecong.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Before the Ever Given: A look at the crises that closed Suez.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tugs, dredgers still struggle to free ship blocking Suez Canal.

Richard

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Some of those containers contain LIVE animals. Livestock is being shipped and they are trapped.