• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten TIMESHARE SCAM SCAM SCAM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
I am writing this in regard to my timeshare with Massanutten! Stay far far away from this group as they are indeed a timeshare scam and want nothing more than to take your money! It is impossible to book a reservation and upon sending multiple letters to try to come to some type of amicable resolution, Michael Owens, the "Hospitality Director" ignores all requests and sends you to collections or worse, submits a warrant in debt and brings you to court, even if you've told them you can't afford it!! This company does not care about anything other than money and could care less about their "owners"! If you ever go to a Massanutten timeshare presentation, say NO a thousand times!!!! They are also under the management of Great Eastern Resort Management which is who Michael Owens is associated with! Timeshare is a waste of money and I'm not sure how it is still legal as it is not real property!!!!!! Trust me when I say, Massanutten is the worst of the worst and I have made this thread so everyone who has had Massanutten can share their awful experiences, that way, everyone knows how horrible this company is so that everyone stays far, far away!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I own half a dozen weeks at Massanutten. Most are fixed but I do have two 1-52 float weeks. They are not impossible to book. You do have to pre-pay the MF's and you do have to be up to date with payments if you have a loan. You can reserve your week up to two years in advance. There are some super high demand weeks that you have to reserve 18-24 months in advance if you want them. Most summer weeks need to be reserved 10-12 months in advance although 4th of July may go earlier some years. If you wait until August of the use year there may not be any available weeks to reserve because there were unreserved weeks early in the year.

In term of being sent to collections or worse when you don't pay and tell them you can't afford it, that's what happens when you sign a contract to buy something and take out a loan. Unfortunately telling them you can't afford it, after signing and passing the rescission period doesn't erase the debt. This certainly is not unique with Massanutten.

This isn't specifically to you it is to everyone:
Rather than say if you go to a Massanutten timeshare presentation, make sure you say no a thousand times, just say, do not attend a Massanutten or any timeshare presentation if you can't say no under intense pressure. Do not buy a timeshare from the developer if you cannot afford it or understand how they work. In general never finance a timeshare purchase, it's a luxury purchase and if you don't have the discretionary funds available you probably shouldn't be buying. Read the contract if you do buy and if you have any doubts or questions, rescind during the legally mandated period that you can do so. If you are still interested in a timeshare look into buying resale and saving thousands if not ten's of thousands of dollars.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own half a dozen weeks at Massanutten. Most are fixed but I do have two 1-52 float weeks. They are not impossible to book. You do have to pre-pay the MF's and you do have to be up to date with payments if you have a loan. You can reserve your week up to two years in advance. There are some super high demand weeks that you have to reserve 18-24 months in advance if you want them. Most summer weeks need to be reserved 10-12 months in advance although 4th of July may go earlier some years. If you wait until August of the use year there may not be any available weeks to reserve because there were unreserved weeks early in the year.

In term of being sent to collections or worse when you don't pay and tell them you can't afford it, that's what happens when you sign a contract to buy something and take out a loan. Unfortunately telling them you can't afford it, after signing and passing the rescission period doesn't erase the debt. This certainly is not unique with Massanutten.

This isn't specifically to you it is to everyone:
Rather than say if you go to a Massanutten timeshare presentation, make sure you say no a thousand times, just say, do not attend a Massanutten or any timeshare presentation if you can't say no under intense pressure. Do not buy a timeshare from the developer if you cannot afford it or understand how they work. In general never finance a timeshare purchase, it's a luxury purchase and if you don't have the discretionary funds available you probably shouldn't be buying. Read the contract if you do buy and if you have any doubts or questions, rescind during the legally mandated period that you can do so. If you are still interested in a timeshare look into buying resale and saving thousands if not ten's of thousands of dollars.

Great response!! Have you thought about being a Moderator?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Pretty lame post.

I’ve stayed there several times and it’s a beautiful place.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty lame post.

Agreed. I'm afraid that if I responded to the OP I probably wouldn't have been as diplomatic as Tracy.

Buyer's remorse is a tough pill to swallow.

The OP is stuck at this juncture and might as well learn to use what was purchased. Massanutten is a wonderful resort in a wonderful area. Too bad the OP didn't look for TUG prior to the rescind period. But that's history.

This will probably be a drive-by, one-time stop. Too bad if that's the case. The money's gone. Best thing to do now is hang around TUG and learn how to use the ownership to derive the benefits. The OP probably has no more knowledge about timeshare ownership today than they did when they signed on the dotted line. Knowledge is power. :)

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Pretty lame post.

Good to hear. We're going this summer...CAN'T WAIT!

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Since the original post was from a guest with only this one post, I would take it with a grain of salt and tell the OP they should have looked before leaping. Always amazes me why people post all their complaints on the internet! Must be that if you read it on the internet it must be true philosophy.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I am writing this in regard to my timeshare with Massanutten! Stay far far away from this group as they are indeed a timeshare scam and want nothing more than to take your money! It is impossible to book a reservation and upon sending multiple letters to try to come to some type of amicable resolution, Michael Owens, the "Hospitality Director" ignores all requests and sends you to collections or worse, submits a warrant in debt and brings you to court, even if you've told them you can't afford it!! This company does not care about anything other than money and could care less about their "owners"! If you ever go to a Massanutten timeshare presentation, say NO a thousand times!!!! They are also under the management of Great Eastern Resort Management which is who Michael Owens is associated with! Timeshare is a waste of money and I'm not sure how it is still legal as it is not real property!!!!!! Trust me when I say, Massanutten is the worst of the worst and I have made this thread so everyone who has had Massanutten can share their awful experiences, that way, everyone knows how horrible this company is so that everyone stays far, far away!

This is so wrong in so many ways I don't know where to start.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Massanutten is my favorite resort. We do not own but go about 1 time a year. If I could use a big unit (kids are too far away) I would buy in a heartbeat. I can empathize with the OP but disagree, especially the scam part. The OP was talked into something that he couldn't afford and did not understand. If he had stayed around he may have learned something. Life lessons are sometimes hard, but without a little introspection they can be repeated.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Massanutten is my favorite resort. We do not own but go about 1 time a year. If I could use a big unit (kids are too far away) I would buy in a heartbeat. I can empathize with the OP but disagree, especially the scam part. The OP was talked into something that he couldn't afford and did not understand. If he had stayed around he may have learned something. Life lessons are sometimes hard, but without a little introspection they can be repeated.

Agree 100%. It is intellectually dishonest to make a bad decision and then claim victim status.

We stayed at Massanutten several times when our son was at James Madison U. Always enjoyed it.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Agree 100%. It is intellectually dishonest to make a bad decision and then claim victim status ....

What you describe here has become the de facto way of life in this country.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
There is no doubt the OP is convinced this is all a scam and that many would be posting to acknowledge their bad experiences and of course that hasn’t happened yet. I’ve never visited this resort but based on what many have posted I will have to put it on a bucket list.

It would be good to know more about the OP’s situation. How long have they owned? Something changed in their life to make it now unaffordable? Are they trying to book a July week on June 1st? Did they finance the acquisition or is it just maintenance fees they can’t afford? It does appear based on the one post that they just don’t understand how timesharing works.

As upset as the OP is with this particular resort I could only imagine what the post would have been like if it was a Westgate presentation that they had attended instead.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It would be good to know more about the OP’s situation. How long have they owned? Something changed in their life to make it now unaffordable? Are they trying to book a July week on June 1st? Did they finance the acquisition or is it just maintenance fees they can’t afford? It does appear based on the one post that they just don’t understand how timesharing works.

This was OP's first post on TUG. Something tells me it might be his last, at least on this thread. I can't see him trying to defend his rant.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
Wow. All of you are complete idiots especially due to the fact that this is not real property and is worthless! How can you defend a company that utilizes high pressure sales tactics and LIES to consumers to get them to sign a contract and tells them they actually own real property which is false! If it were such a good deal and NOT a scam, then why make it a legally binding contract? Why not sell it as it is..... an overpriced vacation membership worth nothing. I've stayed at better resorts for less than the price of owning a timeshare! WAKE UP! You're all brainwashed by the resort!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
There is no doubt the OP is convinced this is all a scam and that many would be posting to acknowledge their bad experiences and of course that hasn’t happened yet. I’ve never visited this resort but based on what many have posted I will have to put it on a bucket list.

As upset as the OP is with this particular resort I could only imagine what the post would have been like if it was a Westgate presentation that they had attended instead.

First off, this timeshare was misrepresented to me and the salesmen utilized high pressure sales tactics to tie me into a contract. He told me a bunch of lies and empty promises that I believed (I didn't know they're allowed to say whatever they want to get the deal) but I continued to pay because I'm a man of my word. However, this past year, my wife was diagnosed with brain cancer and she can no longer travel, nor can we afford to pay for something that we can't use on top of her medical bills which are our main priority. As it progress, it gets worse and worse and I had to quit my job so that I could stay home to take care of her. I've reached out plenty of times to Massanutten and they could care less. At the end of the day, I have paid them more than enough money for something that is valued by the IRS at $0. It costs them nothing to let me out and quite frankly, my wife's health goes above paying for a misrepresented timeshare contract. To those of you defending timeshare, I hope one day you wake up and realize you purchased air. I can stay at the same resorts that you stay at, for HALF the price of a timeshare. There is no benefit of owning a timeshare except profit for the resort. Everyone reading this interested in buying a Massanutten timeshare, do yourself a favor and just book a regular stay. You'll be happy in the long run that you did. Timeshares will ruin your life! Stay away!!!!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
What you describe here has become the de facto way of life in this country.
Yup. And it's very American to blame the victim and not hold the resort accountable for their lies and deceit! Good going America!!!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
If you do not own, then this has nothing to do with you! Did I say the resort was not nice? They are nice but owning a timeshare is not something I would recommend to anyone! It has caused us headaches and I've lost a lot of money because of it!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
First off, this timeshare was misrepresented to me and the salesmen utilized high pressure sales tactics to tie me into a contract. He told me a bunch of lies and empty promises that I believed (I didn't know they're allowed to say whatever they want to get the deal) but I continued to pay because I'm a man of my word. However, this past year, my wife was diagnosed with brain cancer and she can no longer travel, nor can we afford to pay for something that we can't use on top of her medical bills which are our main priority. As it progress, it gets worse and worse and I had to quit my job so that I could stay home to take care of her. I've reached out plenty of times to Massanutten and they could care less. At the end of the day, I have paid them more than enough money for something that is valued by the IRS at $0. It costs them nothing to let me out and quite frankly, my wife's health goes above paying for a misrepresented timeshare contract. To those of you defending timeshare, I hope one day you wake up and realize you purchased air. I can stay at the same resorts that you stay at, for HALF the price of a timeshare. There is no benefit of owning a timeshare except profit for the resort. Everyone reading this interested in buying a Massanutten timeshare, do yourself a favor and just book a regular stay. You'll be happy in the long run that you did. Timeshares will ruin your life! Stay away!!!!
If it weren't for your bombastic style of responding to others you likely would have received a lot of people generally agreeing with you that buying a timeshare from a developer is rarely a sound plan. However, it seems you are unwilling to listen to anyone else as you are so wound up in your victimhood. I am very sorry about your wife and financial issues. No bank will just let you stop paying for your car and home loans as a result. The timeshare contract and fees are no different.

I am not sure what you are looking to accomplish here. There are thousands of posts about sleazy timeshare sales tactics on this board, and no one is defending these. At the same time, many people have been satisfied with this resort and feel ownership is worthwhile.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I think we all can see when/why the rant started. But then we are just happy idiots!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think on this site we have learned to separate the sales and the timeshare ownership along with timeshare stay.
I have no problem being an owner at Massanutten. It is the sales presentation and the sales contract you signed after being manipulated and lied to that you object to. The problems that you have with Massanutten sales are by no way unique to Massanutten almost all timeshares are sold this way. For the most part they sell for less than 1% of what the developer charges. Gifts, free stays and high pressure sales are the only way most developers and their sales crew can sell timeshares.

TUG is all about buying resale and only buying (either resale or in some cases retail) after doing some extensive researching and making sure you understand what you are buying and signing up for.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten
If it weren't for your bombastic style of responding to others you likely would have received a lot of people generally agreeing with you that buying a timeshare from a developer is rarely a sound plan. However, it seems you are unwilling to listen to anyone else as you are so wound up in your victimhood. I am very sorry about your wife and financial issues. No bank will just let you stop paying for your car and home loans as a result. The timeshare contract and fees are no different.

I am not sure what you are looking to accomplish here. There are thousands of posts about sleazy timeshare sales tactics on this board, and no one is defending these. At the same time, many people have been satisfied with this resort and feel ownership is worthwhile.

THE BANK HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT AS THE MORTGAGE IS PAID OFF. And to answer your question, I made this post so anyone googling Massnutten during a presentation, will see this and NOT purchase from them!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
If you do not own, then this has nothing to do with you! Did I say the resort was not nice? They are nice but owning a timeshare is not something I would recommend to anyone! It has caused us headaches and I've lost a lot of money because of it!

So what are you hoping to accomplish here?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
.......... will see this and NOT purchase from them![/QUOTE said:
This has been mentioned quite frankly before and we call it "resale"! Same for all timeshare companies/resorts!