• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten Resort at one week before Easter during COVID-19

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
Hey all,
We're from Baltimore, Maryland. Our family was sent home to telework and the aged parents wouldn't stop going out to visit folks. So two weeks ago I said to my husband, "let's see if we can get a Massanutten timeshare and we'll just lock ourselves up there where there is no temptation for visitation."
We came down roughly 2 weeks ago. They have closed all pools, all events. The gym is sort of open, but I'm not going in --you make a reservation at Woodstone and the staff wipes the equipment down. At Regal Vistas the door is open but it's deserted. (Just no.) We spend our days teleworking on wifi cellphone connections, and evenings taking walks and having dinner with the family.

When we first got here, it was hard to contain them still. The restaurants were still allowing 10 people in the building, so Mom & Dad wanted to go to our favorite Mexican restaurant. There were trips to Costco and grocery stores and Dairy Queen's drive in. That's calmed way down now as they've realized that this isn't a joke.

There is almost no one here. Of the 2000 units of Massanutten, only 40 are occupied this week. We're in a 4-br Regal Vistas unit, and frankly I'm concerned about keeping the parents safe if we go home. RCI has increased the point value for the 2br Regal Vistas next week from 4 pts to 10 pts. (weeks). I have no idea who would travel now. The trip down with the stops for gas, food, restrooms would be anxiety-provoking now. All of us are keeping distant from others. The restaurants are open inside Massanutten, but there are no customers and I think they may shut down. We're holdouts with the rest of this row of units --I think Regal Vistas may have almost all 40 reservations because there is no one on the mountain. It's kind of eerie. It's not the time to be reading Stephen King's _The Stand_. We're here for one more week.

When we arrived at the unit originally, we left mom & dad in the car and the girls and my husband and I went into the unit and wiped everything down with lysol wipes (the staff is wiping surfaces and remotes, but we found their cleaning to be haphazard). Once we got one of the units done, we put the luggage in, ran the dishwasher with every dish in the unit (took three loads), and Mom & Dad came in and started setting up everything. The rest of us tackled the second connected unit. Once that was done, we transferred luggage over and had a beer.

If you are thinking about vacationing here, you may want to rethink that. It's not that it's a bad place to be stuck. It's that the point where you could travel safely may be past. I am terrified of the trip home. And I am refusing to let the family watch the non-stop virus news. We're playing games, doing needlework, talking, teleworking, cooking, taking walks.

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
By haphazard cleaning, one of the things that I forgot to wipe down was the *inside* of the oven. My husband cooks when's he's trying to unwind, so that first night he was making meatballs and prepped them to bake in the oven. He turned the oven on, and a few minutes later, thick smoke started pouring out of it when he opened the door. There was a rag left in the oven, and oven cleaner sprayed on the door of the oven. The rag was on fire and we pulled it out with some long utensils and threw it on the brick walk outside to stomp on. The second bathroom of this same unit had a cleaning rag left on the toilet tissue holder. We joked that they must be out of toilet paper and that they were kindly offering us a solution.

Usually, these units are very clean. This was an anomaly. One of the supervisors came down and took photos and cleaned the oven. I told her that I had cleaned the bathroom. It still smells a bit lysol-bleachy in here, but very faint now.

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
Oh, and they've waived that hideous "resort fee" that we used to just call my Gold Card. It's $4.25/per bedroom for owners and $6.50/per bedroom for RCI exchanges. The tours are still running despite no people to tour. We actually took one, purchased, read the contract, rescinded, and told them that the new resort fee after 20 years for no service upgrades is the reason for the rescind. They threatened us with no possible future tours.

Just cry me a river. :) My Dearly Beloved got it on his cell phone from the sales agent's text, and we're going to USE that puppy the next time the concierge desk tries to get us to tour.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, and they've waived that hideous "resort fee" that we used to just call my Gold Card. It's $4.25/per bedroom for owners and $6.50/per bedroom for RCI exchanges.

Glad to see that they`ve waived the Massanutten resort fee
Enjoy your time with your family. Thanks for the update..

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
We had a grocery run today. Costco did have toilet paper for the first time in a week. Call your local one to see if it's in stock. Walmart did have 70% rubbing alcohol and I rejoiced at finally getting a bottle. I have an injectable migraine pain medication (Imitrex) and I've been using very dilute bleach solution to disinfect before injection because there's no alcohol to be found.

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
So, the State Police showed up at Massanutten to discuss the fact that sales were still ongoing despite the shutdown of all non-essential businesses. Massanutten was having people meet with the sales people in individual condos, feeding packaged snacks and bottled drinks, and cleaning the condos between sales meetings with a potential buyer. Until the governor signed the Stay at Home order on (Mar 30, I think), this was ok. Then it wasn't ok after that. Massanutten made the local news with the police showing up at the sales center.

The next day, RCI cancelled all vacations in its system for Massanutten until May 1. If you had a reservation already, Massanutten tried to contact you and turn you back. But they were still letting people check in on April 4 if you were an owner with your regular week or if you had a prior RCI reservation. There were very few people on Massanutten at all, and I don't see how they could continue services like housekeeping.

TimeshareTraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen ShoreCrest,
Massanutten Summit,
Eagle Point,
Our family headed back to Maryland on April 4, after a grocery run on April 3. Mom & Dad promised to stay indoors for the next 14 days, and we plan to also. The trip home had one bathroom stop at a rest area where we took lysol wipes in with us to wipe doors down. Rest areas have removed the hand sanitizer because people were breaking open the dispensers to steal it. The restrooms looked like people were attempting to steal the toilet paper by unwinding it or they were using it to pad the seats or something, and they have employees walking in and around when people are in there (likely to discourage the theft of toilet paper).

We'll be tired of certain meals by the end of two weeks, but we won't starve. I'm so GLAD to be home and glad that Mom & Dad stopped arguing with us about letting us do grocery runs for them and cancelling certain doctor's appts.

Patty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Virginia is shut down for travel until June 10.. I am amazed you were able to get into Massanutten. We canceled out week there because the Tennessee resort was closed for the following week. We have had to cancel three May cruises and three resort weeks. We are not used to being home this much. Everyone stay safe.