• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten questions

Catclaws

Reaction score
Bought the following timeshare in Massanutten. Obviously already realized we got fleeced $5000 buying it from the developer, when people eare giving them away free, but aside from that, is it worth keeping if we actually plan to use it?

Biennial
Floating week 42
2 Bed, 2 Bath, Woodstone
Jacuzzi room
Partial kitchen
Fireplace balcony WiFi yadda yadda
Bonus week
Maintenance fees $227
Gold cards

We do enjoy the resort, and can make it there on a single tank of gas, making travel easy to use the timeshare. And we do take a lot of vacation time.

We were told we can trade it with RCI for a flat fee of $239 a week to receive similar 2 bedroom accomodations.

We also think that the 50 percent off cruises and last call deals are something we would take advantage of.

We don't mind traveling in off season or booking up to a year in advance.

Mostly I'm afraid of rising maintenance fees as the resort is expanding. 227 is low but 20 years from now are we going to be paying 1000 or more? Is there any kind of percent cap or anything that can keep them from just drawing you in with a reasonable MF and then tripping it next year?

Are there any other hidden fees to be aware of? Either when at Massanutten or when trading the week in RCI?

I see a lot of people here talk about points but nothing like that was mentioned in the presentation. They made it sound like we just pay $239 and can go to any RCI resort. (As long as it's available of course)

Any other things you can advise me of?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At $227 you either own a triennial 2 BR unit lockoff or and every other year dedicated 2 BR. That means you pay the fee every year but you only get a unit every 3 years or every 2 years.

They make you think that about trading power (that you can exchange into anything available) but that isn't the way it works.
There is no 50% of cruises. RCI cruise prices are similar to any other cruise outlet. Sometimes it might be a little lower, sometimes it may be higher than you can find else where.

If it isn't too late to rescind you should. If it is you have a lot to learn over the next year or two if you want to try to get the best possible use of your purchase.

Catclaws

Reaction score
Our contract says Biennial odd which would mean every odd year. They did tell us that since it's late in the year already our first deeded week is in 2021. But they told us we can use our bonus weeks this year and in 2020 and then starting the following year we will have two weeks, one deeded and one bonus.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Bonus weeks are through RCI and you can only book 45 days in advance and the trading power is fairly low. If you are ok travelling off season it may work for you. Massanutten also has trade boosts. You may be too late to take advantage of it this year, you will have MF due January 2020 and if you pay your 2021 MF in May or June you can get an other deposit (part of their trading boost program) that may be better than what you actually get for your unit.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Bought the following timeshare in Massanutten. Obviously already realized we got fleeced $5000 buying it from the developer, when people eare giving them away free, but aside from that, is it worth keeping if we actually plan to use it?

Biennial
Floating week 42
2 Bed, 2 Bath, Woodstone
Jacuzzi room
Partial kitchen
Fireplace balcony WiFi yadda yadda
Bonus week
Maintenance fees $227
Gold cards

We do enjoy the resort, and can make it there on a single tank of gas, making travel easy to use the timeshare. And we do take a lot of vacation time.

We were told we can trade it with RCI for a flat fee of $239 a week to receive similar 2 bedroom accomodations.

We also think that the 50 percent off cruises and last call deals are something we would take advantage of.

We don't mind traveling in off season or booking up to a year in advance.

Mostly I'm afraid of rising maintenance fees as the resort is expanding. 227 is low but 20 years from now are we going to be paying 1000 or more? Is there any kind of percent cap or anything that can keep them from just drawing you in with a reasonable MF and then tripping it next year?

Are there any other hidden fees to be aware of? Either when at Massanutten or when trading the week in RCI?

I see a lot of people here talk about points but nothing like that was mentioned in the presentation. They made it sound like we just pay $239 and can go to any RCI resort. (As long as it's available of course)

Any other things you can advise me of?

Rescind. You can get that same Ts for $1

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will assume you cannot rescind. If you can it is a no brainer. Week 42 is not a prime week but would be a great time to be there. A beautiful fall week. As to whether you should keep it is an individual decision. If you can reconcile the fact that the 5 grand is gone your ongoing ownership can have value. You could rent that week from rci for about the same amount or less. However if it is your only timeshare then it is your ticket to those cheap rentals as you have said you can travel off season. I would be happy having a nice fall week to explore the mountains. In fact I own a VT week 40 that we will enjoy for the 16th yr in a row this year. We love it.

Others have given some advantages to owning and you can balance the plus's and minus's.