• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten owner trading question

Suespak

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a 4 bedroom unit at summit in Massanutten. As an owner I’ve been paying my MF ahead of time to pick a week to book. I’ve never deposited the weeks. If I deposit the weeks, what is my chance of getting a 4 bedroom at the regal vistas with my deposit. I have a feeling I’m better off doing what I do but maybe there is a strong trading power with the summit ... thanks!

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 bedroom unit at summit in Massanutten. As an owner I’ve been paying my MF ahead of time to pick a week to book. I’ve never deposited the weeks. If I deposit the weeks, what is my chance of getting a 4 bedroom at the regal vistas with my deposit. I have a feeling I’m better off doing what I do but maybe there is a strong trading power with the summit ... thanks!
Are you in RCI or II? If RCI, you can go to the RCI site to play with the TPU calculator. It lets you enter your exact week and see how many points you would get for the deposit.

I'm not really familiar with Massanutten. Are these units lockoffs? That is, do you have to deposit them as a 4br, or can you split them into two 2brs? If you can split them, remember that most people will deposit them as two 2brs, for more TPUs, rather than as a single 4br. I was watching Regal Vistas for a while and I thought they were all 2brs....

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

It is good, I think. You would need to play with the TPU calculator to be sure. But you will either need to trade a higher demand week for a lower demand week or be a bit of a day trader looking for discounted weeks at Regal Vistas.

You will also need to deposit your lock offs separately and likely book two separated Regal Vista units (which the resort will give you a duplex for in all likelihood.)

I own at Woodstone. I have stayed at Summit several times and have stayed at Regal Vistas. What you want to do is doable, but I would not pay the RCI fees for the pleasure of doing it.

Maybe deposit one of your lock off units one year if you don’t need it. Get one of the Massanutten trading power boosts for paying your MFs early, and use that trading power to land a Regal Vistas week.

PS — I am a big fan of the refurbished Summit units.

Suespak

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you in RCI or II? If RCI, you can go to the RCI site to play with the TPU calculator. It lets you enter your exact week and see how many points you would get for the deposit.

I'm not really familiar with Massanutten. Are these units lockoffs? That is, do you have to deposit them as a 4br, or can you split them into two 2brs? If you can split them, remember that most people will deposit them as two 2brs, for more TPUs, rather than as a single 4br. I was watching Regal Vistas for a while and I thought they were all 2brs....
I am in RCI and thanks - I see the calculator! We do have a lockoff since we can deposit one as you say. That's good advice and I will do that. Thanks again

Suespak

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is good, I think. You would need to play with the TPU calculator to be sure. But you will either need to trade a higher demand week for a lower demand week or be a bit of a day trader looking for discounted weeks at Regal Vistas.

You will also need to deposit your lock offs separately and likely book two separated Regal Vista units (which the resort will give you a duplex for in all likelihood.)

I own at Woodstone. I have stayed at Summit several times and have stayed at Regal Vistas. What you want to do is doable, but I would not pay the RCI fees for the pleasure of doing it.

Maybe deposit one of your lock off units one year if you don’t need it. Get one of the Massanutten trading power boosts for paying your MFs early, and use that trading power to land a Regal Vistas week.

PS — I am a big fan of the refurbished Summit units.
We do love the refurbished Summits! We own a 4 bedroom at Summit and recently I bought a 4 bedroom at Regal Vista (off season) and we use the Summit every year to have a family get together. We are in the Regal Vista and thought it would be nice to get this each year instead, but it's not guaranteed like when I book the Summit. I would have to deposit the summit and hope to get a regal vista when I wanted it. And I usually have to do popular weeks with the Summit since the whole family comes. So, I am basically just trying to figure out the best bang for my buck sort of. Thanks for your helpful response.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do love the refurbished Summits! We own a 4 bedroom at Summit and recently I bought a 4 bedroom at Regal Vista (off season) and we use the Summit every year to have a family get together. We are in the Regal Vista and thought it would be nice to get this each year instead, but it's not guaranteed like when I book the Summit. I would have to deposit the summit and hope to get a regal vista when I wanted it. And I usually have to do popular weeks with the Summit since the whole family comes. So, I am basically just trying to figure out the best bang for my buck sort of. Thanks for your helpful response.

Don't forget that to get two 2br Regal Vistas, you will have to pay two exchange fees to RCI. So that's $500 before you even get started, really. If you go for it, I would call Massanutten first and make sure that if you get two 2br Regal Vistas for the same week, they will put them together so you have a 4br. (We go to a completely unrelated resort that has a 1br/1br split and they've told me that they would do this if we ever book two 1br units for the same week.)

Does Massanutten do internal exchanges for owners?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
MIght have missed this....what week are you looking for? I have a Regal Vista 4BR week 5.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Don't forget that to get two 2br Regal Vistas, you will have to pay two exchange fees to RCI. So that's $500 before you even get started, really. If you go for it, I would call Massanutten first and make sure that if you get two 2br Regal Vistas for the same week, they will put them together so you have a 4br. (We go to a completely unrelated resort that has a 1br/1br split and they've told me that they would do this if we ever book two 1br units for the same week.)@Su
Does Massanutten do internal exchanges for owners?
Their internal exchange is through RCI. Same inventory but exchanges are $159 each instead of $249. Unlike other sections of Massanutten no one is assigned specific units until check in (really the day before but they won't tell you what they assigned until check in and you can ask to change if other units are available). For an owner at Massanutten, the chance of you getting your units together in Regal vista are 100%, you just call and they will link the two reservations so they are assigned together. I have had them do 2 rci reservations and 1 owner 2br plus and rci exchange. Even for non owners if you have 2 rci reservations the chances are over 90% that they will link them as long as they have the same check in/out day.

@Suespak if you are exchanging through weeks and you want the summer, finding two 2BR Regal Vistas for the same week will be difficult. Two summers ago, I had a Regal Vista for my family but couldn't get a second for the same week so I booked a Mountainside Villa for my brother's family. It worked out well. They enjoyed seeing all the deer from their porches. They were able to sleep 6 in beds (2 Beds in the loft) so no one had to sleep on a sofa bed. We did 2 dinners at Regal Vistas cooking out on the grill and then pool afterwards. 2 dinners at Mountainside with a visit to the pool with the diving board.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
IMHO, if you want the ability long term to trade your Summit for Regal Vistas and maximum flexibility, I would pick up an affordable RCI Points Trader like an EOY Grandview and do a points for deposit (PFD) on a prime Summit week on years you want to do this. I have not ever personally done that, but there are several in TUG like @tschwa2 that have taken that approach with Summit units.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Is the regal vista you purchased in points? If so you can already do a points for deposit of summit and then if you make the exchanges for $60 at 11 months out at Regal Vistas.