• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Massanutten is an awesome value and best kept secret on east coast

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
having several times I've heard to called... Mass O' Nutten. there is lot to do around the area especially is you golf, swim, tennis, hike, ride the gokarts etc. winters we would ski, tube and hang..
Mass O' Nutten only refers to the ski slopes. Lot's to do when its warm there.

glickfamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten Mountainside Villas, Peppertree Sandpebble Beach, Holiday Inn Club Vacations Hill Country Resort
Can you tell me how much you pay for taxes and resort upkeep fees each year? We are considering purchasing a week as we have loved trading into Mountain Side Villas but don’t want to move forward without some idea. Thanks for your help!!
We own at Mountainside Villas ..and our maintenance fees are under $600 a year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Maybe we will trade into those villas sometime. When is the best time to go when weather is mild and not hot and humid. What about early May?

What would we do there? I am a major history buff.

Dbostron

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham national harbor, charter club Marco island, massanutten
Maybe we will trade into those villas sometime. When is the best time to go when weather is mild and not hot and humid. What about early May?

We have owned at Massanutten since 1980. We've upgraded over the years.

I think from mid April would be nice. One spring visit in SNP, we participated in a ranger talk and activity about the wild spring flowers, We always spend multiple days in SNP (Shenandoah National Park) for hikes and ranger programs. In early years, we went to the various Civil War sites nearby and caverns. Long time ago, many of the kids' activities and crafts were free. We never had a bad vacation. This year taking the next generation (grandchildren).

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally think the best kept secret is Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort in Myrtle Beach, AKA Grand Palms by Wyndham after the takeover. The fees are low, and it's Myrtle Beach, not right on the ocean, but the units are very large and lockoff into two sides. But RCI ruined the trading power.

Yes.. we have owned there since 1997. Never stayed there. Traded all over the world. Still holding on to it and getting decent trades here in Florida. My kids never want to use the TPUs or stay there.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

You can also do a day trip to Monticello. Its a little over 50 miles and takes about an hour and 10 min. I remember it was fairly expensive but it included more than we were doing because the my children didn't have the patience to make it an all day thing but if you do all of the included programs it is probably more than worth it.

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there for what seemed like a year one week (probably 20yrs ago) bored out of my mind.

I remember the same feeling on vacation with my family in Cambria, CA, when I was a teenager! I would probably enjoy the slower pace now, lolz

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is the crowd but Massanothing is one of the best places we have mountain biked on the east coast. Lot of variety and this year you can get a shuttle to avoid a lot of climbing. If anyone wants any advice on rides let me know.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
On our last visit in November 2021. We stayed in a Woodstones villas A&B.
The A side did not have a full kitchen. Both the A &B villas are very large unit, nice size living room areas and master bedrooms. Both had nice balcony overlooking the mountains. As exchangers into this resort. Their resort fees can be a deal breaker. IMHO.

mbinpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with liking the darkness. There are units in Eagle Trace where you can sit on your balcony at night and actually be able to see stars. I also think it is really cool that the timeshare resorts have their own actual police department. I really like Massanutten!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have to agree with liking the darkness. There are units in Eagle Trace where you can sit on your balcony at night and actually be able to see stars. I also think it is really cool that the timeshare resorts have their own actual police department. I really like Massanutten!
the police dept was disbanded about a year and a half ago; maybe even before covid. No more gated entrance up the mountain.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
the police dept was disbanded about a year and a half ago; maybe even before covid. No more gated entrance up the mountain.
Did the HOA reduce maintenance fees for not having a full time security force onsite

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Did the HOA reduce maintenance fees for not having a full time security force onsite

I never saw much police presence other than in the shack before going up on the Mountain. I believe the “police force” was disbanded when Woodstone and Regal Vistas quit paying money toward the MPOA security that really did nothing for them.

I am sure it is saving the HOAs some money, but enough to counterbalance other rising costs …. probably not.

I believe the divisions on the mountain are still stuck paying the fees to MPOA.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also do a day trip to Monticello. Its a little over 50 miles and takes about an hour and 10 min. I remember it was fairly expensive but it included more than we were doing because the my children didn't have the patience to make it an all day thing but if you do all of the included programs it is probably more than worth it.
oh I have always wanted to see the gardens there

dannybaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in one of the homes or villas with a garage, we put it in our top five favorite places. I believe it has a 1 in 4 policy.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Here now and my husband was just complaining about the same thing. I forgot olive oil so although I had brought down a box of food to cook we had to go out for dinner. We ate at the Italian place near the Food Lion in Elkton. The pizza onsite isn't bad but a plain cheese was $15 and at the place in Elkton the Large Margherita was $15.50 and better. We did a little shopping at Food Lion and then grabbed a quick pint at the Elkton Brewery before heading back to the resort. It's misting and DH complained the whole way back (11 minutes) that he wished they had more street lights.
Why didn’t you buy olive oil at Food Lion?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why didn’t you buy olive oil at Food Lion?
Was going to but they didn't have a small si,e and I just bought zesty Italian dressing.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

We went to so many historical sites when we stayed there did day trips every day. Went to the pool once and found it crowded with cold water.

madex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here now as well. First time staying in Mountainside Villas. Guess I am in the minority. I prefer darker to street lights.
We used to have a house nearby, but moved away a couple of years ago. The most beautiful starry skies at night! The light pollution would ruin it.
Unfortunately, we moved on, kids too, so we put our Woodstone units for sale. It was fun, and great memories with the family. We have an annual fixed week in the Summer, so no juggling around with uncertainty.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Thinking of buying a fixed or floating week here to deposit with Trading Places International. Is the management company easy to deal with as far as reserving my week and then depositing it with an Exchange Co, like TPI? Not interested in Points.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We've been using Trading Places since it was VRIety. Great company to deal with. And as far as east coast hidden gems VRI's Foxrun at Lake Lure is great with the amenities of Rumbling Bald with Chimney Rock and Ashville nearby.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember one TUG member, Charles, long since gone from thyroid cancer, saying, "Mass-nothing," because he stayed once. He owned at Marriott's Ford's Colony and loved Williamsburg.

I am trying to remember his TUG name, but he was a Foxrun owner and was in my old Yahoo group, now defunct.
Im with that guy. I want to be near somewhere(i dont think williamsburgh is worth my time either), the resort is not my destination...it id where i want to go after my day of destination touring.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Does one management company handle all the Massanutten resorts? Anyone know their name & number?
Is it the MPOA?

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great Eastern is the developer and controls all of the HOA's with the exception of Mountainside Villas which has an independent HOA and has hired Good Management to manage. I think you would contact Great Eastern if you want to put in a bid to supply toilet paper or want information about one of their job fairs either as a timeshare sales person or maid/groundskeeper, or to work at with the ski patrol or as a lifeguard or golf pro. If you want general info you call the front desk.