• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Restaurants are open in January, although some will close for a week or two. The SERG coupon books have been gone for a couple of years now. There are still a few restaurants that do BOGO in the winter—Scott’s Fish Market comes to mind.
While the SERG book was gone in 2020/2021, but they still had a digital version. Did they not even offer the digital passport in 2021/2022?

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the SERG book was gone in 2020/2021, but they still had a digital version. Did they not even offer the digital passport in 2021/2022?

They did offer the Community Strong VIP Passport digital booklet in 2021-2022 that expires 4/30/22. I haven’t seen whether a 2022-2023 version has been released.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They did offer the Community Strong VIP Passport digital booklet in 2021-2022 that expires 4/30/22. I haven’t seen whether a 2022-2023 version has been released.
But isn't that the one that is for purchase that they started offering in 2020 in light of the pandemic? Not the usual December-February BOGO offering they have that is free (really just BOGO coupons)?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks, :) but I just want to know HTF you found that in this 28 page thread?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The HH restaurants are still going strong in January and February...don't be misled. Not as many deals as in the past, a few BOGOs but not a lot.....
but that's because the restaurant business is still in the recovery mode, and we understand that. I'm sure those deals will return some day.
A few places close a week or two in January, simply for a break and for allowing the employees to spend time with their families,
not for a lack of business, though.
We hate when some are closed!!!! It's not that things are slow----they're not really slow----we see that the restaurants are still packed.
IMHO, the closures are a holdover from years past when they used to be slow, so it's probably been ingrained and expected by employees
every year, and welcomed.
We dine out a lot, well every night frankly, and we've never noticed a lack of crowds anywhere. Some of the longest lines we've ever
encountered have been in January....about 3 years ago we waited on a table at Skull Creek Boathouse for 2 hours, and on a Monday night, no less.
Forgot to do the call-ahead seating which I preach about so often.....who knew? I should have!

We are at Hilton Head for two weeks in January and two weeks in February. Let me assure you---there is no off-season at HH anymore!
The MGO occupancy is very high, and it's the same at the other Marriotts. It's a great time of year to be there.
The weather can be cold but many days it can also be in the 60s and even 70s.
Can be iffy from January to April, but the beautiful days are so awesome. My wife plays tennis and does the free Grande Ocean clinics EVERY weekday morning (they have two tennis pros), and they have a blast. Around 15-20 participants daily. We've gotten to know 23 couples who are there every year going back 15+ years, mostly snow birds from all over the northeast. Not all, but most play tennis, but all are there
at Grande Ocean for fun!
It's a time we truly look forward to. All of these people have become dear friends, and they hang out and enjoy each other as much as possible.
Games, dinners out or in, events, parties, movie nights.... whatever. Many, well most, are there for 8-12 consecutive weeks...
some from December through March. It's madness.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thank you so much for all these reviews, @jme!

You're very, very welcome, and thanks from the bottom of my .....uhhhh......stomach.
(Really, thanks from the bottom of my heart, PamMo! And I sincerely mean that. )

It began innocently because HH codes historically never allowed much signage---a bare minimum in fact, and all inconspicuous.
Visitors seldom had a clue where to go and what to do. And menu booklets and fliers weren't always published.
AND, to add to the confusion, things changed dramatically each and every year....some places closed and some new places opened....
always in a state of flux.......There are about 250+ restaurants on HH Island, and you can easily see only about a dozen...lol.
At night you can't see any of them. Good luck finding ANYTHING at night on the island.
I've been going to HH since childhood, so I was pretty familiar with things, so I thought I'd recommend a few places
to those who asked. It evolved into a monster....but it's a friendly monster.

I enjoy it....... and I believe people appreciate receiving honest opinions. And everyone is so different in likes and dislikes,
so a list seemed to offer the easiest way to address the "problem". Who wants to spend valuable vacation time doing restaurant research?
And resorts didn't exactly offer unbiased advice.
Anyway, many thanks again. It's truly my pleasure...... and such a demanding and grueling task, lol.
As we always say, a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

Note: I do owe a lot to my beautiful and sweet wife (see post # 651 on page 27), who voluntarily and unselfishly closed the resort kitchen
so I could devote more time to doing this relentless research. The restaurants are all personally tried and true, so to speak.
And she doesn't mind accompanying me to bear witness to my findings. To keep up appearances, I always let her order whatever she wants.
What a wonderful and fun accomplice I have, and for that I love her dearly. :)

Last edited:

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
But isn't that the one that is for purchase that they started offering in 2020 in light of the pandemic? Not the usual December-February BOGO offering they have that is free (really just BOGO coupons)?

Yes, you are correct - I think it was $300 with a portion going to the community (and the purchaser receiving $100 in gift cards plus the coupon booklet). That is very different than the free BOGO offerings.

gsb

Reaction score
They have issued another Community Strong card for 2022-2023.

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Marty for your diligence in sharing a place you love. Nothing like referrals from a foodie. We have been there in early December and love the festive holiday lights and celebrations at Shelter Cove. Have you noticed if the lights last pass New Years ?

Reactions: jme

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love this ongoing thread, and almost always skim thru it before another trip to HHI, so thank you jme for it. Often I notice somewhere we haven't tried. Last trip, I spotted Fishcamp, which somehow I'd overlooked during 25 or 50 trips to HHI over the years. It immediately became a favorite, so we ate there at least 3x. I just noticed 2 French bistro's, so they're both on the list for an upcoming trip -- any restaurant whose menu has the words beef and bourguignon in the same dish will be tried by us -- many years ago we'd liked a French bistro place which had disappeared.

We used to use all those SERG BOGO's. This past Nov, seems like there was some deal for buying a $100 gift certificate, which we did since I knew we'd use that much during our stay; can't recall what the deal was. Usually any of their deals are off-season only.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
They have issued another Community Strong card for 2022-2023.
Do you have a link fir this? When I check the Serg Group web site I cannot find it.

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOVE this list! Marty, thank you for taking the time and effort to put it together and keep it updated.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
As always, Marty's list is superb. Nectar Farm Kitchen is also part of SERG. SERG Group also has a loyalty program. Sign up in one of the restaurants and then you just give them your phone number each time you use one of their restaurants. SERG has greatly expanded the last few years and now has several restaurants in Bluffton.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We just dined tonight at the new Quarterdeck in Harbour Town for the first time. I would say this has now become a must-eat destination restaurant for any island visitor. The views are incredible across the Calibogue Sound and over toward the 18th green at Harbour Town Golf Links. The new two level facility is massive and it does change the look of Harbour Town. The new building is beautiful, but it sorta competes with the lighthouse visually. The old building was smaller so the lighthouse was the centerpiece. That said, it is a great facility and is a "do not miss" place, just for the ambiance and views alone.

We had a 7:30 reservation, but when we arrived the hostess told us they were running 20-30 minutes behind due to "staff outs", so that gave us a chance to go up to the rooftop bar for a pre-dinner glass of wine and to enjoy the sunset views. Had they not been running late, we would likely not have sampled this part of the facility, so it worked out great. It is a beautiful setting. We were seated downstairs at an outside patio table shortly before 8pm. The service was excellent and the food was great. We had the Local Charcoal-Roasted Shrimp as an appetizer and we both had the Quarterdeck She Crab Soup. My wife just had the Baby Greens salad as her entree and I had the South Carolina Grouper Rockefeller, which was absolutely delicious. We passed on dessert.

I made the reservation for tonight a few weeks ago when we were on the island for the RBC Heritage PGA tourney, and am glad I was able to get in prior to the peak season starting. As Marty says in his latest update, this is going to be a VERY popular place to dine. Make your reservations early!

Here is the food menu:
QD-menu-2022 copy.jpg

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was very disappointed to learn today that SERG Takeout Kitchen has discontinued their hot meals to go that had been available on Wed-Fri. I had frequently enjoyed the chicken piccata, chicken marsala, salmon, and other specialties. Their catering business has grown a lot so they are unable to staff the preparation of the hot takeout meals. They continue to offer great frozen meals and key lime pie. I hope they restore the hot meals by January when I return.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We've been at our HHI condo since May 26 and have dined at several places from Marty's list:
  • Michael Anthony's (Dined with friends, but the first time for us at Michael Anthony's - excellent service and great Italian food)
  • Santa Fe (Best TexMex on the island)
  • Ela's on the Water (This has become one of our top 2-3 places on the island. I had their amazing Steamed Lobster over citrus lobster risotto and my wife had Salmon Rockefeller)
  • The Jazz Corner (Great food and music as always; our first time back since New Years Eve)
We will be here through June 12 and have Wise Guys scheduled for next Friday night, and probably will add at least one more TBD.

We are a little disappointed that it appears Skull Creek Dockside has stopped doing reservations and is now first come first served like Skull Creek Boathouse next door. We much prefer to dine where we can get reservations rather than deal with long waits. :cry:

Here's a shot from our table last Friday evening at Ela's. We love the setting there.

IMG_2852.jpg

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
JIMinNC........YES, Ela's is excellent in every way, and the view at night is wonderful and quite romantic..... what a place.
And a nice stroll around the harbor at Shelter Cove is really fun, before or after dinner.
It's beautiful, and typically the gas lamps are lit and gorgeous flower hanging baskets are along the way. The sunset is great over the water if you catch it just right.
Now for another great experience or two:
You need to try The Pearl, owned by the son of Ela's owner, and a great spot in Bluffton (table 71 or 70 on front porch, so nice).
Then The Sage Room off Pope Ave., 4-top table #31. It's awesome. Small and intimate, perfect in every way too.
Then The Studio.....it'll be impressive as well.
So that's your homework assignment. Good luck

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
JIMinNC........YES, Ela's is excellent in every way, and the view at night is wonderful and quite romantic..... what a place.
And a nice stroll around the harbor at Shelter Cove is really fun, before or after dinner.
It's beautiful, and typically the gas lamps are lit and gorgeous flower hanging baskets are along the way. The sunset is great over the water if you catch it just right.
Now for another great experience or two:
You need to try The Pearl, owned by the son of Ela's owner, and a great spot in Bluffton (table 71 or 70 on front porch, so nice).
Then The Sage Room off Pope Ave., 4-top table #31. It's awesome. Small and intimate, perfect in every way too.
Then The Studio.....it'll be impressive as well.
So that's your homework assignment. Good luck

Gotta try The Sage Room for sure. Not sure why we never have. It's been at the top of our must-try list for a while. I think it's because they don't do online reservations, and we are so oriented toward just going on OpenTable or Resy that we sometimes miss the places that you have to call on the phone.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from brunch at Lulu Kitchen. Food was great. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been there. Amazing indredients. Very reasonably priced, but not inexpensive.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Gotta try The Sage Room for sure. Not sure why we never have. It's been at the top of our must-try list for a while. I think it's because they don't do online reservations, and we are so oriented toward just going on OpenTable or Resy that we sometimes miss the places that you have to call on the phone.

The Sage Room is a great restaurant. Glad you finally tried it. (What, you don't trust me, lol?) You will return I'm sure....
It's special, and totally different from what I initially expected.....it's intimate and has a very casual atmosphere,
but they are serious about their food and service, and it shows.
It's small compared to most, and they truly enjoy serving their "regulars".
The seating is somewhat limited, and they especially love to see their local patrons taking full advantage of the bar seating and having a great time.
The bar seating is always full. I don't see that same vibe at many restaurants. Lots of laughter and everyone engaging each other.
It's my honest opinion that they don't wish to advertise so much, but instead rely on word-of-mouth.
Although they certainly don't exclude anyone (Thankful they let me in!), my guess is that they simply don't want to be found online.
Like you, I use OpenTable or Resy almost exclusively because of the convenience.
It's probably no surprise that the two of the very best restaurants on HH, Vine and Sage Room, do not use those services, but rely on a phone call
and a messaging service to connect for reservations.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thinking about our TUG friend Marty right now as we are sitting down to a nice dinner at one of his favorites - Gusto!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thinking about our TUG friend Marty right now as we are sitting down to a nice dinner at one of his favorites - Gusto!

Thanks for the kind words! Very nice of you to say.......
I'm definitely jealous, but then, I remain jealous of you throughout the year!

Yes we do like Gusto....not as fancy as Michael Anthony's or Ombra, but still quite nice and very attractive.
Reminiscent of the small but wonderful family-owned restaurants in Italy that we adored-----great food, great service, great prices!
That's the norm in most every town, especially throughout Tuscany.
Hope you enjoyed it.........

Also hope you had the good fortune to experience the special "welcome" and good service of Antonio, our favorite server.
He's a trip! I try to order something different each visit, but I continue to go back to the Fettuccine alla Bolognese......
just a good solid dish that always satisfies. And great with a good "Super Tuscan" or Borolo wine....and on occasion a Brunello.
All the best, and Cin Cin

Last edited: