• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears that restaurant week will be 2/20-27. Unfortunately I will be gone by then. I hope some of you can enjoy it.

I looked at the website but can’t tell how this works. Can you give an explanation?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at the website but can’t tell how this works. Can you give an explanation?
I noticed the website has changed since I posted. Here is the current link with dates and details.

The restaurant list is much smaller and the links currently don't list any specials information, so I assume these will be updated as more information is provided. Last year, the special menus were listed when you clicked on the restaurant link.

Ela's is currently offering their tasting menu through the end of Jan.

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We left Hilton Head on Sunday after two weeks, and we'll go back for another two weeks in February.
We dined at several different places,
but already I'm missing our favorite spot Santa Fe......
In 22 years of staying at Grande Ocean, our "home away from home", and dining at Santa Fe,
it just never gets old!.......... in fact the more we go, the more we love BOTH.
On our first night at Hilton Head, always and without fail, you'll find us at Santa Fe.

So, the photos below show why I love it so much, and why I always tell friends that it's our favorite restaurant on the island:
(note: I always get stuck on an entree for a couple of years, and then I change to another, but you could close your eyes and pick one----
they're all fantastic. Right now I'm stuck on the Blackened Redfish, before that it was the Cowboy Cut Ribeye, and before that
their signature Grouper (whose sauce is unique and unsurpassed. I didn't show their famous Painted Desert Soup, or the Lamb Chops,
or the Chimichanga, or the............but trust me, it's all "to die for".)

Appetizer: Mesquite Grilled Jumbo Shrimp w avocados/salsa,
and their all-time best Salsa & Chips
(sorry, we had almost eaten the chips)
1611177661917.png

Blackened Redfish
1611177297146.png

Beef Burrito (wife's favorite).... (Shredded Beef Burrito or their Ribeye Burrito)
1611177410300.png

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We left Hilton Head on Sunday after two weeks, and we'll go back for another two weeks in February.
We dined at several different places,
but already I'm missing our favorite spot Santa Fe......
In 22 years of staying at Grande Ocean, our "home away from home", and dining at Santa Fe,
it just never gets old!.......... in fact the more we go, the more we love BOTH.
On our first night at Hilton Head, always and without fail, you'll find us at Santa Fe.

So, the photos below show why I love it so much, and why I always tell friends that it's our favorite restaurant on the island:
(note: I always get stuck on an entree for a couple of years, and then I change to another, but you could close your eyes and pick one----
they're all fantastic. Right now I'm stuck on the Blackened Redfish, before that it was the Cowboy Cut Ribeye, and before that
their signature Grouper (whose sauce is unique and unsurpassed. I didn't show their famous Painted Desert Soup, or the Lamb Chops,
or the Chimichanga, or the............but trust me, it's all "to die for".)

Appetizer: Mesquite Grilled Jumbo Shrimp w avocados/salsa,
and their all-time best Salsa & Chips
(sorry, we had almost eaten the chips)
View attachment 31290

Blackened Redfish
View attachment 31288

Beef Burrito (wife's favorite).... (Shredded Beef Burrito or their Ribeye Burrito)
View attachment 31289
Thanks for the update. We are heading there tomorrow for a carryout. I love the blackened redfish and painted desert soup and my brother likes the grouper. We'll enjoy it with a bottle of Petite Petite.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite restaurant as well. When you said you were missing it already, I was afraid it had closed. Whew!

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Popeyes Closed

Article from Island Packet

The restaurant at 15 Park Lane was the only Popeyes in Beaufort County and had been open a little more than five years. The franchise owner would not comment about specific reasons the restaurant closed, and calls and emails to corporate owner Restaurant Brands International went unanswered.

Bojangles and KFC both have locations in Bluffton, but to help fill the void left by the closure of the fast-food chain on Hilton Head, we turned to online review sites with the goal of finding some local options.

We can’t say which is the best fried chicken for everyone’s taste buds and this list isn’t comprehensive, but here are some restaurants worth trying.

Lucky Rooster Kitchen and Bar

Lucky Rooster, located at 841 William Hilton Parkway, lists half a fried chicken on its menu. It’s served with beer- and bacon-braised collard greens, mac and cheese, and a honey hot sauce. Call 843-681-3473.

For one reviewer on Trip Advisor, this fried chicken was a truly Southern experience:

Top of Form
Bottom of Form​
“... My daughters and I enjoyed the fried chicken and now we understand why southerners love their fried chicken. Furthermore the mashed potatoes together with the fried chicken was heavenly.”

Ruby Lee’s South

Ruby Lee’s at 19 Dunnagans Alley gets high marks for atmosphere and live music from online reviewers in spite of an entertainment fee added to their bills. The menu includes fried chicken and waffles with hot pepper syrup and collard greens ($19.95), or diners can choose the two different fried chicken plates with sides like collards, cole slaw, fries and others ($22.92 or $19.95). Call 843-785-7825.

Here’s one reviewer who had a great meal, according to Trip Advisor:

“This was our first time - the entertainment was really good. Our food was really good - we had the 3 piece fried chicken with 2 sides. So yummy!”

Annie O’s Kitchen

Pop into Annie O’s, located at 124 Arrow Road, for a $15 Southern-fried chicken lunch plate, complete with your choice of sides. Or drop by in the evening for some Nashville hot chicken with a side, salad and biscuit for $18. Call 843-341-2664.

According to one reviewer on Yelp:

“I have no clue who Annie O is, but I thank her for making our Hilton Head trip tastier. I know it must be shocking to see a 5-star rating for a restaurant in a trendy vacation spot, but this place really hit me in all the right places (OW!).”

One Hot Mama’s American Grill

One Hot Mama’s fried chicken is smoked over a hickory fire, dipped in buttermilk and breaded before it goes into the fryer — special treatment that undoubtedly helped get the meal on Food Network’s “Extra Mile.” Includes two sides for $17.29. Located in Reilley’s Plaza on 7A-1 Greenwood Drive. Call 843-682-6262.

One Google reviewer said he could not wait to come back:

“Mama’s Smoked Fried Chicken was an absolute delight and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I found out this was one order. It is the crispiest fried chicken I’ve come across while still preserving the fluffiest meat underneath.”

Chow Daddy’s

Chow Daddy’s features fried chicken in several dishes, but the one that caught our eye was the smoked fried chicken bowl, a boneless, skinless breast served with sriracha aioli, fresh slaw and basmati rice for $17. It’s available at the restaurant located at 14-B Executive Park Road (call 843-842-2469) or at the Pickup Pop-up on Lighthouse Road in Sea Pines (call 843-671-2469). Bonus for those dining in Bluffton: It’s on the Chow Daddy’s menu there, too.

Here’s how a reviewer on Trip Advisor described it:

“The fried chicken bowl was recommended by my waitress, and although I prefer fish when I’m in HH, I decided to go with the recommendation. This was excellent. Moist on the inside, crispy on the outside with a light spicy sauce.”

A Lowcountry Backyard Restaurant

A Lowcountry Backyard, on 32 Palmetto Bay Road, serves up the “Bischick” — marinated chicken breast, breaded and fried, topped with gravy and paired with a biscuit. Comes with your choice of a side dish for $14.95. Call 843-785-9273.

The Bischick is popular with Google reviewers:

“I got the Bischick. Fried chicken on a biscuit covered with gravy. It was so delicious and filling!”

“We love it every time we come to town. The Bischick is as good as it gets. What’s not to love about a giant piece of fried chicken on a biscuit covered with gravy.”

Palmetto Dunes General Store

The Palmetto Dunes General Store at 1 Trent Jones Lane in Palmetto Dunes calls its secret recipe for fried chicken “world famous.” We’re not sure about that, but it’s certainly the place to stop if you want to pick up a great lunch and some extra supplies too. Call: 843-842-2507.

Here’s what a reviewer on Yelp had to say:

“Sounds strange that a general store would have decent food, but the back corner of this busy little store serves out tasty breakfasts and the best fried chicken on the island. Go on a bike ride and grab something to eat here or a coffee, soda, freeze drink. The entrance is lined with people eating on the porch watching tennis and bikers.”

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Steve A, for some outstanding suggestions for the best fried chicken on The Island.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
My SIL had fried chicken from SERG catering/carryout last week and said it was very good. My brother and I had salmon, which was also good. They offer several hot meals to go now, and are much busier than last year. The key lime pie is delicious.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
SERG to Offer Paid Leave to Hourly Employees

Good for them.

From the Island Packet

Hilton Head’s largest restaurant group, which employs about 1,200 people and operates more than a dozen restaurants, has a new policy that allows its employees, including those working part time, to accrue paid leave as they work.

The Southeastern Entertainment Restaurant Group (SERG) started the program Jan. 1. Hourly employees who have worked for SERG for at least one year will earn one hour of paid vacation time for every 40 hours they work.

Jordan Norris, a human resources manager at SERG, said 128 restaurant group employees are salaried and already earn paid leave.

According to a March 2020 report by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, only 39% of part-time civilian workers receive paid vacation, compared to 87% of full-time workers.

Robin DiPietro, director of the University of South Carolina’s International Institute for Foodservice Research and Education, said SERG’s move is fairly unique among small restaurant groups. She said some larger chains, including McDonalds and Starbucks, offer similar benefits.

DiPietro welcomed the move, saying it gives SERG a competitive advantage, which could help the company improve its employee base.

“This gives them a chance to really set themselves apart and create this higher bar,” DiPietro said.

It is unclear how common paid leave for hourly workers is on Hilton Head. An official from South Carolina’s Department of Employment and Workforce said employers do not report information about paid leave to the department.

An official with a local hiring agency said Hilton Head has struggled for years to maintain a large enough workforce, largely because workers lack affordable housing and reliable transportation.

And with staff in and out of work due to COVID, the pandemic has only exacerbated the staffing problem, said the official, who declined to be identified.

“I do think everybody’s preparing for the big push” going into the summer, he said. “It’s just really tough out there.”

Skylar Ganzel, a junior sous chef at Hilton Head’s WiseGuys, has been working for SERG for nearly four years and stands to benefit from the new program. The terms of her employment did not previously include paid time off.

“I didn’t know they were actually going to do it, or that they were actually going to do it so soon,” Ganzel said. “But with all that’s been happening over the last year and a half, everybody’s kind of generous right now.”

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great job Marty
I was just in Hilton Head at Grande Ocean for two nights.
I didn't have much time to evaluate the restaurant scene but I was surprised (almost shocked) at how shut down it appeared.
I also noticed that in terms of a fresh fish market Barnacle Bill's was closed (but perhabs only for the two days I was there)
I will be returning to Grande Ocean for a short week in mid February
We will not be doing on site dining
Any suggestions for some, on island , good local seafood retaurant for takeout and also an alternate fresh fish market ?
Since I am doing take out, closer for the restaurant is better but the seafood market could be on or off island
Thanks

Barb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great job Marty
I didn't have much time to evaluate the restaurant scene but I was surprised (almost shocked) at how shut down it appeared.
I also noticed that in terms of a fresh fish market Barnacle Bill's was closed (but perhabs only for the two days I was there)
Any suggestions for some, on island , good local seafood retaurant for takeout and also an alternate fresh fish market ?
Since I am doing take out, closer for the restaurant is better but the seafood market could be on or off island
Thanks
I live in Hilton Head. There are 3 great options for fresh fish: the stand on 278 just before the bridge is run by a family that's been there for years. They carry fresh shrimp as well as fish. It's always fresh. Benny Hudson's seafood market is on Squire Pope Rd. before you get to Hudson's restaurant. It has a small sign, so look carefully for it. Piggly Wiggly in Coligny plaza carries fish and has a good connection with the local fishermen. Hope this helps!

Barb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great job Marty
Thanks
The best new restaurants in Hilton Head are Nunzio's and Chez George. They are both on New Orleans Rd. They are expensive but wonderful...really gourmet. Nunzio's has an earlybird dinner which is not publicized, but you can inquire when you call. Reservations are a must at both.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Great job Marty
Thanks

We like Bluffton Oyster Company off-island for fresh seafood, and also have been happy with the seafood counter in the Fresh Market mid-island on 278.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been primarily ordering carryout and have been pleased with the job the restaurants have been doing with their seafood items.
Santa Fe: Excellent Redfish and Grouper entrees. Almost as good as when dining there. They charge an additional 10% for carryout orders. (The painted desert soup still tasted great but looked more like modern art by the time we got it to our villa:).)
Sea Grass Grille: Delicious Grouper Piccata and sides.
SERG Group Carryout: Very good salmon, fresh, simply prepared with generous sides; (only available on Tuesday)
Scott's : Very disappointing, I had a very bad piece of fish (supposedly grouper), rubbery and with grissle, I think it was monk fish; My brother's piece was fine

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've been primarily ordering carryout and have been pleased with the job the restaurants have been doing with their seafood items.
Santa Fe: Excellent Redfish and Grouper entrees. Almost as good as when dining there. They charge an additional 10% for carryout orders. (The painted desert soup still tasted great but looked more like modern art by the time we got it to our villa:).)
Sea Grass Grille: Delicious Grouper Piccata and sides.
SERG Group Carryout: Very good salmon, fresh, simply prepared with generous sides; (only available on Tuesday)
Scott's : Very disappointing, I had a very bad piece of fish (supposedly grouper), rubbery and with grissle, I think it was monk fish; My brother's piece was fine

I eat-in at restaurants very infrequently, Don and any guests we have more frequently than me, but the majority of the time we do take-out whether it's from a sub shop or a high-end restaurant. (Our overall preference is still to buy good ingredients and cook in.) The restaurant I bolded, Sea Grass Grille, is my favorite on the island for ambience and the one I'm more apt to join the group if that's where they decide to go. Don't know what it is about the place, if it's because our first visit was with company who are no longer with us or what, but it's just very comfortable yet still "a treat" that I really enjoy. I'm surprised it doesn't land on more people's list of favorites.

Due to COVID and our kids/grandkids needing us up here, we haven't been back home to Hilton Head since the spring. I'm so envious of all of you who are there, and can't wait to get back. :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Palmetto Dunes General Store

The Palmetto Dunes General Store at 1 Trent Jones Lane in Palmetto Dunes calls its secret recipe for fried chicken “world famous.” We’re not sure about that, but it’s certainly the place to stop if you want to pick up a great lunch and some extra supplies too. Call: 843-842-2507.

Here’s what a reviewer on Yelp had to say:

“Sounds strange that a general store would have decent food, but the back corner of this busy little store serves out tasty breakfasts and the best fried chicken on the island. Go on a bike ride and grab something to eat here or a coffee, soda, freeze drink. The entrance is lined with people eating on the porch watching tennis and bikers.”

I second the PD General Store. Try to get there for lunch before all the laborers on the island because they've been known to empty the case. The chicken salad is delicious, even if you buy it at 9AM and stick it in the fridge at home for lunch.

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned Gruby's Deli in the Fresh Market plaza. Yep, another good one to sneak in before the laborers and save for later! Can't tell you how many soup-and-sandwich suppers that we've disappointed ourselves by forgetting that it closes at 4.

Last edited:

okw1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great job Marty
Thanks
Get carry out from The Seashack!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I eat-in at restaurants very infrequently, Don and any guests we have more frequently than me, but the majority of the time we do take-out whether it's from a sub shop or a high-end restaurant. (Our overall preference is still to buy good ingredients and cook in.) The restaurant I bolded, Sea Grass Grille, is my favorite on the island for ambience and the one I'm more apt to join the group if that's where they decide to go. Don't know what it is about the place, if it's because our first visit was with company who are no longer with us or what, but it's just very comfortable yet still "a treat" that I really enjoy. I'm surprised it doesn't land on more people's list of favorites.

Due to COVID and our kids/grandkids needing us up here, we haven't been back home to Hilton Head since the spring. I'm so envious of all of you who are there, and can't wait to get back. :)
We agree. We ate there inside last year during restaurant week and had carryout a few weeks ago. Overall, we rated it our top overall for quality, service, and convenience. This reminds us of our favorite local restaurants that consistently provide excellent food, quality ingredients, caring and timely service, reasonably priced wines, and attract a loyal group of locals. Unlike many other restaurants, even the side dishes are well prepared and portioned. I think they keep the top selling items on the menu rather than just focusing on the current trendy foods. Also, you aren't paying extra for the 'adjectives'. The grouper piccata and tomato pie were outstanding and fresh on both occasions. It is a very comforting and welcoming environment.

This restaurant reminds us of our favorites in Cincinnati (Trio's) and Kansas City (Jasper's Marco Polo).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
New Serg Restaurant [from Island Packet]

A new restaurant is coming to Hilton Head Island with four chefs at the helm and a focus on using ingredients from local farms.

Construction is underway for the Nectar Farm Kitchen, the Southeastern Entertainment Restaurant Group (SERG) announced on Friday. The restaurant will replace Marley’s Island Grille, which closed in September after 18 years operating on the south end of Hilton Head.

SERG originally planned to replace Marley’s with its restaurant-chain Giuseppi’s Pizza & Pasta House but decided to build a new restaurant.
“We felt this was definitely a better fit,” said Ryan Larson, the director of marketing for SERG, “(and) attractive to people of all walks of life. We want this to be more of a year-round destination.”

Larson said the restaurant will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. The chefs crafting the menu put an emphasis on sourcing their food from local farms. For example, Nectar Farm Kitchen will purchase eggs from Fili-West Farm in Vance and pork and chicken from Keegan Filion Farm in Walterboro.
The menu at Nectar Farm Kitchen includes sweet potato pancakes, blue crab mac and root beer-braised short ribs, according to a news release.

The four chefs running the restaurant are Brad Blake, executive chef of Skull Creek Boathouse; Chris Carge, partner at SERG and chef; Orchid Paulmeier, chef at One Hot Mama’s and Food Network show contestant; and Nick Unangst, executive culinary director and senior partner at SERG.

SERG said the restaurant will open on Feb. 1, 2021, on Office Park Road near Sea Pines.
Gave Nectar Farm Kitchen (SERG group’s latest) a try last night. Waitress said they had been opened 4 days. Both my wife and I enjoyed it. Some interesting menu items/pairings. I had the blackened Carolina catfish dinner with bacon collards, chow chow, potlicker and Carolina gold rice. Most of that I had no idea what it was, but it was really tasty. I cleaned my plate. ;-) My wife had the coastal hospitality burger with bacon pepper jam, pimento cheese, and sesame seed bun. She loved hers as well. Definitely worth giving a try. Menu looked great for breakfast as well. Here’s a link to the menu. https://nectarfarmkitchen.com/menu/

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
As another footnote to nothing, every time we go over to Kroger to shop I stop at Giuseppi's to use the Community Strong VIP card, we purchased last year, to get 25% off. Its good to March 31. We keep the freezer full of pizza, lasagna, meatball sandwiches, and meatballs and spaghetti.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
OKKO owner plans to open Hilton Head ramen, bubble tea spots | Hilton Head Island Packet

Slurp’s up: Ramen, bubble tea spots planned for vacant Bi-Lo space on Hilton Head Island

Anyone familiar with this chain? Any good? What does one eat at a ramen restaurant and what's bubble tea?

By Kate Hidalgo Bellows

February 21, 2021 05:00 AM

A JINYA Ramen location. Wei Zhu said he wants his location in Hilton Head to offer both outside and inside seating. Wei Zhu

Ramen, bubble tea lovers, rejoice: Two popular national franchises specializing in the delicacies may arrive in Hilton Head by December.

On Thursday, Wei Zhu, the owner of hibachi and sushi restaurant OKKO and several other Asian fusion restaurants in the area, announced plans to open locations of JINYA Ramen and Kung Fu Tea in Port Royal Plaza’s former Bi-Lo space. Neither chain currently has any South Carolina outposts, although Kung Fu Tea is slated to open Fort Mill and Greenville locations soon.

Zhu also plans to open an independent Cajun seafood restaurant, Angry Crab, in the space.

The restaurants would occupy 40% of the former Bi-Lo space; the other 60% was taken over by Planet Fitness after the grocery store went out of business in 2019.

Zhu noted he needs approval from the town to build out the space, which he hopes to receive by March so that construction can begin in April. He estimates the project would cost $1.6 million.

The plaza has received significant attention recently after a developer submitted, then withdrew, a request to rezone the old Sam’s Club building so it could be converted into storage units. The plan was strongly rebuked by town council members and community members, with some saying the 70,729-square-foot property would be better used for affordable housing.

But Zhu said he’s confident the restaurants will be received well on the island — he says that when tourists from major cities come to Hilton Head, they crave ramen and bubble tea, which are more widely available in metropolitan areas.

“We have a huge market for the tourists here,” Zhu said. “People from Atlanta, from Charlotte, from Florida — if you look at those cities, they all have ramen noodle and bubble tea.”

Angry Crab, he said, will be similar to his Bluffton restaurant Hook and Reel, which serves up seafood boils, oysters and po’ boys.

JINYA Ramen ladles classics, such as tonkotsu ramen — pork broth with pork belly and thin noodles — as well as multiple vegan and vegetarian options, including the spicy, creamy vegan ramen and the vegetable soup ramen. And Kung Fu Tea, with more than 300 locations nationwide, has gathered a cult following for its customizable bubble tea offerings and fruity flavors.

If the ramen and bubble tea combo is a success, he said he would like to open franchises in Charleston or Savannah.

“So far, we have almost 500 comments on Facebook,” Zhu said of the announcement. “I think people like it. When I look at that many reviews, I ‘m really shocked. I feel much more confident. I think ramen noodles would be popular here.”

A bowl of JINYA Ramen. Wei Zhu

Last edited: