• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Ocean Pointe - should I keep the exchange?

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a great exchange IMO to a 2 bedroom unit at Marriott's Ocean Pointe for the first week of June (the only time I requested). Taking my sister and her 9 yr granddaughter. I wanted Beach Place Towers and honestly didn't expect to get Ocean Pointe (got the exchange in 1 day, used Grand Chateau studio!). The unit code is ocean front, will they honor that??
Anyway, trying to decide what to do.
Heard beach chairs cost money there unlike at Oceana Palms. True?
What's there to do? Want to take them to Everglades one day. Also really wanted to do the water taxi in Fort Lauderdale, one of the reasons I wanted Beach Place Towers. Is the turtle Hospital is there over the bridge if I remember right?
My husband is saying I have such first world problems. Got a great exchange and I can't decide if I should keep it or not. Have until tomorrow to decide.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
No doubt I would keep it...there's a bunch of stuff to do around there. Remember Palm Beach Shores is well north of Lauderdale so it's a pretty good drive to the Everglades. The resort itself is fantastic - we stayed there at the end of June last year and had a blast.. Lots of activities for kids and there's a really nice state park a couple of miles north. Restaurants in walking distance, too, or if you want to drive 15-20 minutes you can go to the fancy places and if you're into shopping there are some ritzy stores around.

That's a gold season week, worth 3,675 DC points if you get oceanfront. All of the ocean view/side units have peek-a-boo views of the ocean unless you're on a low floor, so I'd take it regardless.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Far more at Ocean Pointe for a 9 year old than at BeachPlace. I'd keep it.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beachplace and Ocean Pointe are completely different in pretty much every way. I would consider Beachplace to be very urban whereas Ocean Pointe is in a more residential area.

Beachplace: very busy area with lots of high rises, lots of good/great dining options within walking distance, small foot print, no private beach, lots of good nigh life options, limited activities

Ocean Point: location essentially gives you a "private" beach feel, there are some restaurants within walking distance, but not great choices, huge foot print, much more to do on site, surrounded by residential area, nightlife is what you make of it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is the Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Juno if you are looking for a "turtle hospital". Only about a 20 minute drive from Ocean Pointe.

RJW

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a turtle rescue just north of Ocean Pointe in Juno Beach. Great place for kids and adults. Loggerhead Marinelife Center

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beachplace and Ocean Pointe are completely different in pretty much every way. I would consider Beachplace to be very urban whereas Ocean Pointe is in a more residential area.

Beachplace: very busy area with lots of high rises, lots of good/great dining options within walking distance, small foot print, no private beach, lots of good nigh life options, limited activities

Ocean Point: location essentially gives you a "private" beach feel, there are some restaurants within walking distance, but not great choices, huge foot print, much more to do on site, surrounded by residential area, nightlife is what you make of it.
I agree with the above post because your sister have a young child. There is so much to do at OP for a young child. The resort have an excellent program for children; plus their will be other children, that this child can interact with doing your vacation stay. IMHO.

Please enjoy your stay at OP, I feel everyone will enjoy their stay.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Ocean point over Christmas. Great resort.

We stayed in Peach Place 5 years ago and it did not appeal to us as much. The pool is very small and it has more of a hotel feel to it rather than a resort. Also parking costs Money.

We drove by when we were around the area in December and it looks like they retenanted the shopping center below the resort as it was really bad 5 years ago. My wife was not comfortable passing it alone to go to beach.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies. I will keep the exchange. We will have a great time!

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lion Country Safari is about an hour away from Ocean Pointe and is absolutely fabulous! Especially for kids!

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been 5+ years since we went to Lion Country Safari. Disclaimer aside it was a great place for younger kids. We have very fond memories of visiting it with my daughter who is now in her mid teens. They had (don't know if they still do) a raised platform where you could buy lettuce and feed the Giraffes and see them at eye level. Lots of fun animals to see on the drive and a nice, small water attractions area for kids to cool off.

--Jon

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a great exchange IMO to a 2 bedroom unit at Marriott's Ocean Pointe for the first week of June (the only time I requested). Taking my sister and her 9 yr granddaughter. I wanted Beach Place Towers and honestly didn't expect to get Ocean Pointe (got the exchange in 1 day, used Grand Chateau studio!). The unit code is ocean front, will they honor that??
What's there to do? Want to take them to Everglades one day. Also really wanted to do the water taxi in Fort Lauderdale, one of the reasons I wanted Beach Place Towers. Is the turtle Hospital is there over the bridge if I remember right?
My husband is saying I have such first world problems. Got a great exchange and I can't decide if I should keep it or not. Have until tomorrow to decide.

Agree with all. Keep it, much better than BPT with kids. No crossing a busy street to get to the beach and way more amenities at ocean pointe. Beachplace is great but it is a city feel where Ocean Pointe is a resort feel.

They typically honor the II unit code but of course, it is not guaranteed. If they do, you will get the lowest floor possible which is still good. Better than a a low floor oceanside unit :)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Ocean Pointe!

Beach Place Towers is the only resort in our lives from which we have purposely left early......it sux!
Worst Marriott resort in the system, imho.
Don't even get me started....never again would we even consider going, even if they paid US!

Ocean Pointe, on the other hand, was very enjoyable. Not a lot to do in the immediate area, but who cares?
Beautiful pools and beach, whereas BPT has unbelievably lousy views over actual ugly flat rooftops (no lie),
slow elevators that take 5 minutes minimum, people at the front desk who initially greeted me in Spanish,
and a narrow unesthetic beach only accessible by crossing a road.......And a parking deck in which you'll circle
for 15 minutes to find a hidden parking spot that "qualifies" you to park at the resort.
They had many orange cones in the winding deck, leading here, there, and beyond, plus posted signs that said, "no parking"

Not to mention the one and ONLY small swimming pool, located ridiculously out a glass door from a high floor,
and being a concrete-laden enclosure that doesn't even allow a view
of the ocean due to a 4-foot cement wall, and you then step over bodies to find a personal space
to lay your towel down to get some sun....

So by all means, RUN to Ocean Pointe!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
My kids loved Ocean Pointe, we haven't been to BPT but whenever I've looked at it it's never appealed. There's not much to do in the surrounding area at Ocean Pointe but the activities at the resort kept everyone entertained (apart from the guitarist who came poolside, awful and too loud). A few restaurants within walking distance but pretty average.

Would I return? Probably not but then it's unlikely we'll return to Florida at all. We've seen what we've wanted and it's a long journey from the UK just to sit around a pool for two weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A day late I know but you got OP OCEAN FRONT for the time you wanted for what's probably a better resort anyway for a large number of people, absolutely I'd keep it. I can't speak for OP but given my experience in general with MVC I suspect you'll get the OF assignment. At most resorts now you wouldn't even be able to move down if you wanted to.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pointe!

Not to mention the one and ONLY small swimming pool, located ridiculously out a glass door from a high floor,
and being a concrete-laden enclosure that doesn't even allow a view
of the ocean due to a 4-foot cement wall, and you then step over bodies to find a personal space
to lay your towel down to get some sun.... Finally??? No, it was just a dream.

So by all means, RUN to Ocean Pointe!!!
The pool also has limited chairs and is typically in the shade for most of the afternoon. We agree it is the worst MVC resort we have stayed (except for a couple that are no longer MVVC). I would only stay there in conjunction with a cruise.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
BPT is an awesome resort in a high real estate area in Fort Lauderdale surrounded by five stars hotels & restaurants. There are +'s and -'s for any resort. We prefer MPT for pre & post cruises. Your hotel / ts location is everything when you are cruising. BPT is gear toward travelers that are very active and liked to experience various fine dining restaurants IMHO.
We liked the BPT villas overlooking the canal with a high floor.

OP is gear toward families and children with outstanding beaches.

The worst Marriott’s timeshare was the one on HHI many, many years ago on Sea Pine Plantation where there was a huge skylight directly over the master bedroom bed. Can you imagine looking up at the moon from 8pm to 2 or 3am in the morning? The villas were all two story’s. This Marriott’s timeshare complex was sold because it did not and could not meet Marriott’s strict standards.

The location of this timeshare property was Excellent.

Last edited: