• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

(2021) Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines questions

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! What does it mean to check in at the location outside of Sea Pines? Thanks in advance.

You have to pay a $9 entry fee to pass thru either Sea Pines gate. Once you get past the gate you drive to the Resort and officially check in.

NO access to any Sea Pines properties unless you pay at the gate.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Your check in is at 32 Greenwood Road. It is the Seapines resort welcome center. You can go inside or drive through the drive through to get your pass. Call Monarch to get direct information
I think you are confusing things with your wording. You don't checkin for your stay at 32 Greenwood Road. You simply go there to pick up your Sea Pines pass to get you into Sea Pines without having to pay for a one day pass just to get to Monarch. You still go to the Monarch lobby to checkin for your stay.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've seen reports both ways. For us, we were not given the option of getting a pass prior to checking in but only once at Heritage. Fortunately we were staying at Grande Ocean checking in the next day so we were able to get a pass there. Others have reported being able to get a pass at the main Sea Pines gate area.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are confusing things with your wording. You don't checkin for your stay at 32 Greenwood Road. You simply go there to pick up your Sea Pines pass to get you into Sea Pines without having to pay for a one day pass just to get to Monarch. You still go to the Monarch lobby to checkin for your stay.
You are absolutely correct. You get your pass(es) there.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
A viewer commented on one of my Monarch videos indicating that the property no longer provides a pass for pickup the day of checkin. Not sure if this applies to all types of stays.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A viewer commented on one of my Monarch videos indicating that the property no longer provides a pass for pickup the day of checkin. Not sure if this applies to all types of stays.
I know Heritage didn't a few years ago.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I know Heritage didn't a few years ago.
Someone else (or perhaps the same person under a different Google name) also commented specifically about Heritage;
1688128392732.png

Attachments

• 1688128266568.png
    1688128266568.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 1

NJVacation61

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Grand Ocean in May so we had the Sea Pines pass but we did go to dinner one night at Coast which is right next door to Monarch and I heard the hostess tell one of the customers they reimburse their guests for the $9 Sea Pines entrance fee (if they are charged) with a credit on the check. Hard to believe Marriott can't do the same for their guests.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone else (or perhaps the same person under a different Google name) also commented specifically about Heritage;
View attachment 78594
As I've reported before, we had a group staying at MGO starting that day for 1 unit and the following day for many additional units. I contacted MGO and they advanced me one Sea Pines Pass. At the time, I spoke to Heritage directly and they did state I'd have to pay for the 1 day. When they had the building by Sea Pines Circle which they used for check in for some units at the time, they gave them out there for the applicable resort but that option is long gone. I'm a little surprised MGO gives them out since they are outside the gate but I am happy they do. Also, this is one of those types of issues that is likely to vary widely from one resort to another, even one person to another when you talk to a resort. Personally I see no reason they can't figure out how to provide them without having to pay for Monarch, Heritage and Harbour Club.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We were at Grand Ocean in May so we had the Sea Pines pass but we did go to dinner one night at Coast which is right next door to Monarch and I heard the hostess tell one of the customers they reimburse their guests for the $9 Sea Pines entrance fee (if they are charged) with a credit on the check. Hard to believe Marriott can't do the same for their guests.
I suspect it has to do with whatever deal the property has with Sea Pines. Perhaps they were having to pay Sea Pines some amount of money out of the resort budget for those one day passes and as a means to keep fees down they dropped that first day pass.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for the tip. We will be staying at Monarch next April. The reviews I saw on Coast looked pretty good, so we may go to dinner there the first night and take advantage of the credit they provide. The location is very convenient too.

Best regards.

Mike

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Simple solution. Park for free at Coligny Circle. Take your luggage and walk along the beach until you get to the Monarch. Check in and you will get your pass. I never spend other peoples money but between flight, eating out and buying food for unit, never gave the $9 any thought. Raise your hand if you give away or throw out at least 4 times this in cost in untouched food at vacations end. Just saying.....

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Official Sea Pines policy regarding Monarch visitors:
I called one of the front desk managers at Monarch (a former front desk guy at Grande Ocean, btw, whom I've known for several years),
and he told me the "Sea Pines Gate policy" for those staying at Monarch specifically.
(Other Marriott properties inside Sea Pines may have the same policy, but I did not ask that so I don't know. I would assume so however. )
There are TWO instances whereby you can avoid the initial Sea Pines entrance fee of $9, and those are:
If you are staying at Monarch (1) using Destination Points or (2) by virtue of your Monarch Ownership Week(s). You simply
drop by 32 Greenwood Drive to obtain a Sea Pines gate pass for your vehicle which allows free entry, initially and during your stay. Staying by any other means disqualifies the free initial entry, but you still get free entry during the stay.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I suspect it has to do with whatever deal the property has with Sea Pines. Perhaps they were having to pay Sea Pines some amount of money out of the resort budget for those one day passes and as a means to keep fees down they dropped that first day pass.
Is NJVacation61 talking about Coast reimbursing patrons the Sea Pines entrance fee? It's fairly common for many restaurants in Sea Pines to do that for any diners who aren't staying in Sea Pines.

As for Grande Ocean guests having free access to Sea Pines via the free passes, I think that was something negotiated when GO was built as an offset to GO having to provide perpetual Day Pass access to several abutting private homes.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Official Sea Pines policy regarding Monarch visitors:
I called one of the front desk managers at Monarch (a former front desk guy at Grande Ocean, btw, whom I've known for several years),
and he told me the "Sea Pines Gate policy" for those staying at Monarch specifically.
(Other Marriott properties inside Sea Pines may have the same policy, but I did not ask that so I don't know. I would assume so however. )
There are TWO instances whereby you can avoid the initial Sea Pines entrance fee of $9, and those are:
If you are staying at Monarch (1) using Destination Points or (2) by virtue of your Monarch Ownership Week(s). You simply
drop by 32 Greenwood Drive to obtain a Sea Pines gate pass for your vehicle which allows free entry, initially and during your stay. Staying by any other means disqualifies the free initial entry, but you still get free entry during the stay.
Why would they allow it for timeshare stays booked using Weeks and Points but not for cash stays booked by timeshare owners (or any other Monarch guests?) If you're lodging within Sea Pines, you shouldn't have to pay any entrance fees.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would they allow it for timeshare stays booked using Weeks and Points but not for cash stays booked by timeshare owners (or any other Monarch guests?) If you're lodging within Sea Pines, you shouldn't have to pay any entrance fees.

Not sure, but it may have to do with the owners (i.e. weeks or points) paying Real Estate Taxes as part of their maintenance fees each year.

Those who own real estate in Sea Pines may not have to pay the $9 entry fee. Just a thought.....

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure, but it may have to do with the owners (i.e. weeks or points) paying Real Estate Taxes as part of their maintenance fees each year.

Those who own real estate in Sea Pines may not have to pay the $9 entry fee. Just a thought.....

Could be. I wonder how it works overall for all the other hotel lodging within Sea Pines, if all their guests are required to pay the initial Sea Pines entrance fee?

I think what might be in play is that the building at Greenwood Circle is MVCI offices, so maybe they don't have access to verify cash or Bonvoy guests at Monarch or Grande Ocean? Whatever the case, if I were staying in either one I'd keep calling until somebody figured out how to reimburse any Sea Pines entrance fees charged to me. (I just did a phantom cash booking at Monarch via marriott.com and there was nothing in the process to say that Sea Pines access fees will be charged.)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Good point and I have no clue, but I tend to agree.....I've always thought that should be the case......... probably some sort of compromise with Sea Pines Corp.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We were at Grand Ocean in May so we had the Sea Pines pass but we did go to dinner one night at Coast which is right next door to Monarch and I heard the hostess tell one of the customers they reimburse their guests for the $9 Sea Pines entrance fee (if they are charged) with a credit on the check.
Hard to believe Marriott can't do the same for their guests.

I can understand a restaurant getting that perk---it allows more people to patronize the dining establishments, perhaps entertaining island visitors
from several miles away and vastly increasing their bottom line. Those that stay inside Sea Pines are already going to be staying there regardless,
and it's doubtful they would make a decision to stay away over the $9 fee...but a diner surely might stay away.