• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club-Timeshares sales Presentation

EllieL

Reaction score
Hi all-I'm new to this blog! Being a Marriott Bonvoy member, I recently rec'd an invite to stay at theMarriott's Ko Olina Beach Club at what looks like a really reduced price, but it is necessary for me (and any adult staying with me, my hubby) to attend a mandatory 90-minute sales presentation (assuming its for a push to buy a timeshare?).
A couple of questions:
1. Any advice fr anyone that sat thru' this 90 minute presentation at this resort/club? Seemingly worth it to spend 90 minutes of my time, but am not really interested in being pushed into purchasing a timeshare.
2. I've heard about timeshares and the hard sale - not looking forward to this, but again, willing to sit thru' 90 minutes but wouldn't want to sit more than that time.
3. Anything I should prepare myself/hubby for during this pitch? If I'm able to succeed in not purchasing a timeshare, I hope the resort doesn't make me feel like a stepchild hotel guest.
4. If you've been, it looks really nice; did you like it? And, if you are an owner, is it worth to you? We go to Hawaii at least twice a year and could be convinced :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome.

My first piece of advice in this situation would be to not do it, it's often longer than 90 minutes and can be hard sell. Many salespeople will give you half truths, others just simply lie. If you go promise to not buy anything until you come back here and check it out which means you won't buy at all retail once you get the facts. Don't sign no matter what. The resort won't make you feel second class but the sales team likely will or worse.

It's a great resort, been there several times. You may want to spend a FEW MONTHS investigating options if you want to get to HI though often buying elsewhere and trading in is the best option for many people. Once you investigate you'll have a better feel of what's best for you and your situation. Good luck.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I generally agree with Dean, but the salespeople will only see you during your sales pitch. They won't be around the pool, they will be golfing enjoying the money they made (mostly) from suckers. Kidding aside, Marriott sales are relatively tame compared to most other brands. Just know that you can buy exactly the same thing for almost half the price, but many would stil consider this too much (they sell points in a club.) Don't bother arguing with them or believing anything they say. A couple tips to get you out quickly (and have some fun):

1. When they ask you why you are there, tell them you are required to be but otherwise have no money and are actually now going to get divorced (after buying package) so can't commit to anything jointly.

or

2. Tell them your husband is going to lose his job, you have lots of debt and planning on filing BK so obviously can't buy anything.

or

3. Tell them you are feeling a bit ill and can't stay beyond 90 minutes, then set your phone timer in front of them.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
If you are going to go, understand that you have a limited number of days (5 for Hawaii maybe?) to rescind the purchase. So if you have a weak moment and "buy" you can rescind - but you need to be on your toes with the rescission period. Ko Olina is beautiful so you may have a weak moment. Before you travel, you can look at resale Ko Olina weeks available for sale on Redweek so that you can understand the $$ difference between purchasing a week resale vs buying what they will be selling - points. Those can also be bought resale at a good discount, so there is no need to plunk down a lot of cash on the spot.

The pitch will be good. You will be tempted. They have heard every excuse in the book and they will not be fazed by any excuse. If you want to say no (and I believe that you should - mostly because even though they will make the purchase seem urgent, it is not anything that needs to be done urgently) you are going to have to be prepared to be a bit uncomfortable and say no repeatedly, even if they try to guilt you into the purchase. But just remember, they invited you and you don't own them anything except 90 minutes of your precious vacation time.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the Ko Olina is a beautiful Resort. Take a look at the resale market now so you'll have an excellent understanding of how much premium you'd be paying if you decide to purchase from the developer....

Resale weeks are always the best bang for the buck. Granted, not as convenient (and flexible) as points but a great buy none the less.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
You should also know that they are masters at keeping people from walking away. They will give you a price and will then add a lot of "extras/gifts" that are valid "only today". Those gifts can be tempting (e.g., 250,000 Bonvoy points) but you will still be better off walking away even if their threat that the gifts will be gone was true - and it's usually not...

They will also tell you that you should sign right then and there because you can always rescind. I believe Hawaii allows 7 days to rescind (varies by state - see link) but you really don't want to be wasting your vacation doing research, drafting letters, and running to Fedex and post offices, or going back to drop it off with the salespeople. I've been there and it's not fun...

Make sure to look at the link below before you go. It shows Marriott Club Points (aka Abound) for sale on the resale market for $2-$4 per point. If you buy them on the resale market and pay Marriott another $3/point then it's the same product they will try to sell you. They will offer to sell you those points for $16-$17/point but on that very day you will be there, the price might be closer to $13/point. They may tell you it's a special promotion that ends that next week. If you tell them, you saw the same points for sale for $3/point on Redweek.com (and have no problem paying the extra $3 "fee" and closing costs) you may be out of there sooner rather than later :) . Remember that if you buy from them for $13/point, the product is really only worth around $3 if you try to sell it 7 days later - that's another reason you can cite in your objections.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily buy resale points either - you can also buy resale deeded weeks. Lots to research later on...

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I will add to my prior comment: If as an adult you don't have the ability to easily say no to someone asking you to pay them tens of thousands of dollars FOR ANYTHING (other than immediately life saving needs), you really should stay home and not venture out. Yes this sounds harsh, but it is so sad how so many make so many excuses about being completely irrational. The same people that get "scammed" into a timeshare purchase wouldn't buy a shirt, skirt or hairdryer without a lot of research and coupons. And yes, I understand there are certain people that are naturally gullible, starting to lose their faculties, or challenged, etc. Not talking about them.

Now if money doesn't mean anything to you, disregard the above snarky comment.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will add to my prior comment: If as an adult you don't have the ability to easily say no to someone asking you to pay them tens of thousands of dollars FOR ANYTHING (other than immediately life saving needs), you really should stay home and not venture out. Yes this sounds harsh, but it is so sad how so many make so many excuses about being completely irrational. The same people that get "scammed" into a timeshare purchase wouldn't buy a shirt, skirt or hairdryer without a lot of research and coupons. And yes, I understand there are certain people that are naturally gullible, starting to lose their faculties, or challenged, etc. Not talking about them.

You need to work on your ideas regarding sales defensive techniques above and maybe add to it. The divorce idea is brilliant and I think your post should be a sticky.
I'm no expert. I went to Orlando to buy a timeshare, probably a Marriott, and that's what I did. Sometime later I discovered TUG. Ouch. The OP ateast came here first and is way ahead of where I was. Marriott sales used to be low key, somewhat helpful but has seemed to devolve into more of a Westgate experience (not at that poi T quite yet but getting there). Thanks for your post. I'll share it with our daughter who we just gave our Maui and KoOlkna weeks to. We just can't handle that flight anymore, but we bought there on our first trip after being dazzled by the resorts, Hawaii, the whole enchantment thing. It's truly great but we seriously overpaid.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I generally agree with Dean, but the salespeople will only see you during your sales pitch. They won't be around the pool, they will be golfing enjoying the money they made (mostly) from suckers. Kidding aside, Marriott sales are relatively tame compared to most other brands. Just know that you can buy exactly the same thing for almost half the price, but many would stil consider this too much (they sell points in a club.) Don't bother arguing with them or believing anything they say. A couple tips to get you out quickly (and have some fun):

1. When they ask you why you are there, tell them you are required to be but otherwise have no money and are actually now going to get divorced (after buying package) so can't commit to anything jointly.

or

2. Tell them your husband is going to lose his job, you have lots of debt and planning on filing BK so obviously can't buy anything.

or

3. Tell them you are feeling a bit ill and can't stay beyond 90 minutes, then set your phone timer in front of them.
No disagreement about the sales portion being of limited scope but I've seen many people who have taken such an offer and wished they didn't. They seem to be more aggressive for the promo tours even than otherwise. IMO it's not worth it for someone fairly new to timesharing.

They really won't care about divorce or job loss as long as they get you to sign. I haven't seen the wording of the offer lately but I wonder if it gives wording that would prevent simply walking out at 90 minutes. For this type of offer both are required to attend but a couple of times when I've checked in to timeshares where I didn't want to do a tour, I told them I had my mistress with me and not to tell my wife. They don't know she's one and the same. My SIL had the best line when they toured ?Wyndham in HI on their honeymoon. He asked them why he'd buy when he could mooch off his FIL.

You may have seen me say in the past that I'm always amazed how otherwise bright people will lay down tens of thousands of $$$ based on the word of a salesperson for a timeshare but explore other options to the end of the earth.

I'm sure it was tongue in cheek but If money doesn't mean anything, why fool with timeshares?

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
The one presentation we did, I was just honest. When we showed up I told them I was only there for the discount offered and there was zero chance I'd buy anything today. And, that we scheduled a spa appointment at 100 minutes from the start followed by a lunch res, so we had to end precisely at 90 minutes. They were no pushy at all and actually jumped to the encore package pretty early and let my wife leave early. I even talked them into keeping the encore package offer open until our trip ended so I could think about it, which I eventually called them and booked the encore.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a marketing program called "encore" for a stay with a few (4-5 days) requiring a sales presentation. If you aren't familiar with timeshares, you can learn a lot about the program, but you need to be able to say no. Most all of us here are owners of either weeks or points, which are the basis of Marriott's timeshare offer. The presentation is mandatory, but your purchase is not. Even if you feel that you like the resort (and you will) you should not jump to any kind of purchase at this meeting. There is an enormous amount of information on this website (TUG) about resales, renting, trading (exchanging) and the issues with all of that. Since you have to attend, you can manage the time (keep it to less than 90 minutes) and ask any questions you may have. The encore offers do provide the opportunity to visit the resort without actully owning in the system, or paying retail rental rates.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, buying a timeshare was a fantastic decision on our part. Our family has enjoyed locations and experiences that most people only dream about.

With that said,
- Marriott presentations used to be low key and classy. We vowed after our first presentation, "if we ever do buy a timeshare, it will be with Marriott." ...and we did. However, they are no longer as low key and classy in general terms. In recent years we've had some decent interactions and we've also had some interactions with sales people who were no different than a sitcom used car salesman.
- They used to be 90-minutes, but have consistently hovered around two hours for the past three or four years.
- We keep getting "invited" to hear about "the latest changes and improvements." I can tolerate them, my wife can't. I figure the 300-400 vacation points can stretch into five or six days at a beach resort in the off-season... so I figure I'm trading two hours of time to gain five days. Again, my wife is less tolerant than I am.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hi all-I'm new to this blog! Being a Marriott Bonvoy member, I recently rec'd an invite to stay at theMarriott's Ko Olina Beach Club at what looks like a really reduced price, but it is necessary for me (and any adult staying with me, my hubby) to attend a mandatory 90-minute sales presentation (assuming its for a push to buy a timeshare?).
A couple of questions:
1. Any advice fr anyone that sat thru' this 90 minute presentation at this resort/club? Seemingly worth it to spend 90 minutes of my time, but am not really interested in being pushed into purchasing a timeshare.
2. I've heard about timeshares and the hard sale - not looking forward to this, but again, willing to sit thru' 90 minutes but wouldn't want to sit more than that time.
3. Anything I should prepare myself/hubby for during this pitch? If I'm able to succeed in not purchasing a timeshare, I hope the resort doesn't make me feel like a stepchild hotel guest.
4. If you've been, it looks really nice; did you like it? And, if you are an owner, is it worth to you? We go to Hawaii at least twice a year and could be convinced :).
Sounds like you have to go since you took one of the deals for a reduced rate. Don’t miss the presentation or they will charge you full price for the room.

Sit through the sales pitch, they will sell you on all of the wonders of ownership. They will show you every resort they own. You’ll tell them you like bonvoy points and like hotels, they will show you that you can convert your ownership to bonvoy points. What they won’t tell you is it’s a HORRIFIC conversion rate. So laugh that one off. Then tell them “look, I went on timeshare user group. There is no way in hell am I buying today”.

You can then tell them that if you buy, you’re buying resale. They will lie and say resale points aren’t treated the same but that’s a lie. They are treated the same since you’re paying $3.00 per point fee on top of the resale price. The combined resale and “junk” fee will still be around 50% less that what you’ll pay through Marriott.

Thank them for their time and leave without signing a damn thing! They will then sell you on an encore package. It’s basically another package to return to the resort at a reduced rate and some bonvoy points. You’ll have to sit through another presentation but it may be worth it.

Good luck.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
It's really not a big deal. I have sat through it many times and never purchased. Just be polite, learn about the timeshare system, and say no. It's not hard. I have bought resale weeks on Ebay and Redweek while staying at KOBC but never bought a developer week/points. :) Love Ko Olina!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Actually our first timeshare experience was at Ko'Olina, having won a week at a fundraising auction. I opted for a presentation to learn more about the program, but a quick search beforehand made us aware of a resale market. I made it clear to the salesman that we didn't know much about the program so were interested in learning, but I would not be purchasing anything today before doing my due diligence. I had to repeat it a few times that I absolutely would not be buying anything while there, but would like his contact info. for after I did my research. He tried, answered all our questions and was a wealth of info. actually, I came home and found Tug ad ultimately bought a resale unit a few months later after feeling comfortable with the system and finding what I wanted at a good price.
As a newcomer being firm that you will not buy then but may contact him/her later after you decide on what you want is another approach, and we found enabled us to kind of drive the conversation, and get our questions answered. You're a giant step ahead of us, since we were unaware of the whole program and hadn't found Tug yet, which I dubbed Timesharing 101 :LOL:. Anyway, I did find that the presentation helped me realize how much I didn't know and what questions needed to be asked/answered before we bought, so it was actually very helpful.
As for being worried that your trip would be marred by saying no- absolutely not. The salesman did follow up with an email a week or two later but we politely declined. We had such an amazing time that we were anxious to buy. Would have chosen there if we didn't live on the East coast, so opted for Aruba instead.
We didn't need an excuse to leave, but noting the time when you got there and saying you'll definitely need to leave 90 minutes later because you have a dinner reservation or tour planned, or were meeting a friend who happened to be there at about an hour and three-quarters after your appointment time is a brilliant idea in case you have a pushy salesperson.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's really not a big deal. I have sat through it many times and never purchased. Just be polite, learn about the timeshare system, and say no. It's not hard. I have bought resale weeks on Ebay and Redweek while staying at KOBC but never bought a developer week/points. :) Love Ko Olina!
It's not a big deal for many of us but it is for some. Some salespeople can put the CON in con-artist. We've even seen long term members on TUG convinced to buy when they shouldn't have. IMO the risk is just too great for someone who's completely new to timesharing.

EllieL

Reaction score
Good morning all! What wonderful and, yet, overwhelming advice. With all your advice, I will be more diligent and review before accepting. I had no idea about resales and such. Thank you all for your advice!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning all! What wonderful and, yet, overwhelming advice. With all your advice, I will be more diligent and review before accepting. I had no idea about resales and such. Thank you all for your advice!
Join TUG, it very likely just saved you tens of thousands of $$$ and is well worth the $15. Now you can investigate whether timesharing is indeed a good choice for you and your family and if so, whether MVC is the best choice.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
That is not the response many of us would have hoped to see after all the advice. Do not be diligent and review before accepting. Just do not accept. No person should buy developer on their initial presentation (if ever.)

Your plan needs to be to not buy for any reason. Then come back, tell us what they told you and almost certainly we will point out the numerous lies and mistruths you were told.

You can always buy later, probably a better deal, if for some reason you are compelled to do so.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
That is not the response many of us would have hoped to see after all the advice. Do not be diligent and review before accepting. Just do not accept. No person should buy developer on their initial presentation (if ever.)

Your plan needs to be to not buy for any reason. Then come back, tell us what they told you and almost certainly we will point out the numerous lies and mistruths you were told.

You can always buy later, probably a better deal, if for some reason you are compelled to do so.
I think that they meant accepting the offer of the discounted stay that has the presentation requirement. But your advice is spot on and should drive home the need to start the process from the perspective of not buying anything immediately.

TimesCalif

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Resale weeks are always the best bang for the buck. Granted, not as convenient (and flexible) as points but a great buy none the less.
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong resale sites - but I'm not seeing much in the way of deeded weeks for Ko' Olina other than pricey Christmas weeks (which we cannot afford lol). If you purchase, for example, a one week, even year, ocean view - do you still have sufficient priority to book what you'd like (assuming a little flexible). We have Disney Vacation Club and book our Disney Home Resorts pretty easily if we do it right at the X month mark (11 months at DVC). Is it similar if we mostly want Ko' Olina or should we still only do a fixed week?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what site you are looking at or what you believe is pricey. Your best selection may be at the website below:

www.Redweek.com

All Ko Olina weeks are floating other than weeks 51 & 52. Every other Year (EOY) resale weeks appear to start around $4,000.

TimesCalif

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
All Ko Olina weeks are floating other than weeks 51 & 52. Every other Year (EOY) resale weeks appear to start around $4,000.
Thanks! I don't know how I missed that detail ;) Still learning.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Caveat to these "Encore" Marriott programs invitations... they are so hard to book! I purchased one while in Hawaii some years ago and it was criminally difficult to get anything booked, mostly because you had to phone in vs see inventory online. Also, the person on the other end of the line never tried to find alternate days, they just said "dates not available"...

YMMV (your mileage may vary), but alas... just wanted to add that I personally would not purchase another Encore offer myself despite loving Marriott timeshares...

dj_drf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caveat to these "Encore" Marriott programs invitations... they are so hard to book! I purchased one while in Hawaii some years ago and it was criminally difficult to get anything booked, mostly because you had to phone in vs see inventory online. Also, the person on the other end of the line never tried to find alternate days, they just said "dates not available"...

YMMV (your mileage may vary), but alas... just wanted to add that I personally would not purchase another Encore offer myself despite loving Marriott timeshares...
I'm told they release encore inventory at the 10 month window. So, if you can plan that far ahead, that's your best chance of getting in. I was successful in booking a KoOlina Encore for my desired dates next January by calling in that timeframe. It does seem like the actual release floated a bit before or after the actual 10-month window, so try calling daily beginning a week ahead to hit as soon as they open the inventory.