• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I and II? Has anyone visited the area in August? Just way too hot to go there then?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
The primary difference is the size of the units and the set up in the smaller bedroom.

Villas 1 are larger and the second bedroom has two double sized beds. It is the older section of the resort, but all of the units have been updated inside. They have also painted the outside of about half of them. Villas I also provides free access to the hotel facilities as of Jan. 1, whereas Villas II does not.

Villas II is a little smaller and the second bedroom has one bed and a hide-a-bed couch. They are in the process of updating those units, but I am not sure how far along they are.

Either way, you have access to all of the pools on the resort grounds.

August would be very hot. It is a dry heat as they say, but only you know if you could be comfortable outside that time of year. The pool would definitely feel great. Good luck with your decision.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
Villas I also provides free access to the hotel facilities as of Jan. 1, whereas Villas II does not.

Under the new and expensive agreement, DSV I only has access to the JW facilities on Monday thru Friday. A fee is charged for Saturday and Sunday access.

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Sheraton, Westin
I was at DSV II over Labor Day in 2011 and there were a couple issues. First, there were a lot of bugs. A few inside the unit, but tons outside around the doorway. In Marriott's defense, they moved us right away when we called to complain. Second issue is the heat. We went to the grocery store and I forgot my phone in the car for under an hour. When I returned, my iPhone had an error message I had never seen; the phone was too hot and needed time to cool down. Pools are great and feel amazing in the heat. I'd request a view of the golf course if possible.

Cheers,
James

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for sharing that information. I hadn't looked into that closely since we weren't eligible to use it in late December without paying for the entire time. Good to know for future reference.

Under the new and expensive agreement, DSV I only has access to the JW facilities on Monday thru Friday. A fee is charged for Saturday and Sunday access.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have young children in your group, the layout of the two different units is something to think about. We have stayed in the DSV II units many times with the kids, since they were babies! The guest bedroom (where they sleep) is directly connected to the master suite with two adjoining doors. In DSV I, the two rooms are seperated by a foyer, something I wouldn't want to deal with if there are young children in my group. Even if you are just having friends drop in to use the extra bedroom, consider who it is. With DSV II, you have a king bed and a sofa bed couch. In DSV I, you have two queen beds and no couch. Both units in general are very nice and DSV II is closer to the large pool complex, playground and activity center, so with kids that plays a big influence as well.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy the resort as much as we do!
Janna

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Both units in general are very nice and DSV II is closer to the large pool complex, playground and activity center, so with kids that plays a big influence as well.
We have kids, so I really appreciate knowing that DSV II is closer to the pool, playground, and activity center.

Based on this info, we have secured an exchange into DSV II (1BR unit) in early October. Hoping that the temperatures won't be too hot at that time of year.

Given that this is our first stay at DSV II, any room recommendations appreciated.

Cmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have kids, so I really appreciate knowing that DSV II is closer to the pool, playground, and activity center.

Based on this info, we have secured an exchange into DSV II (1BR unit) in early October. Hoping that the temperatures won't be too hot at that time of year.

Given that this is our first stay at DSV II, any room recommendations appreciated.

We spend a lot of time in the Palm Springs area, just bought a vacation home there last winter as a result of all of our trips out their via our DSII units. October and November are generally quite nice, almost as nice as the Spring. Being early October you may be a little early, so at worst it will be a lotter hotter than you like. Weather in the Coachella Valley is almost always Sunny, sometimes pretty windy.

Hopefully you will have a good week, if you are golfers should check to see when the overseeding will be happening as courses close for a few weeks because of that. DS usually closes one, then the other when the first is re-opened.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

I am an owner at DSV 2 and just completed my 4th or 5th trip there.

Some suggestions on rooms:

DSV2 actually has 2 sections. The main section and Jasmine court. Jasmine court is accessed through a separate entrance from the South (on Hovley). Many of the units have a nice view of the mountains. Some people like it because it is secluded and quiet. Others don't like it because it is secluded and separated from the rest of the complex including the activity center. When you check in be aware that they might assign you to Jasmine court. If you don't want that, you need to speak up. Typically Marriott will contact you a few weeks in advance to ask you if you have any preferences.

I would recommend getting a unit that is fairly close to the Palmeras pool. There are actually 4 pools and 3 hot tubs there IIRC. There is also a cantina at the Palmeras. One pool at Palmeras is especially for kids (shallower). Be aware that there is also a quiet (adult) pool by Cook St. and kids probably can't have a lot of fun there.

I would recommend asking for a bottom floor unit. That way your children can play closeby while you watch them from your patio. Also, there aren't a bunch of stairs to climb as the kids go in and out. Families really seem to prefer the first floor rooms.

BTW, they rent bicycles at the Shade activity center. They also have movies (with perhaps popcorn) that is played during the day and some evenings.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I am an owner at DSV 2 and just completed my 4th or 5th trip there.

Some suggestions on rooms:

DSV2 actually has 2 sections. The main section and Jasmine court. Jasmine court is accessed through a separate entrance from the South (on Hovley). Many of the units have a nice view of the mountains. Some people like it because it is secluded and quiet. Others don't like it because it is secluded and separated from the rest of the complex including the activity center. When you check in be aware that they might assign you to Jasmine court. If you don't want that, you need to speak up. Typically Marriott will contact you a few weeks in advance to ask you if you have any preferences.

I would recommend getting a unit that is fairly close to the Palmeras pool. There are actually 4 pools and 3 hot tubs there IIRC. There is also a cantina at the Palmeras. One pool at Palmeras is especially for kids (shallower). Be aware that there is also a quiet (adult) pool by Cook St. and kids probably can't have a lot of fun there.

I would recommend asking for a bottom floor unit. That way your children can play closeby while you watch them from your patio. Also, there aren't a bunch of stairs to climb as the kids go in and out. Families really seem to prefer the first floor rooms.

BTW, they rent bicycles at the Shade activity center. They also have movies (with perhaps popcorn) that is played during the day and some evenings.
Excellent!

Exactly the kind of recommendations I was seeking.

Thanks very much.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
How big are the DSVII studios? We just purchased an XYZ 2-for-1 studio there for friends who have 2 middle-school aged children. Is it pretty tight for a family of four?

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
How big are the DSVII studios? We just purchased an XYZ 2-for-1 studio there for friends who have 2 middle-school aged children. Is it pretty tight for a family of four?

Size wise probably comparable to an average size hotel room.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a bottom floor unit, ask for 2175-76. If you want the top floor, then 2275-76. These are in building 837 which is directly across from the pool. You also won't have to worry about getting hit by errant golf shots, which was a problem we faced in building 753.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Efficiencies are pretty small

The efficiencies are pretty small. Like OP said, they are like hotel rooms (but with a balcony w. a table and 2 chairs). The newly refurbished units have a more functional kitchenette than they previously did. The original units have really deep bath tubs that can be hard for some people (primarily older folks and those with flexibility issues) to get out of.

I think that in the kitchenette that there were 2 sets of most items (2 cups, tall glasses, short glasses, plates, etc.). So for a family of 4, there won't be a full set of eating ware for everyone. There might have been 4 sets of flatware but I'm not sure. So your friends may want to bring extra plates, etc.

The efficiencies don't have dishwashers or laundry facilities in the unit. But they do have free washers and dryers at several of the pools.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The efficiencies are pretty small. Like OP said, they are like hotel rooms (but with a balcony w. a table and 2 chairs). The newly refurbished units have a more functional kitchenette than they previously did. The original units have really deep bath tubs that can be hard for some people (primarily older folks and those with flexibility issues) to get out of.

I think that in the kitchenette that there were 2 sets of most items (2 cups, tall glasses, short glasses, plates, etc.). So for a family of 4, there won't be a full set of eating ware for everyone. There might have been 4 sets of flatware but I'm not sure. So your friends may want to bring extra plates, etc.

The efficiencies don't have dishwashers or laundry facilities in the unit. But they do have free washers and dryers at several of the pools.

Oh wow, that is a crunch. Good thing my friends only know hotel traveling...

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Just learned another interesting thing about DSV and DSV2 ...

Apparently Thursday is also a check-in day at these two locations (in addition to Friday, Saturday, Sunday). I have not encountered this at any other Marriott timeshare.

For our upcoming visit, Thursday turned out to be the best for us. Nice bonus.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Just learned another interesting thing about DSV and DSV2 ...

Apparently Thursday is also a check-in day at these two locations (in addition to Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday). I have not encountered this at any other Marriott timeshare.

For our upcoming visit, Thursday turned out to be the best for us. Nice bonus.

Many of the Florida resorts have Thursday check-ins, Aruba Surf Club added Thursdays sometime in the last few years, maybe a couple others ... there aren't many if you're talking only about Weeks stays. But now with the DC and Points stays, it's possible for any day to be a check-in day.