• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriotts Custom House for children?

sea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're attending a family wedding in Connecticut in Aug. '06 and would like to do some sightseeing in Boston and Cape Cod while we're there. The Custom House would certainly provide lovely accomodations while we're in Boston, but I'm wondering if it is suitable for families with children. We'd be using it as a home base for seeing Boston, and possibly for day trips to the Cape.
I'd appreciate feedback on this, and whether it makes sense, or whether we should be looking at accomodations on Cape Cod instead. Our children are ages 5, 7 and 9.
What should we estimate as our driving time to get from downtown Boston out to Cape Cod (I think lower and upper are the terms I've seen used to describe it?)
Many Thanks for your comments.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Custom House and have been going each year for the last 5 with our now 5 year old granddaughter and her parents. Boston is a wonderful place to be whatever age you are. There is lots for everyone to do and see. However, if you have not already secured an exchange into Custom House I would not count on getting one for this summer....Custom House is small, unit is one bedroom with a sofa sleeper in the living room. However, when you pull the sleeper out to make a bed it is difficult to get around in the room. We usually get two units..one for us and one for son and his family. The distance between Boston and the Cape, whether upper or lower isn't far but depending on the traffic it could be hours to get from Boston to anywhere on the Cape. Good luck no matter where you stay but do plan a trip to Custom House sometime...you won't regret it.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
CH location is great and there is so much to do in Boston for families. I agree with the other poster on room size.

IMHO I would stay on the Cape for an overnight or two if you want to experience lower and upper Cape. I would strongly recommend doing this midweek only. Summer weekend Cape traffic is a nightmare and can take many hours of sitting still then add kids to the mix. There are only two bridges to access the Cape.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Custom House is a very distinctive historic building. Anytime you watch a program that often has an aerial view of the city, like Boston Legal (love Capt Kirk in this show), Custom House proudly stands right out there! And to think Marriott bought it for unpaid taxes!

Brian

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, when we purchased our week we were told Marriott holds a lease on the building that expires in X years...I don't believe they own it outright.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
CH is leased somewhere between 50-80 years due to historic heritage. I forgot the exact timeframe.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Yes...I believe you are right. But if it's 80 years from now I won't have to worry much about it (if I owned there). :)

Brian

sea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.
Does anyone know the square footage of one of these units? The resort said they're willing to provide a rollaway bed for one of our children, but I'm wondering just how tight this would be.
Also....are there any ferries from Boston to Cape Cod area?

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each unit is a different size depending on the location of the unit. This is not a purpose built timeshare but an actual building that was used for paying customs and tariffs in the colonial days, therefore, when it was renovated and made into timeshares each unit was designed for the space it was allowed. Some units are quite spacious and others small...but they are all only 1 bedroom with a pullout sofa in the livingroom. I don't know about ferry service to the cape.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Our unit was tight with the sofa bed pulled out. No way would a rollaway have fit. I'd use a sleeping bag first. Maybe put all three of them in sleeping bags and leave the sofa intact.

The resort had several activities that my 12yo enjoyed. Fanuel Hall (sp?) right next door always had things going on such as magicians.

We had an interesting experience when we went into a pub to eat lunch and they made it a point to come over and tell us children usually didn't eat there. Considering the early hour, I never even considered that. They did agree to feed us, but we still felt unwelcome.

My kids LOVED the Science Museum. We went in the afternoon. I wish we had gone first thing in the morning as they would have gladly spent the whole day there. We bought Boston Citypasses on Skyauction, which included tickets to several museums and attractions. Definitely a good purchase.

Sheila