• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's 24-day Internal Exchange Priority Revisited

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A Tugger sent me the following Private Message this afternoon (modified slightly):
I have a question on the II 21 days Marriott Owner Preference. I want to make sure I understand this.

On 8/26/05 I requested a trade from (Gold) Aruba Surf Club for Waiohai for either of two specific 2006 weeks. Does that mean that for the first 21 days, if a 2BR opens up at Waiohai, Marriott Owners get first Preference? After 21 days what happens? Where do I stand on that list?

Many thanks.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here is my response (edited slightly):
The preference is generally 24 days, although it used to be 21. For the first 24 days (shorter during the last 60 days before check-in) after a week is deposited, only Marriott owners will be successful in trading into that Marriott week.

Where you stand if you want that week depends entirely on the strength of the week you deposited in exchange, including demand for your resort, the size of your unit, the demand for the particular week you deposited, how early you deposited and all of the other standard II factors. That strength is then compared to the strength of weeks deposited by other Marriott owners requesting that same week you want. Sometimes, you'll win; sometimes you won't.

After 24 days (or the shorter period), all II owners (not just Marriott owners) have a chance at getting that week, thus diminishing the chance thereafter that a Marriott owner will get it.

Note that you will only be confirmed into that week if II deems your exchange is a "comparable exchange". Thus, even if no other Marriott owner wants the week you are after, you won't get it if it's not a comparable exchange. Obviously, you can exchange into anything that's available - comparable or not - within the 60-day window.

You can find more info on the priority policy in the FAQs at the top of the list of topics for the Marriott forum. Also, a search of the forum using the words priority, exchange and various combinations of other pertinent terms will turn up several useful threads.

Note: Although I have assumed above that someone deposits a week when requesting a Marriott internal exchange, a request-first using a particular week apparently has approximately the same trading strength as a deposit-first for that same week.

Last edited: