• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriotto Desert springs given to me [merged]

TUG Member
Reaction score
if someone wanted to give you their Marriott Desert Springs
two bedroom/Bathtroom/annual use/lock off
season 22 to 27 and 37-49 ( Silver season) not (Platimum season)

If they would give it to you ($0)
+
2012 Annual Dues paid are paid (you get 2012 Annual usage) also for Free+
They would pay all closgins costs ($600) also no cost for you

do you think I can use that (2) bedroom/2 bathroom lock off at Desert springs (Silver season)
still during very very slow season

do you thinik
studio part of of Marriott Desert SPrings 2 bedroom 2 bathroom (Silver week)
could pull in interval Marriott
like a 2 bedroom two bathroom
at MAriott waiohai Beach club
in early november
+
within 60 days of date?

or
would I be very dissapointed??

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
if someone wanted to give you their Marriott Desert Springs
two bedroom/Bathtroom/annual use/lock off

If they would give it to you ($0)
+
2012 Annual Dues paid are paid (you get 2012 Annual usage) also for Free+
They would pay all closgins costs ($600) also no cost for you

do you think I can use that (2) bedroom/2 bathroom lock off at Desert springs (Silver season)
still during very very slow season

do you thinik
studio part of of Marriott Desert SPrings 2 bedroom 2 bathroom (Silver week)
could pull in interval Marriott
like a 2 bedroom two bathroom
at MAriott waiohai Beach club
in early november
+
within 60 days of date?

or
would I be very dissapointed??

Comment; If anyone is "giving away" timeshares these days, it's to get the maintenance fee monkey off their back.

That said, if you are going to use it for trading purposes, and you yourself don't see the need to unload it in the future, then go for it, however, it may be cheaper just to rent the time you need as you need it, and not get saddled with the ownership headaches.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score

silver is the middle of the summer, IIRC. that sounds like gold season.

IMO that is a very good deal if you are looking for a trader, but i think your trading expectations do sound a bit out of whack... a 2BR for a 2BR is probably more "like for like."

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Charles is correct. The seasons are Red (platinum), White (gold) and Blue (silver) at Deserts Springs.

The timeshare you are being given is in white season.

Look at this calendar. You may have to be logged in.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have been very pleased with the trading ability of our DSVII unit. I see quite a bit with the studio, but more with the 1 bedroom. I just bought it last year and locked it off and deposited the 1 bed with SFX (traded it for Kona Hawaiian village 2 bed) and traded the studio back in to DSVII via II for Thanksgiving 2012 (1 bed). I also received an xyz on that exchange which we used for a 1 bed at Grand Chateau in Dec. We will be staying at our unit this Thanksgiving. The resort is beautiful and recently updated.

That said, I only see 2 bedroom units at dedicated 2 bedroom resorts with the studio with a few exceptions. I dont recall seeing Waiohai ever, even in flex change but I'm not looking every day. You may want to do a search on the sightings board to see if you can get more information on that question. I do see the Maui properties, Ko'olina, and the other Kauai resort in Lihue (Kauai Beach Villas?).

I really like the white season at this resort (which is the season you are being offered). We can't travel in the spring because of our work schedules, and according to friends who live in the desert, fall is just as nice. In fact they told me that it can be windy in the spring. I guess they should know because they live there, but I've never seen anyone complain about it here on tug, so I don't know that it is really that bad.

I think this would be a nice timeshare to own and free is always good. But if you need it to go to Hawaii regularly, I don't know if it has enough pull to get a 2 bed with a studio. Hey, if you don't want it, I'll take it!;)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

TUG Member
Reaction score
yumdrey

do you feel in (2) years
(2) Bedrooms (2) Bathrooms
Marriott Platinimum Desert springs
two bedroom two bathrooms
platinimum season
will be free

just like
Marriott Desert springs
2 bedrooms 2 batrhoom
silver searson
are free today

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Trying to predict the resale market of TS is like trying to predict the stock market. Sure a platinum DSV week could go to $0, but it could also rebound and be up to $4000. It all depends on get a week for free now, or gamble on the future. If you knew for sure that the DSV week in two years would be worth $0, then I would wait. But that is not possible to predict. Had we known our MGV week would be worth $1000 when we paid $7500, we would have waited. The problem is you just don't know.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since you had 3 nearly identical threads going on this topic, I have merged them. If you have any more questions or comments on this topic, please post them in this thread, rather than starting a new one.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
yumdrey

do you feel in (2) years
(2) Bedrooms (2) Bathrooms
Marriott Platinimum Desert springs
two bedroom two bathrooms
platinimum season
will be free

just like
Marriott Desert springs
2 bedrooms 2 batrhoom
silver searson
are free today

Would I take that silver (or even gold) week for free now?
No.
Would I take that platinum week for free 2 years later?
Yes, if it happens. I can go to DSV I during spring break and x-mas or NYE week.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'm a recent DS2 owner

I bought a 2 BR lock off at DS2 this past summer. I paid $300 on eBay.

My unit is a gold (or white) season. This includes weeks 22-26 and 36-50 IIRC. The original poster called this silver and it is not. Silver is the summer weeks 27-35 or thereabouts. Although silver season is a bit too hot for me, some people like it and it still trades fairly well.

Although I am a new owner I found the TS to be a good trader. I reserved the lock-off (efficiency) for early June and traded it for a 1 BR in June at Marriott Lake Tahoe. I next reserved the remaining 1BR for Thanksgiving week and traded it for a 2 BR Marriott Newport Coast in October. So both were trade-ups in terms of size. NCV might be considered a trade up in quality as well.

At the time that I was lining up my trades, I was pleasantly surprised that I saw trade-UP availability in terms of season (like trading a 0 BR Gold/white for a 0 BR Platinum (even though I didn't do that). I also some some availability in larger units and there might have been some availability in some shoulder portions of both the Platinum season and in larger units. But a lot of this is a matter of timing, and diligence. The further out you make your trades the better (usually). Also Platinum weeks vary in terms of value (TDI) and availability

At the time that I made my NCV trade, I saw a whole lot of 2 BR Sands of Kahana (Maui) available for the Spring of 2013. Nice place but a notch down from Marriotts. Must have been a huge block deposit by the developer. But I think that a lot of this has since been traded.

I've seen a few Platinum DS2's occasionally go for under $2K on Fleabay. While it would be nice to have a Platinum, I actually like going to DS2 in early June and November. I paid $300 for my DS2 Gold (plus closing). A generally average price. I've seen them trade as low as a dollar and also for more.

One common piece of advice is to own at a place where you like to stay. That way if you can't make a trade, you can still use it. If you own just for the purpose of trading, the DS2 is a pretty good trader. Keep in mind also that by owning a timeshare that you can join I.I. and get access to a lot of shoulder-season bargains at costs less that the equiv. MF.

For me I am getting a good value proposition by splitting the unit. I get 2 useable weeks and pay around $1K maintenance. So far I have been able to trade up in size. So my nightly cost in a nice Marriott is under $100. Plus I have been picking up a couple Getaways a year for around $ 50 to 70 a night.

The original poster's comment about a 0 br. DS2 trading for a 2 BR Waiohai could NOT have been serious. Perhaps the person said it to stimulate a discussion. There is close to a zero chance of that happening, except perhaps for a Flexchange that momentarily might pop up for a few minutes.

TUG Member
Reaction score
BJR Sandiego

I have traded my studio part of my existing marriott Desert springs
two bedroom (Platinum season)
for
a two bedroom at the marriott waiohai Beach club
in november or Early december for 9 years in a row

is your point that a studio part of a new marriott desert spring
two bedroom (Gold season)
would never trade for a Two bedroom at the marriott waiohai Beach club in
november or early DEcember??

The exchanes occured about (6) months in advance of early november or december

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Congratulations

1965: Congratulations on being successful in making those trades, especially so many years in a row. You obviously have a lot more experience than I do.

In your first post you mentioned trading a silver week efficiency within 60 days and in your last post you mentioned your own experience trading a platinum efficiency 6 months out. Different things. So, the point of your postings are confusing at least to me. I guess it was more of a rhetorical post. Shame on me for not understanding that.

Doing a flexchange exchange (i.e. 59 days out) for Marriott Hawaii doesn't surprise me except that there is a lot of competition from fellow Marriott owners I would think. More demand than supply I would think. In the case of a "tie" I would think that the Marriott owner with the higher tradeability would break the tie, but I don't know for certain.

Doing a straight exchange of a silver DS2 (as you first posted), has a TDI of around 90. The lowest Hawaii TDI is 0.95 for week 47. So if the trade would go through, it would tell me that yours was the best match up available. When I've done manual searches using a 1 BR gold, I don't recall seeing any Marriott Hawaii available. Doesn't mean that some don't show up. Just means that there is a small supply and I'm not looking when they show up. Possible to trade a silver DS2 for a slightly higher TDI Marriott Hawaii? I guess so. Likely? Hmmm.... No. So where would YOU put this probability? Likely or unlikely?

Doing a straight exchange of a high TDI platinum week for a more-or-less average or lower TDI in Hawaii (Nov and early Dec) is apparently quite do-able based on your own experience. That is good to know. Congratulations. :clap:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a White DSV I and DSV II unit and have traded quite nicely. Have received a 1 BR at Maui Marriott in June with the 1 BR portion on a request from II. I got confirmed 11 months in advance 3 days after the request. Studio got a 2 BR Newport Coast the week before Thanksgiving on an instant exchange 5 months in advance. Studio pulled Aruba Surf Club Studio in May and then later re-exchanged that to a 2BR during flex change. Last year Studio pulled a 2BR Ko Olina October week about 5 months in advance.

I gave II the 1BR portion of DSV II and got a $1200 discount off Alaska Cruise. This was $1200 less than the lowest price I found in the Internet for the same cruise.

The points I get in DC for DSV I and II have made them my primary DC source. DSV I gets 2375 and DSV II gets 2150. I converted 2011 DSV I along with both 2012 DSV I and DSV II weeks to DC points. For that I got a 3 BR in Kauai Lagoons OV for 5 nights (55 percent discount period), 7 Nights at Ko Olina OV 2BR, 4 nights Newport Coast this June and 1 night 2BR Aruba Surf Club. I know it is short of the 21 nights I gave up, but still some high demand locations.

When I first bought these, I noticed that my white DSV I and DSV II would see the exact same inventory as my Platinum Shadow Ridge units and studios would see the exact same inventory as 1BR's, and not just flexchange but looking a year in advance. This year I have noticed that Studios don't see as much as 1BR's but my white weeks see the exact same inventory as my Platinum weeks.

With the last resort Marriott built in Palm Desert, Shadow Ridge Enclaves, the Platinum Season has expanded to include the most of the white season. I think end of September, and all of October and November are ideal times to go to Palm Desert. Marriott even realized that on Enclaves.

I do check II at least 5 times a day, so I am very active in trying to obtain trades, but it has paid off nicely. If I could get a week for free I would take it except I can't put it in the DC so I would have to pay for another II account. We live 8 hours from Palm Desert, so my feeling is at worst we go to Palm Desert which we like very much.

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a note that should have been in my last post, DSV I MF's had a very large increase this year. Not sure if OP was being offered a DSV I or DSV II unit. DSV I MF's are $210 more per year than DSV II. Part of this is a very expensive agreement that DSV I renewed with the JW Marriott Resort. DSV I had a contract with JW to use the facilities at the resort property. That agreement terminated about 2 years ago and they negotiated for 2 years to get the agreement back. During that time the fitness center at DSV I was improved to compensate for no JW usage. For 2012, the agreement was again signed with JW. In my opinion it was a very expensive agreement. The previous agreement was $50 per week and the new agreement is $55 for 2012. The board explained it a only a 10% over the previous agreement, but then in the last paragraph threw in that the JW usage is only Monday through Friday when the old agreement was 7 days. So a 10% increase for 28% less usage is very high. Then add to that that the agreement calls for an automatic 5% increase each year for 5 years. Now owners have to maintain the improved fitness center and their own pools along with paying to use JW pools and fitness center. To me it is a bad arrangement.

Still a happy owner, just wish they had done more polling to see if the JW agreement is something owners wanted.

TUG Member
Reaction score
San Diego
What is TDI? how do I get the TDI? for many Interval marriott Trades?
thank you for your help

I think you are trying to help me
that my MArriott Desert Spring
Platinum
lock off studio
will get a two bedroom at Marriott Waiohai Beach club
in very very low demand times

but
a marriott Desert spring
Gold
Lock off
studio
would not get a two bedroom at Marriott waiohai Beach club
in very very low demand times
because
it would not have enought TDI

??

Thanks for your vaulalbe advice

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
1965, I am confused. Are you asking hypothetical questions or actually looking to buy a week for trade? Didn't you just sell a plat DSV week back to Marriott? If so, why would you be going to the trouble to buy another "lesser week" now that will carry the same MF price as the platinum?

TDI is the Travel Demand Index. You can find it on IIs website when looking at a resort in the resort directory.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dixoide

i am just thinking about severl things and trying to learn from others like you
that have so much valualbe information

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is the Hawaii Travel Demand Index:

tdi-13.gif

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also,
why are
you
writing your
posts like
this?

Very difficult to read.

(Hint - don't use the enter/return key, just let the next line wrap around automatically.)

Last edited:

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a summer week at Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert and have had very good luck with trades. We always lock-off and trade "up" for larger units than what we are giving up. For example, we have traded our one bedroom side for Marriott Newport coast in September on more that one occasion and we just traded our lock-off the other day for a two bedroom in early June back to our home resort. Great deal! We have never traded for Hawaii, but that is such a crap-shoot and totally depends on what time of year you want to go, I don't think you can count on Hawaii with any certainty, I think you will just have to try it once you have ownership.

I would expect DSV II to have excellent trading power in II and I believe it's even a little stronger given it's proximity to a JW Marriott property.

We have stayed at DSV II many times with our kids and absolutely love the resort. They have done some nice remodeling in recent couple of years of the pool area and added a really nice kids activity center with it's own movie theater and everything! DSV is too hot to visit in blue season in my opinion, but it should be a great trader and you should be able to consistenly lock it off every year and get two weeks of vacation for your one week of ownership!

If you can afford the maintenace fees with no problem each year, I think you'd be crazy to pass this up. It's a beautiful resort.

Janna

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just reread your post and realized you are being given not the summer season, but the white or gold season? This should have excellent trade power and the resort is very pleasant during your season. Novemeber is a drop dead gorgesous time of year there!

Janna

TUG Member
Reaction score
denise M
I apologize for poorly written posts. I sometimes am using my Samsung table and speaking the words not typing the words (old fashioned way)
and they are posted on the message board.

I do not always type. I just speak into my samsung tablet,
so pls excuse poorly written texts or misspelled words.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise M
I think your TDI that you posted about the haiwiian Islands would support
why my studio at the MARriott Desert springs (Platinum week)
is able to trade for a (2) bedroom MArriott Waioahi Beach club
Between September 1,2012 to December 15,2012