• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Will Only Accept Flex Points in Merger

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel we need to wait and see; what will truly happen after October 2020.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Vacations Worldwide executives said in their official October 4 Investor Day presentation that the first phase of the linkage between Marriott Vacation Club and the former Vistana programs would not be announced until "mid-to-late 2020"...

If ever there was a time to buy nothing, this is it...

George

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
bogey 21, I totally agree. I am holding, what I have until next fall or winter. No new purchases.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
bogey 21, I totally agree. I am holding, what I have until next fall or winter. No new purchases.
I agree as well, by next year we will all know what the playing field is all about and what monies it will take to get fully in the game.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Though those willing to take the risk, could also be rewarded handsomely. Or they could be leff holding on to something they can't get rid of...

Da5id

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't kept up with TUG for awhile but at WKV now. Would it be fair to say that if I don't have any interest in converting to flex or otherwise changing our current ownership status at WKV there isn't much point in attending an Owner Update? It sounds like there is still a lot uncertainty in the Marriott merger.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Haven't kept up with TUG for awhile but at WKV now. Would it be fair to say that if I don't have any interest in converting to flex or otherwise changing our current ownership status at WKV there isn't much point in attending an Owner Update? It sounds like there is still a lot uncertainty in the Marriott merger.

Only reason to attend would be if the incentive is greater than the value of your time. The sales agent won't have any great insight as to MVC/Vistana plans.

Da5id

TUG Member
Reaction score

NOLA Sweetie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex
Star Options will not get you access to new Marriott Merger Program. Marriott will only allow flex owners to participate. Mandatory Resort owners will be excluded from trading into Marriott. Interval will be the mediator, the conduit for trading into Marriott’s Family of Timeshare Companies, Westin, Sheridan etc. This was presented at my Owner update today at SBP by a “Marriott” Rep and a Vistana Rep. I was shown a sample points chart that will be used across the board for all Marriott Properties. They wanted me to convert my mandatory 81,000 SO to flex points at a “discounted” rate, to add to my existing flex points. The so called Marriott Vacation Club Rep flubbed a few basic MVC resale questions I asked him, he had trouble describing the “junk” fees on a resale. He also made it sound like legacy owners did not exist. I noticed the universal flex points usage chart had a title that read “Options Conversion Chart”, I am guessing that this is the same chart Interval uses when folks trade into Interval, not some new flex points chart of the future. What a sham, I have attended many presentations, but this is a new low, I am calling Marriott tomorrow and complaining about this fraudulent presentation. That Marriott Rep never came back to my table, because I basically called him out. The Vistana Rep tried selling me a package with 30,000 less star options that I currently own, which would have cost me $13,000. I walked out of there in complete disgust. What happens to folks that don’t understand how Marriott works?? I have been following both Vistana and Marriott Tugg Forums, thank you Tug for giving me a wonderful ts education.
I am glad you made this post. I am sitting here realizing that we got duped when we moved to the new "Sheraton Flex" so we would be able to use the new Marriott system. The problem is, we still paid over $20K to buy into the new system. Prior to that we owned Sheraton Vistana Villages, Sheraton Desert Oasis an Westin Lugunamar. We now pay alot more in fees and have less star options. I don't know that I can fix getting conned. Help!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I am glad you made this post. I am sitting here realizing that we got duped when we moved to the new "Sheraton Flex" so we would be able to use the new Marriott system. The problem is, we still paid over $20K to buy into the new system. Prior to that we owned Sheraton Vistana Villages, Sheraton Desert Oasis an Westin Lugunamar. We now pay alot more in fees and have less star options. I don't know that I can fix getting conned. Help!

How long ago did you trade into Flex?

jimandelise

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Williamsburg, Grande Vista and trust points
Vistana Orlando, St John's
Massanutten
Wyndham Williamsburg
Disney Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdo
Not what I was told from the Marriott update. I general idea was the Vistana Points would be accepted into MVC on an annual deposit basis. Since the majority of Vistana owners are not flex owners this means that Marriott will not have access to those resorts.. I think not.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Not what I was told from the Marriott update. I general idea was the Vistana Points would be accepted into MVC on an annual deposit basis. Since the majority of Vistana owners are not flex owners this means that Marriott will not have access to those resorts.. I think not.

Pretty much anything you hear from a Marriott or Vistana "update" is little more than speculation on the part of the sales reps, designed to help them make the sale. The only "facts" we have is what Marriott Vacations Worldwide has disclosed in their corporate investor presentations - namely that they will announce a "common points currency" to facilitate bookings between legacy MVC and legacy Vistana sometime in mid-to-late 2020. After that, they plan to transition to selling only one points product across all brands, but no time frame was given for that second phase. That is the only information we truly know, as information presented by executive management to investors is legally regulated with severe penalties for false representations.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I was told this morning at a presentation at SVV that Vistana Signature Network would be going away. Somehow this was interpreted to something about the licensing agreement not being renewed and that it was announced in May. I have yet to find it and I challenged the rep to give me the link. After a round and round, they never really provided a link but pointed me to the VAC website and something from May 2019. The only licensing agreement issue I am aware of was from last year when Marriott Vacation Club renewed their agreement with Marriott International and Vistana did not. The new deal gave great concessions to Marriott Vacation Club and kind of left Vistana out to lunch, which I think somewhat forced ILG's hand in selling to VAC. The presentation got a little tense when I called them out on it and told the rep not to tell people that VSN would be going away when they had no known facts to back it up and it was based on speculation. I also asked how their developer owners would feel when told VSN was no longer and they no longer had use of StarOptions to book and either only owned a floating or fixed week or they could pay to join whatever new program is concocted. The rep then also said that when they heard about this that they bought in to Flex. I said "you should never buy out of fear". Hopefully we end up with the points we were promised. I am usually quite mellow in these presentations, but I don't like them telling people something where they have not facts to back it up.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told this morning at a presentation at SVV that Vistana Signature Network would be going away.
Possibly. But the main questions still remain unanswered: 1) when 2) how will the voluntary resale owners be impacted (if at all)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I was told this morning at a presentation at SVV that Vistana Signature Network would be going away. Somehow this was interpreted to something about the licensing agreement not being renewed and that it was announced in May. I have yet to find it and I challenged the rep to give me the link. After a round and round, they never really provided a link but pointed me to the VAC website and something from May 2019. The only licensing agreement issue I am aware of was from last year when Marriott Vacation Club renewed their agreement with Marriott International and Vistana did not. The new deal gave great concessions to Marriott Vacation Club and kind of left Vistana out to lunch, which I think somewhat forced ILG's hand in selling to VAC. The presentation got a little tense when I called them out on it and told the rep not to tell people that VSN would be going away when they had no known facts to back it up and it was based on speculation. I also asked how their developer owners would feel when told VSN was no longer and they no longer had use of StarOptions to book and either only owned a floating or fixed week or they could pay to join whatever new program is concocted. The rep then also said that when they heard about this that they bought in to Flex. I said "you should never buy out of fear". Hopefully we end up with the points we were promised. I am usually quite mellow in these presentations, but I don't like them telling people something where they have not facts to back it up.
Way to give them hell, Jeremy. I bet they don’t hear that very often!

Best,

Greg

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Though those willing to take the risk, could also be rewarded handsomely. Or they could be leff holding on to something they can't get rid of...
My HRA sale finally went through and I have no more VOI with HRA. It’s out of my account. All I have is mandatory SVV VOI’s. Let’s see if I made the right choice. Not having HRA any longer is a burden of a high MF off my back. I don’t mind the SVV ownerships. I feel like I can unload those easy this year if need be. The EOYO Bella 2bd at 81K and the lockout are the first on the chopping block lol.

Moontrekker

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages Bella x2, Vistana Fountains
I did an owner update last week at Sheraton Vistana Villages (24Jan20). The Marriott rep was the rudest salesperson I think I've ever encountered. Said that the only people who don't upgrade to the newest program are essentially emotional ninies or just stubborn. He inferred that my SVN membership was an old Chevy and he was selling BMWs... but maybe an old Chevy is ok for some people (insinuating that I'm a podunk Chevy guy if I don't want his Beemer). He painted the picture that 85% of owners are converting into the Marriott system and that those who don't will be left trading a small number of units with each other in an ever diminishing pool. He also said the current Vistana trading system will be gone by August of this year, and Vistana owners will not have access to Marriott properties except through Interval International. I told him and his boss that they are giving Marriott a very bad name with such policies/practices. They had nothing more to say. If it ends up that I loose my SVN trading capabilities, I guess I'll just use II.... but I won't give a nickle to Marriott.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did an owner update last week at Sheraton Vistana Villages (24Jan20). The Marriott rep was the rudest salesperson I think I've ever encountered. Said that the only people who don't upgrade to the newest program are essentially emotional ninies or just stubborn. He inferred that my SVN membership was an old Chevy and he was selling BMWs... but maybe an old Chevy is ok for some people (insinuating that I'm a podunk Chevy guy if I don't want his Beemer). He painted the picture that 85% of owners are converting into the Marriott system and that those who don't will be left trading a small number of units with each other in an ever diminishing pool. He also said the current Vistana trading system will be gone by August of this year, and Vistana owners will not have access to Marriott properties except through Interval International. I told him and his boss that they are giving Marriott a very bad name with such policies/practices. They had nothing more to say. If it ends up that I loose my SVN trading capabilities, I guess I'll just use II.... but I won't give a nickle to Marriott.
Sounds like the same rep we had who chased us down the hallway yelling "you'll be leaving your grandkids a black and white TV instead of color".

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
That’s interesting because the MVC ratio after a decade is closer to 60/40. MVC uses II for trading. An internal system was never created. And if StarOptions are going away, why are ppl still being offered to retro resale contracts? Goodness these sales reps give the trade a bad name.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
That’s interesting because the MVC ratio after a decade is closer to 60/40. MVC uses II for trading. An internal system was never created. And if StarOptions are going away, why are ppl still being offered to retro resale contracts? Goodness these sales reps give the trade a bad name.
Let me tell ya, I’m usually “on” it and very skeptical. How could I not have picked that up! You are SO RIGHT!! Why would they be selling Retro if there is no point? Grasping these people are. I was told a year ago I need to buy by July since beginning in August Retro was going away. Lol. Classic

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by MVC uses II for trading and that an internal system was never created? The MVC internal system is the Destination Club program.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
wow, so the sales have been going so well for them lol, I wonder why they feel the need to yell and scream and tell all the lies then!. The problem of course is that not 85% of the week owners have converted and this creates inventory challenges, I am sure they have complains. We have found out that many people have trouble booking Laguanamar with Aventuras at 12-8 months, even low season. It is not totally surprising since Lagunamar is the more in demand "home" resort and its contribution to the Aventuras inventory is a fraction of the other 2 resorts in the Flex.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
What do you mean by MVC uses II for trading and that an internal system was never created? The MVC internal system is the Destination Club program.
Not everyone can utilize DC for trading. I do not have access since I just purchased last year.
DC would be considered an overlay, addition in comparison to other Systems that had points system instituted day 1.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Not everyone can utilize DC for trading. I do not have access since I just purchased last year.
DC would be considered an overlay, addition in comparison to other Systems that had points system instituted day 1.

For an enrolled owner it might fairly be considered an overlay - an additional option - but for new purchasers of Destination Club points, it is THE system - the only system. II is simply a way to use your points externally from Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have noticed that there are no longer any Marriott or Vistana Orlando getaways after August. We were looking at one a while back in September and it is now gone. All the other inventory out there after August is gone. I doubt it was all booked up. Similar things have happened in the past when inventory vanished only to show up again. Wonder if they are pulling or withholding it in anticipation of something?