• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott vs Vistana points for first time TSer

vvZODvv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last weekend my wife and I attended our first timeshare presentation at the Westin Desert Willows. Prior to the presentation we were skeptical of the idea of timesharing but now see benefits and I’m now investigating the concept after saying “no” to the presented offer. Finding TUG has already been extremely beneficial as it pointed me to the resale market.

Being familiar with the quality of Marriott and Westin hotels we are investigating these two timeshare systems.

When I look at the resale market, I’m seeing that purchasing Westin StarOptions are significantly cheaper than Marriott’s DPs once the $3 junk fee is added for equivalent values (81,000 ~ 2,500). My question is: what does Marriot offer, if anything, over Westin?

The first thing I notice is a greater number of Marriott timeshare resorts vs Vistana. What else am I missing that justifies this price difference? Is there, for example, nicer accommodations or more amenities?

At this point, we prefer points to weeks for their flexibility but am open to being educated otherwise.

Thank you for enlightening me.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I'm a DC points (retail - oops) and resale weeks from Vistana and Marriott. If I were to do it all over again, the FIRST thing I would buy is a resale, 2BR lockoff, mandatory, platinum week from Vistana, probably from Vistana Villages. That nets 95,700 StarOptions per week or you can lock it off and deposit 2 1-br units into Interval and it trades decently.

EDIT: That provides a lot of flexibility without a lot of upfront commitment (those weeks go for about $2-3K resale), and will let you test the waters so to speak.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Ultimately, based on executive management comments, both the Marriott timeshares and the Westin timeshares will be consolidated into a common points system currency - and eventually into a common points product - since they are both now owned and managed by Marriott Vacations Worldwide - probably later this year or 2021. How that will impact legacy weeks ownership and resale points ownership is unknown, but there is a possibility that whatever you buy may have some sort of internal reciprocal access to both legacy systems. Everyone is expecting some sort of announcement in the second half of 2020.

The Westin points system is generally more straightforward and simpler than the DP system, and their "Mandatory" deeds come with points rights that transfer on retail whereas for Marriott points you have to buy the pricier DPs. Having said that, Marriott has more locations in more places, so maybe look at the two systems and figure out which system has the locations you would get the most value from based on your vacation preferences. If Marriott is significantly better positioned for you, maybe the price differential is justified, or maybe not. Only you can determine that. Overall the systems are roughly comparable in quality, although some of the Westin resorts might be a slight notch above most Marriotts, and the Sheraton resorts that Westin also has access to may be a notch below the Marriotts.

Depending on how the integration goes, this whole discussion may become academic once the common product form is rolled out, but that's where I think we are today.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I'm on a similar journey. Am i correct the total costs involved in acquiring 2000 DC points:
Purchase cost say $3pp $6000
+ Points transfer initiation fee $3pp $6000
Total $12,000
+ club fee $205 annually
+ MF @0.60pp = $1200

I'm looking specifically for Ko Olina April 11-18 2020 and similar annually. A studio MA is 1705 points. Would i likely be able to book this as a DC points owner or is it popular and i'd be better off trying to rent?

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would certainly be able to book it as a DC owner, possibly even within 60 days. Not a problem at all.

ACDSNY

Reaction score
We have both and it seem like Vistana has more service fees for doing transactions like banking, borrowing, name changes.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last weekend my wife and I attended our first timeshare presentation at the Westin Desert Willows. Prior to the presentation we were skeptical of the idea of timesharing but now see benefits and I’m now investigating the concept after saying “no” to the presented offer. Finding TUG has already been extremely beneficial as it pointed me to the resale market.

Being familiar with the quality of Marriott and Westin hotels we are investigating these two timeshare systems.

When I look at the resale market, I’m seeing that purchasing Westin StarOptions are significantly cheaper than Marriott’s DPs once the $3 junk fee is added for equivalent values (81,000 ~ 2,500). My question is: what does Marriot offer, if anything, over Westin?

The first thing I notice is a greater number of Marriott timeshare resorts vs Vistana. What else am I missing that justifies this price difference? Is there, for example, nicer accommodations or more amenities?

At this point, we prefer points to weeks for their flexibility but am open to being educated otherwise.

Certainly investigate both systems and you may want to look at Wyndham, Bluegreen, Hilton and Diamond as well, all of which have a points system. Hilton will be comparable in quality, the others will tend to have nice resorts but maybe not quite as much so and will tend to be more variable from one resort to another. I'd only suggest Disney if you want to spend your time at WDW. I would suggest you look at where & how you want to travel then start to match up the system that will best accomplish those goals. Once you've done some self evaluation and understand more about the systems and resorts, you'll be able to narrow down your best choices to accomplish your goals. Slow down and spend a few months absorbing the information, you'll be glad you did.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
uhm.....

Slowing down--with the intention of owning Marriott/Vistana points--might not be the best advice right now.
That being said.....you should NEVER rush a timeshare purchase, period. IMO

I own Marriott legacy.
I own Vistana mandatory/SO's

I heavily researched the points ownership via MVC resale points....and concluded that for myself and my family, the MVC points were too costly in comparison with the legacy/Vistana SO option.
Of course, the enrolled >2010 points are a wonderful, wonderful benefit that money can't buy. (ok, for $35k, you actual could buy them for a while)

If in doubt, I would consider buying a platinum 2br (or 3) Marriott legacy or Vistana mandatory (WKORV/N ?). They really will get you some great trades, under the current system.

If you're thinking 'how can I get a steal and still get into the system.....?' Consider buying an 81k SVV mandatory. That will get you Hawaii at 8 months. Cheap as chips.

Just a thought.

Of course, I have ZERO interest in Oahu. I like booking Marriotts around the world (need to retire to use them!) and think the legacy lock-off 2-for-1 exchanges via II with preference.....is a real deal. for now.

Good luck!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I'm on a similar journey. Am i correct the total costs involved in acquiring 2000 DC points:
Purchase cost say $3pp $6000
+ Points transfer initiation fee $3pp $6000
Total $12,000
+ club fee $205 annually
+ MF @0.60pp = $1200

I'm looking specifically for Ko Olina April 11-18 2020 and similar annually. A studio MA is 1705 points. Would i likely be able to book this as a DC points owner or is it popular and i'd be better off trying to rent?

If you want a studio at MKO in April each year, buy a week, lock it off and rent (or trade) the 1br side.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

What resorts, unit size and time of the year do you like to travel? Do you want a kitchen/ kitchenette in the unit? Many smaller MVC units do not have one. Once you have these answers, you can study the MVC and Vistana points charts and see how many points you actually need in each system and see how much it would cost upfront and in annual fees.

When I did this calculation for ourselves, a combination of Vistana mandatory plus voluntary contracts was the clear winner for us, not even close. YMMV

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
If you want a studio at MKO in April each year, buy a week, lock it off and rent (or trade) the 1br side.
The ads on redweek don't specify lockoff ... if it says sleeps 8 vs sleeps 6 does that mean it's a lockoff at MKO?

vvZODvv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's responses and I'm soaking it all in. Based on the consensus, I'm reevaluating weeks vs points, despite their reduced flexibility.

Am I correct in my understanding that if I were to get Star Options through a mandatory week, I would only be able to book at 8 months out, rather than 12? How does that impact availability for desirable times/resorts?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I appreciate everyone's responses and I'm soaking it all in. Based on the consensus, I'm reevaluating weeks vs points, despite their reduced flexibility.

Am I correct in my understanding that if I were to get Star Options through a mandatory week, I would only be able to book at 8 months out, rather than 12? How does that impact availability for desirable times/resorts?

You would of course be able to book a week at your home resort in the 12-8 month time period. StarOption bookings for 1-21 days at other Vistana resorts would only be available no earlier than 8 months prior to arrival. If you are traveling during a peak period at a popular resort there will be less availability at 8 months than there would have been at 12 months.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

I own vistana villages, just sold a lockout, signed over the deed today. While it’s nice to have a lockout to deposit half and use half star options, the maint fee is a bit higher. With that being said, I’ve owned it for 4 years. The first year I booked harborside Atlantis 2 bedroom lockout summer week at 8 month window. Twice I booked oceanfront one bedroom WKORVN at the 8 month mark. Once in April 2018 and then May 2019. This year I combined with banked star options for a harborside resort spring break week booked at midnight 8 mos out. In the 4 years I have had the lockout, I’ve done well with the star options. True the options will be “useless” from 12-8 month mark if you want to go somewhere other than your home resort. I find that things become available last minute or throughout the year and then there is also the interval exchange to take advantage of. I’m cutting down ownerships (some may disagree since a new common currency program is coming). For me, I may not need as much as I have.

It all comes down to which resorts you want to go to. If you want to spend the cash resale on the DC points, you know what you’re getting. Pretty straight forward booking at 12 months or 13 months I believe. You’ll have a vast selection of great Marriott properties to choose from. With vistana mandatory you have star options to be used at VSE resorts at 8 mos. if you want to purchase mandatory VSE with the hope that it will be winner winner chicken dinner in a new program, that’s a gamble you’ll need to ask yourself if you want to take. For me, if VSE mandatory resale is excluded from a joint program, I can accept that because I like the resorts I book with star options currently (assuming nothing in the VSN changes).

I’d really only think about where you want to go and when you typically travel. If you’re not bound to school schedules and holiday travel then booking at 8 mo is pretty easy.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We have both and it seem like Vistana has more service fees for doing transactions like banking, borrowing, name changes.
There are no charges for borrowing with Vistana. You only have to pay the MF for the year you are borrowing from prior to booking.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Im always a fan of actually owning weeks. Have mandatory in Vistana and hybrid through MVC which is a week plus points. Marriott is much easier to rent out the points vs renting a reservation out with Vistana if need.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Im always a fan of actually owning weeks. Have mandatory in Vistana and hybrid through MVC which is a week plus points. Marriott is much easier to rent out the points vs renting a reservation out with Vistana if need.

I like your post....but it may be confusing to some or OP.

I too am a fan of owning legacy weeks via resale.
Marriott points are indeed easy to rent ..... until they slam the door on that. (if)
Trust me: my Vistana WKORV ocean front unit will rent quite easily.

Hybrid/week? For those unaware, Marriott did (does?) sell weeks as 'hybrid packages' that provide a week and an equivalent number/value of points for one low price. Thus, the week/points hybrid. Example: an EOY Waiohai 'legacy week' and an equivalent number of points (3500?) for $45000. (numbers are approximate--I can't remember the actual numbers). The week is enrolled and can be converted to points as well. Thus, you get annual usage of about 4000 points or EOY Waiohai and points. Something like that.

Either way, you are shelling out over $30k for a week/points. This was a cheap and flexible way to get points and enrolled weeks. I think the program is gone now...except for maybe overseas? (Spain?) At some point, the resale MVC DC points resale value bottomed out to about $5 with junk fees... making this a better investment for some....but that has also gone back up to $7-8 per point with fees now I think based on ROFR.

Either way, the cost of a hybrid package far outweighs the cost of a legacy resale or Vistana SO mandatory purchase in most/all cases.

Hybrid is nice (if available) but much more expensive than non-Marriott resale.

(search the forum for the exact terms of the hybrids that were offered. sorry my examples are not accurate--I'm too lazy to research it right now.)