• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

marriott vs. HGVC

ldunk99

Reaction score
What are the differences? Benefits of each? Cons of each?

Thanks,

Lori

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
For good background articles explaining both systems, go to the advice page link in the red bar at the top of the page and scroll down to Clubs & Multi-Resorts.

Since Marriott has it's own board on TUG, you might also want to do some research there - but be careful not to post the same questions, or it will be deleted as a duplicate.

Steve

Reaction score
Hilton has a lot more flexibility in terms of the length of stay...and it is easier to book at the various resorts because you can do it in-house through Hilton rather than having to go through an external exchange company. This is Hilton's one major advantage.

In contrast, all Marriott exchanges go through Interval International...and they are all week-for-week exchanges. However, Marriott has lots more resorts and the resorts are nicer. Marriott has the edge in terms of architecture, grounds, decor, locations, etc. It's a better system.

I currently own in both systems, but I strongly prefer Marriott.

Steve

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hilton has a lot more flexibility in terms of the length of stay...and it is easier to book at the various resorts because you can do it in-house through Hilton rather than having to go through an external exchange company. This is Hilton's one major advantage.

In contrast, all Marriott exchanges go through Interval International...and they are all week-for-week exchanges. However, Marriott has lots more resorts and the resorts are nicer. Marriott has the edge in terms of architecture, grounds, decor, locations, etc. It's a better system.

Steve
Both companies have top of the line resorts.

I agree with Steve that HGVC reservation flexability in the number of resorts, size and length of stay is HGVC major advantage.

I also agree that Marriott has a lot more resort locations.

There are lots of threads which compare the two companies. Just do a search.
Like this link

Last edited:

gshipley

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the differences? Benefits of each? Cons of each?

Thanks,

Lori

I prefer Hilton simply because I rarely go on 7 day vacations. For instance, last Friday at 10:00am I decided I wanted to go to Orlando with the family. I called my wife, told her to pick me up at work in two hours. I then called Hilton and booked a room for Friday, Sat, and Sun night.

--
gshipley

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We own at both. As menetioned, HGVC has a lot more flexibility for reservations. However, they have a lot fewer locations to choose from for internal exchanges. Even the locations they do have, many are affiliates which do not have 100% membership or availablity to HGVC members.

Marriott, on the other hand, has a huge selection of locations with top notch resorts. Those resorts generally enjoy prime locations.

As for not having to go through an exchange company with HGVC, that may be true but, you do not have total access to RCI without having to go through HGVC. I can do and see a lot online with my I.I. and Marriott. With HGVC, I really don't have online access. I like to do things myself and I don't care for having to call HGVC. The one time I wanted to exchange my Hilton week, I had to call them and then was only offered ONE choice in an overbuilt location (Branson). With my Marriott weeks I can see several choices for the same area. I've even snagged two bedroom units with my studio Marriott unit.

Hilton is a fine product but, for me, I prefer my Marriott weeks.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
own both
quality the same
Hilton much more flexible more for your money
Marriott- many more resorts in good areas
whats more important to you?