• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Visa

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Receive a mailer today regarding changes for the better to my Marriott Visa. I hold the silver card.

Points stay the same, 3 for Marriott and 1 for all other properties.

Changes:
Make $25000 in purchases in a calendar year and receive a $100 BB voucher. Not a great bonus. Likely won't hit the $25000 threshold.
10 nights towards elite status. Still get the silver status but now 10 nights closer to gold. Instead of starting out with 0 nights each year, will receive 10.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Receive a mailer today regarding changes for the better to my Marriott Visa. I hold the silver card.

Changes:
Make $25000 in purchases in a calendar year and receive a $100 BB voucher. Not a great bonus. Likely won't hit the $25000 threshold.
10 nights towards elite status. Still get the silver status but now 10 nights closer to gold. Instead of starting out with 0 nights each year, will receive 10.

Still not enough to make me want to keep our Silver card. We now have the Black card and will be cancelling Silver next month before it renews.

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Silver or black card?

Just upgraded card from silver to premier. Got no incentives but will get the one night free stay every year. Will also receive a better point distribution. Kept the same number as the silver and the switch was painless. Is it worth the difference in yearly renewal fee? I'm not sure. I don't carry balances but I noticed that the interest rate on the black card is higher. I typically charge about $4,000 per month so maybe I should have kept the silver.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

DaveK2000

Reaction score
I just got mine in the mail when my 1-yr anniversary came.

I just called Marriott Rewards.
- The new certificates are now coming via email (v paper/snail mail).
- They faxed a form to reissue my free night certificate. :whoopie:
- They were not familiar with the golf certificate :wall:
- Rose @ Marriott is very helpful 800-450-4442
- She's making sure I get the free night / golf

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do we still receive a free round of golf with the Black Card?

I only received one golf cert after my card was issued. My second year I only received a free night cert. My new free night cert should be coming in April.

:D

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I don't carry balances but I noticed that the interest rate on the black card is higher. I typically charge about $4,000 per month so maybe I should have kept the silver.

Interesting regarding interest rates. Here's how our 2 cards match up --

Silver card (husband's) -- 13.99%
Black card (mine since 8/07) -- 3.9%

We pay off each month, so really don't care and usually don't even check the rate.

kamumma1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just upgraded card from silver to premier. Got no incentives but will get the one night free stay every year. Will also receive a better point distribution. Kept the same number as the silver and the switch was painless. Is it worth the difference in yearly renewal fee? I'm not sure. I don't carry balances but I noticed that the interest rate on the black card is higher. I typically charge about $4,000 per month so maybe I should have kept the silver.

How did you "upgrade"? I called Chase to see if I could do that and they told me I had to apply for the card.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you "upgrade"? I called Chase to see if I could do that and they told me I had to apply for the card.
As far as I know, u can upgrade and downgrade and keep your card # and promotions (3.99% fixed for life, etc.). It's called a "product change" (premiere to normal card, visa-versa), I believe.

toni3063

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, u can upgrade and downgrade and keep your card # and promotions (3.99% fixed for life, etc.). It's called a "product change" (premiere to normal card, visa-versa), I believe.

Where are you getting the 3.99 fixed for life rate offer? Is it on the Marriott website or are you receiving offers in the mail?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting the 3.99 fixed for life rate offer? Is it on the Marriott website or are you receiving offers in the mail?
I got an offer in the mail almost every two months once my initial 6 month promo period ended (where I think the rate was at 3.99 for all purchases). I have one in hand for 3.99 that ends this month, one that is at 4.99 that ends March 31st and a new one that came just yesterday that ends I think April 30th (I forgot to verify the date).

How strange is this? Prime has been trending down but these offers have been increasing?

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Premier card interest rate

Re: Premier Visa card

I believe I read or heard from someone at Marriott that the 3.99% lifetime interest rate was only applied on balance transfers and not on new purchases. Is this correct?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Premier Visa card

I believe I read or heard from someone at Marriott that the 3.99% lifetime interest rate was only applied on balance transfers and not on new purchases. Is this correct?
as far as I know, this is how it works for me. This is why we got my wife another card, incase I wanted to take advantage of the 3.99% lifetime bal tx, we would NOT want to make purchases on it.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Concierge service

I just received an email with this link reminding me about the various services available to Marriott Signature cardholders. As I stated on another post, I recently used this service to get me a reservation at a particular restaurant after the same restaurant had just told me they were all filled up.

:D

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score

Changes:

What's a $100BB?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What's a $100BB?

BB=Bonus Bucks. These are good towards a two night stay at selected brands. Each bonus buck offer is different and the properties they can be used at differs with each BB offer. You have to book a publicly available rate and stay at least two nights to use them.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
BB=Bonus Bucks. These are good towards a two night stay at selected brands. Each bonus buck offer is different and the properties they can be used at differs with each BB offer. You have to book a publicly available rate and stay at least two nights to use them.

Okay, now I know it's not worth it. Thanks.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Okay, now I know it's not worth it. Thanks.
Why not? BBs are valuable towards reducing the cost of a stay. I have used many of them over the years to reduce the cost of my stays.

Maybe there is confusion over the term "publicly available rate". That doesn't mean "rack rate". It means the lowest rate you can find without using a convention or other special rate that's not available to the public. As one simple example, Marriott's discounted Senior rates are eligible for BB use.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why not? BBs are valuable towards reducing the cost of a stay. I have used many of them over the years to reduce the cost of my stays.

Maybe there is confusion over the term "publicly available rate". That doesn't mean "rack rate". It means the lowest rate you can find without using a convention or other special rate that's not available to the public. As one simple example, Marriott's discounted Senior rates are eligible for BB use.

However, AAA rates are not eligable for BB. While they are available to the public, only the public that has a AAA membership can take advantage (at least in principle).

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, AAA rates are not eligable for BB. While they are available to the public, only the public that has a AAA membership can take advantage (at least in principle).

Must vary by property. I used $50 BB on two of my AAA stays in the last month and I did not have any problem.