• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Visa Hotel Gift Certificate

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI
I have the Marriott Visa card and was unable to use the hotel certificate last year. I get it posted in my account in May and it expires early December which just doesnt seem to work out for me.

This year, I tried to book a room with this years certificate and the hotel will not honor it. Supposedly there are no rooms for Marriott rewards. This is really frustrating and I'm not sure if its worth keepin the card. What are other peoples experience with these certificates.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that's why I am going to change to a no fee card. It's a struggle to get hotels to accept the certificate. It has nothing to do with a points stay either. Sometimes a reward stay is available, but the certificate is not good for the stay. The only way to find out is to call reservations. This should probably be merged with the other thread about the MR visa.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've used several of these free-night certificates (husband & I each have a card) and as long as the hotel was available for a "standard reward stay", I haven't had any trouble using them.

Now they are available online, it's easy to make a reservation and attach the certificate.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We have use ours twice now. Both times no problem at all.

I love the new Marriott VISA with the free hotel stays!!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I have also used these twice without difficulty.

AMJ

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also used my hotel certificates without any problems.

Joyce

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I have also used the certificate successfully every year. I would rather my six months to use it fell at a different time of year. I ask them if you could delay the issue date, but they said there was no way.

I'm tempted to cancel the card this year and reapply five months later. I think I just missed my anniversary, though.

Sheila

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
If you ever get to the JW in Phuket, its the best value I can find for the Marriott Cat 1-5 cert. We use it to add an 8th night to our Phuket vacations.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to use it for a conference I go to every year at either a Courtyard or Residence Inn in Provo (Utah), and while there were reward stay rooms, they would not accept the certificate. Tried to use it for Park City, but there was only availibility in the mud season (spring/fall). We tried to use it for Hawaii, but no catagory 1-5 hotels. I tried to use it for a Residence Inn in a small little town in Cedar City, Utah, and they would not accept it. So it's Murphy's Law, if it is actually I need to use it for a room there is nothing available. If there is something I can't use, there is availability.

Darlene

abouna

Reaction score
I just used mine for a night at the Marriott Royal Aurora in Moscow and saved about $600.00 with taxes for one night there!

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to look for availability using an e-cert on the Marriott.com website? I am considering applying for the Premier card end of February (so I can use the e-cert in June 09) but want to see if there's any availability first. I'm timing the issue date carefully for future summer vacations (considering the 6 months I have to use it).

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
We used ours in New York for one free night in at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott during a five day trip to NYC. Then the points for the Marquis. We used the certificate for Brooklyn Bridge with only a three week notice too.

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a Premier

Does the certificate just show up in your rewards account?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes.

You can see it in your account summary.

I just used mine as part of a two day stay at a category five. I just told the Marriott reservations folks that I wanted to use it and they took the other points out of my account to make up the difference. Couldn't have been simpler.

I think some people may still be getting paper certificates.

Does the certificate just show up in your rewards account?