• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Vacation Club's Big Island (Hawaii) property

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to post on the MVCI threads or the Hawaii threads, but decided to post here first. We will be going to Hawaii in the fall and plan to stay at Ko Olina for a week. We were looking at doing a few days on another island since the island hopper flights are pretty reasonable. We have stayed in Maui and Kauai before so were thinking about the Big Island (we have only been there on a cruise). The property looks very nice and the views stunning, but reading mixed reviews of this property. I am OK with not having a full sized kitchen as we generally do bfast and lunch in the room but eat out for dinner -it is vacation. So just curious who has stayed there and what their thoughts are. Also, is this one you should spring for the oceanview or oceanfront rooms? Or are the pool and island view rooms still pretty nice views? Thanks for any input you may have.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Wasn't sure whether to post on the MVCI threads or the Hawaii threads, but decided to post here first. We will be going to Hawaii in the fall and plan to stay at Ko Olina for a week. We were looking at doing a few days on another island since the island hopper flights are pretty reasonable. We have stayed in Maui and Kauai before so were thinking about the Big Island (we have only been there on a cruise). The property looks very nice and the views stunning, but reading mixed reviews of this property. I am OK with not having a full sized kitchen as we generally do bfast and lunch in the room but eat out for dinner -it is vacation. So just curious who has stayed there and what their thoughts are. Also, is this one you should spring for the oceanview or oceanfront rooms? Or are the pool and island view rooms still pretty nice views? Thanks for any input you may have.
We are here now although not at the Marriott, but it is enveloped within the larger complex containing the Hilton Waikoloa Village four areas (not to be confused with the Waikoloa Village, HI which is another place about 25 minutes away).

The island has much to offer but it is ... big... so plan on doing some driving. There have been several threads on "which island to visit" and many of them have detailed reports of this island. Also there are a couple of TUG regulars who live here and I am sure will weigh in, as well as those who have stayed at the Marriott. Our experience with hotel conversion properties (Kauai Beach Club in particular) is that the kitchen is fine. And they often (always?) come with an added bath.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
We stayed at the Marriott Waikaloa in November, but we used Bonvoy points and stayed on the hotel side. It's a combination hotel-and-timeshare property with the hotel rooms in different buildings than the timeshare rooms. Everyone shares the common area facilities I think. It's a nice, though somewhat dated, property, and our room was ok but had a leak in the bathroom resulting in water that came out from under the flooring when you stepped in the right place. I reported it and hopefully they found and fixed the problem before it became a bigger issue.

I can't speak to the timeshare rooms. But the resort has a nice pool complex, a good restaurant with a great breakfast, a bar, etc. It's well located in what I'd call the tourist hotel area of the island where nearly all the high-end hotels are clustered. There are multiple golf courses, two shopping centers with dining options within easy walking distance, it's right on the beach, and you could probably have a good time without venturing out, but you should venture out.

The island is huge and you could spend a week just driving around to see it all. If one of the two active volcanoes is erupting, you'll want to drive to see that if you can. When we were there, both were erupting and you could see the glow from Mauna Loa from the hotel area. We also spent a couple of nights at the Volcano Hotel on the opposite side of the island, inside Volcanoes National Park, which allowed us to see Kilauea's lava at night.

If you've never been to the Big Island I definitely recommend it. All the islands have a different look and personality, but the Big Island is the "most different" in my opinion. Because of past lava flows over the years, nearly all of the undeveloped parts of the island look like some kind of alien landscape. It's stark but beautiful.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
We liked the property, but we used it as a base since we were mostly there to visit Chocolate farm and chocolate.
It is fun to walk and explore the historical ruins around the property.
It is not to me a “stay at the resort“ kind of place. It is nice but not really beach front. The fish ponds are between most of the resort and the beach.
We picked up breakfast for our stay at the bakery. There are grills if you want to cook but plenty of close food.
Island view depends on what you get, this was our island view and I really liked it.

0CACD2ED-76AD-4343-A46A-091C7A446D19.jpeg

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
The island is huge and you could spend a week just driving around to see it all. If one of the two active volcanoes is erupting, you'll want to drive to see that if you can. When we were there, both were erupting and you could see the glow from Mauna Loa from the hotel area. We also spent a couple of nights at the Volcano Hotel on the opposite side of the island, inside Volcanoes National Park, which allowed us to see Kilauea's lava at night.

If you've never been to the Big Island I definitely recommend it. All the islands have a different look and personality, but the Big Island is the "most different" in my opinion. Because of past lava flows over the years, nearly all of the undeveloped parts of the island look like some kind of alien landscape. It's stark but beautiful.
Completely agree. It is hard to really take in the island in 2 or 3 days unless you want to spend a lot of time in your car. The biggest drawback to this general resort area is, since most of it is not on the beach/ocean, it feels like it could be in Scottsdale or Palm Desert. Lots of nice landscaping, golf courses of course, and weather, peaceful condo complexes and 2 shopping centers, but everyone in the shops/restaurants is a tourist. This is not a place where locals ever come except to work. Not true of all of the TS on this island but true for the Hilton and Marriott here.

Last edited:

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We liked the property, but we used it as a base since we were mostly there to visit Chocolate farm and chocolate.
It is fun to walk and explore the historical ruins around the property.
It is not to me a “stay at the resort“ kind of place. It is nice but not really beach front. The fish ponds are between most of the resort and the beach.
We picked up breakfast for our stay at the bakery. There are grills if you want to cook but plenty of close food.
Island view depends on what you get, this was our island view and I really liked it.

View attachment 72956
Pretty nice island view.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the resort isn’t oceanfront, what is the difference between an oceanview room and an oceanfront room? MVCI lists both view types? Are all the hotel and vacation club rooms combined in the main building?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
If the resort isn’t oceanfront, what is the difference between an oceanview room and an oceanfront room? MVCI lists both view types? Are all the hotel and vacation club rooms combined in the main building?
It's as oceanfront as it can be in that location. There are fish ponds between the hotel and the beach, with a little footbridge you walk over. So the hotel property probably sits a couple hundred feet back from the beach. I'd call it oceanfront, but not as oceanfront as some other properties.

So the oceanfront rooms do look out at the ocean, but you have koi ponds in the foreground.

The timeshare rooms are in a different building kind of off to one side of the main building.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
I second this.

Waikaloa itself, IMHO, is not as nice as the other MVC resorts in Hawaii, but I highly recommend visiting the Big Island at least once.

I’ve stayed in an ocean view room and a pool view room at Waikaloa, and I feel the pool view is a better “per point” value.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice. Sounds like there definitely wouldn't be much difference between and ocean view and ocean front room - probably not enough to justify the points difference - and maybe pool or island view are the best bet. And we should plan on at least three days (no less) if we are combining with Ko Olina stay.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
This thread might help:

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in an ocean view 1 bdrm villa in 2019. These pictures were taken from the balcony. The timeshare room was much nicer than the regular hotel rooms. We were in an ocean view hotel room in 2008. We looked directly into another room. The only way to see the ocean was to go onto the balcony, lean forward and turn your head all the way to the right.

When we stayed in the timeshare room we arrived after midnight. Our flight had been cancelled just prior to take off. So we jumped on whatever flight we could get. We thought for sure we would get the bottom of the barrel room. When we woke up the next morning we were thrilled with our room and view. The big island is unlike any of the other Hawaiian islands. Unless you are in Hilo it is not lush and tropical. There are trails to walk on from the resort through the lava fields and also to the Hilton. There is an Island Gourmet store in the shops near the resort (easy walking distance) that has pretty good food. It’s a kicked up ABC store. I’m not sure how many shops in that center survived covid but there was a limited food court in 2019. While you can’t see everything in 3 days I think it would be worthwhile to get a feel for the island.

Attachments

• 0447FCDD-ADD8-4CB9-B619-F1F8432DD1E2.jpeg
    0447FCDD-ADD8-4CB9-B619-F1F8432DD1E2.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 1FBF9D00-4A3C-42EF-AE24-796661FC6AD6.jpeg
    1FBF9D00-4A3C-42EF-AE24-796661FC6AD6.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 47DDEE04-0055-4C56-9323-95D252C46321.jpeg
    47DDEE04-0055-4C56-9323-95D252C46321.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 47

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

We stayed there the year after it opened and enjoyed the resort. We went with a pool view unit and I think it was the best choice for us. The ocean view and ocean front views just didn’t seem as nice as the ocean view from our OV unit at Ko Olina. Sounds like you may have the same itinerary as ours. We love the OV units at MKO and I wouldn’t compare that to the views at the Waikoloa property. It really depends on preference and how many points you want to use. Either way I bet you will enjoy your experience.

Best regards.

Mike

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there the year after it opened and enjoyed the resort. We went with a pool view unit and I think it was the best choice for us. The ocean view and ocean front views just didn’t seem as nice as the ocean view from our OV unit at Ko Olina. Sounds like you may have the same itinerary as ours. We love the OV units at MKO and I wouldn’t compare that to the views at the Waikoloa property. It really depends on preference and how many points you want to use. Either way I bet you will enjoy your experience.

Best regards.

Mike
Thanks - you are correct. We have an Oceanview at Ko Olina for a week. Trying to add an extra 2-3 nights at Big Island since flights are pretty cheap between the islands and Mom hasn’t see the Big Island.

Troyrissa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
We are doing the exact same this fall. A week at Ko Olina then on to the big island. Big island is the only island I haven’t been to. I used Hilton points to stay 2 nights then 2 nights at Marriott Waikoloa. I may try to add 1 more night. The tips on the sights/restaurants have been very helpful. Looks like I will definitely need a rental car.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Found the Cacao farm we visited.
It was wild to go from the moon scape to lush forest.
Honokaa

Also, highly recommend GyPSy Tour App for all the islands. Great to hear about sites but also history of Hawaii.

altiste1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge
Marriott Phuket Beach Club
Wyndham Bali Hai
Also, highly recommend GyPSy Tour App for all the islands. Great to hear about sites but also history of Hawaii.
I wholeheartedly second the recommendation for GyPSy tours. We did that a few weeks ago on Kauai and on Oahu for a day trip there. The tours cover the best beaches (giving inside knowledge on how to get there, where to park, what to avoid, etc), local specialties and restaurants that serve them, history of the islands (which to me caused a great deal of cognitive dissonance for the remainder of the trip, but that’s a topic for another day) and other points of interest. They increased our enjoyment of our driving excursions fivefold. Best $13 I’ve ever spent on a tour.

Incidentally they have similar tours in various spots on the continental US, Canada and Australia.

Jim Mc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: (2) Grand Vista, Ocean Watch Grand Dunes, Waiohai Beach Club, Maui Ocean Club, Playa Andaluza Malaga Spain and 4,500 Abound Club Points (2) Master Villas Mesquite NV
Volcanoes Park and Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour that takes you both to Hilo and Valley of the Kings. Costly but I believe the best money ever spent on the islands.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Kauai Beach Club (2 weeks), Phuket Beach Club, MVCI AP Points, MVCI Destination Points, Beachplace Towers
I am considering visiting in a few months (never been to Big Island).
Planning on getting a car and driving around quite a bit.
Does anyone know whether onsite self parking is complimentary for owners (Presidential) or whether valet is available?

Thanks!

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
I am considering visiting in a few months (never been to Big Island).
Planning on getting a car and driving around quite a bit.
Does anyone know whether onsite self parking is complimentary for owners (Presidential) or whether valet is available?

Thanks!
Onsite parking is complimentary for owners.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha. We have spent one or two weeks per year at Marriotts Waikoloa Ocean Club since the conversion to the timeshare was completed. Last few years and this one coming up it has been Thanksgiving week. We always combine it with a couple more weeks at Waiohai or Ko'Olina. We gave stayed in the pool view rooms and the oceanfront. With the pool view you know you will be looking out across the pools to the ocean. The ocean view can be on the pool side but more likely the other side looking out over the fire pit and BBQ s to the ocean. The one we prefer is oceanfront. The units are large! Close to 1500sf. They put three executive hotel rooms together for the villa.. Two units per floor at the end of the wing facing straight out to the ocean. The pics are from the oceanfront 5th floor balcony last November. The units take more points... but we like it! Also the extra space is great with grandkids running around. The limited kitchen is no problem. There's even an instapot in the cupboard. Lots of dining options without having to go very far. Our island favorites includes Pueo's Osteria (new location is great), Umekes and Merriman's.
Try the Big Island - you will like it! Also Hilo is home of Merrie Monarch coming up in April.
I'm ready to go back!
6d0b75ae9abd5289f24b0d1be68ce5ce.jpg
afc4ef590484c44038b73c6e63bf594f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed on the old Encore Package. As stated the converted units are quite nice. We had. a peek a boo ocean view and overlooked lush grounds close to A Bay beach. The fish ponds are historic and fascinating. What we liked was the free parking, and short walk to both King and Queen Shops.
Big island is our favorite with both green and black beaches, lush rain forests, snow packed mountains and active volcanos. Views nothing like Ko Olina but a completely different experience.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Big island is completely different experience than Oahu. Highly recommended. Resort definitely not as good as Ko Olina, which is one of my favorite, but still good enough for my stay. I prefer Waikoloa than Hilton Kingsland for the oceanview, although Kingsland might be slightly better for the resort facilities. You will love the hiking, black beach’s, green beach and stargazing in big island.