• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Vacation Club Insider Bulletin - Enrollment price going up

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
This is the text from my newest Marriott Vacation Club Insider Bulletin:

"Enroll before the price increase.
If you are a weeks Owner and you haven't yet enrolled in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program or if you've enrolled some but not all of your weeks, don't miss your chance to take advantage of the special introductory rate!

On June 14, the price of enrollment for all eligible* weeks purchased through Marriott Vacation Club International, will increase from $695 to $2,395.
Enrolling doesn't have to change your ownership at all, but it does give you the option of electing Vacation Club Points each year. With Vacation Club Points, you can enjoy enhanced flexibility when staying at Marriott Vacation Club® resorts - choose your preferred check-in day, length of stay, villa size and more. You can also use Vacation Club Points toward cruises and guided tours in popular destinations such as Italy, Ireland, Australia and Costa Rica.
When you enroll now, you'll lock in today's rate, plus you'll receive 800 Vacation Club PlusPoints that can be used for a 2- to 5-night stay at a select Marriott Vacation Club resort (depending on the availability, resort, room type, and season).
Nearly 100,000 Owners have already enrolled and are now enjoying hundreds of new vacation opportunities!
To enroll, visit My-VacationClub.com, call your Sales Executive or contact Owner Services at 800-845-4226."

I do not know if you all get this and thought some might like to see it.

Ray

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
The February Insider newsletter had an announcement, too, and we talked about it in this thread. It's a good idea to keep mentioning it so that no one's caught unawares with the deadline fast approaching.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is I was already going to have to pay the $1950 or so because I had purchased weeks from resale market, does that now go up even more as well or are people like me less effected?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question is I was already going to have to pay the $1950 or so because I had purchased weeks from resale market, does that now go up even more as well or are people like me less effected?

YES, it will go up. If you're going to enroll then you should do it before the new deadline date to take advantage of the initial pricing which was offered back in 2010.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If our only Marriott ownership is a 2BR gold week at Grande Vista (which we use as a trader) and we need to maintain an I.I. membership to trade our Festiva properties, why should we join the DC program? I have been unable see how it might benefit us...especially as we have no interest in partial week exchanges. Am I missing something?
--bp

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If our only Marriott ownership is a 2BR gold week at Grande Vista (which we use as a trader) and we need to maintain an I.I. membership to trade our Festiva properties, why should we join the DC program? I have been unable see how it might benefit us...especially as we have no interest in partial week exchanges. Am I missing something?
--bp

Generally, Bob, enrollment in the DC works best for those who own multiple Weeks and want the flexibility of many non-home usage options with those Weeks, or for those who routinely do several II exchange transactions with a single lock-off Week. In those circumstances it's possible to break even or save on the transaction fees by only having to pay the DC annual dues.

In your situation, especially with having to maintain an II account for non-Marriott ownerships anyway, I'd say that unless you're in the habit of spending hundreds every year to cancel and re-book or re-trade your Marriott lock-off units many times over (which I can't imagine is the case,) then you're on the right track with thinking that DC enrollment of your one Week doesn't make all that much sense.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

YES, it will go up. If you're going to enroll then you should do it before the new deadline date to take advantage of the initial pricing which was offered back in 2010.

I think I'm interpreting Joe's question a little bit differently? Yes, his enrollment fee will increase on 6/14/12 from $1,995 to $2,395. But he's correct that he and others in his situation - those with multiple Weeks including at least one external resale purchased prior to 6/20/10 - will "suffer" much less by the 6/14/12 increase than those who own only one external resale or those who own only direct-purchased Weeks. As of 6/14/12 ALL eligible enrollments will cost $2,395, and up to then there've been various fees which are quite a bit more favorable for owners of direct-purchased Weeks.

The jump in price for Joe and others who own multi external resales is "only" $400. For those who own a single direct-purchase Week the jump is from $595 to $2,395; for those who own multi direct-purchase Weeks, from $695 to $2,395; those who own a single external resale purchased prior to 6/20/10, the jump is $1,495 to $2,395. Definitely direct-purchase owners who are considering enrollment will save substantially if they can make their decision before the price increase.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
--bp

If you lock off every year and trade both sides through II, then there could be a benefit to enrolling in DC. Not sure if you bought resale or direct. If you use the Grande Vista weeks exclusively to trade in to other Marriott's, here is what you are paying every year.

MVCI Lockoff Fee: $80
II Exchange Fee: $119
Total: $318 per year

Minus DC Annual Fee: $165

That would work out to a $153 annual fee savings.

If you bought direct, you would recoup your $595 enrollment fee in a little less than four years. I consider anything less than five years to be a good cutoff on determining if this is a decent deal.

If you bought resale, then you would recoup your $1495 enrollment fee in a little less than 10 years. That would be harder to justify as a lot can change in 10 years. Only you can determine if it works best for you. Remember, even if you enroll you don't ever have to play in points.

Remember, enrolling also gives you "free" reexchanges, so if you reexchange in II then you save another $119 each time (limited to one reexchange per deposit). This I think will be the real benefit for us as we have reexchanged twice in the last two years.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
To add to what Dioxide said you will also get 800 points plus for enrolling. These points will allow you to take a short vacation or add on one of your planned vacations. The value will depend on how you use them. You will also be able to rent club points from other members.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
here is what you are paying every year.

Isn't this analysis missing the hidden exchange fee imposed whenever you deposit for Destination Club points (the "skim")?

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Isn't this analysis missing the hidden exchange fee imposed whenever you deposit for Destination Club points (the "skim")?

But the hidden cost, or "skim" is only a factor if one elects to use DC points, not when trading in weeks/

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If you lock off every year and trade both sides through II, then there could be a benefit to enrolling in DC. Not sure if you bought resale or direct. If you use the Grande Vista weeks exclusively to trade in to other Marriott's, here is what you are paying every year.

If you bought direct, you would recoup your $595 enrollment fee in a little less than four years. I consider anything less than five years to be a good cutoff on determining if this is a decent deal.

If you bought resale, then you would recoup your $1495 enrollment fee in a little less than 10 years. That would be harder to justify as a lot can change in 10 years. Only you can determine if it works best for you. Remember, even if you enroll you don't ever have to play in points.

Remember, enrolling also gives you "free" reexchanges, so if you reexchange in II then you save another $119 each time (limited to one reexchange per deposit). This I think will be the real benefit for us as we have reexchanged twice in the last two years.

OK. Now let's assume we trade our Grande vista 2BR unit for another Marriott property about 2/3 the time...and 2/3 of those trades do not involve locking off. And let's add in the fact that we must pay to maintain an I.I. membership in order to trade our Festiva properties. How does the analysis look then?

(FWIW, we purchased directly from Marriott. Our most recent Marriott trade was our 2BR unit for a 3BR unit at Marbella. Our previous Marriott trades were our 2BR unit for a 2BR unit at Frenchman's Cove, our 2BR unit for a 2BR at SurfWatch, and a split trade for a 1BR at Aruba Ocean Club + an efficiency unit at Kauai Beach Club.)

I'm having difficulty seeing how we would become better off by joining the DC.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the text from my newest Marriott Vacation Club Insider Bulletin:

"Enroll before the price increase.
If you are a weeks Owner and you haven't yet enrolled in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program or if you've enrolled some but not all of your weeks, don't miss your chance to take advantage of the special introductory rate!

On June 14, the price of enrollment for all eligible* weeks purchased through Marriott Vacation Club International, will increase from $695 to $2,395.
Enrolling doesn't have to change your ownership at all, but it does give you the option of electing Vacation Club Points each year. With Vacation Club Points, you can enjoy enhanced flexibility when staying at Marriott Vacation Club® resorts - choose your preferred check-in day, length of stay, villa size and more. You can also use Vacation Club Points toward cruises and guided tours in popular destinations such as Italy, Ireland, Australia and Costa Rica.
When you enroll now, you'll lock in today's rate, plus you'll receive 800 Vacation Club PlusPoints that can be used for a 2- to 5-night stay at a select Marriott Vacation Club resort (depending on the availability, resort, room type, and season).
Nearly 100,000 Owners have already enrolled and are now enjoying hundreds of new vacation opportunities!
To enroll, visit My-VacationClub.com, call your Sales Executive or contact Owner Services at 800-845-4226."

I do not know if you all get this and thought some might like to see it.

Ray

I would be interested in the numbers of owners who remain purely legacy week owners, those who are enrolled legacy week owners who have not bought any trust points, those who have only trust points, and those who are enrolled owners who in addition have bought trust points.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I got the call yesterday from a sales rep who couldn't believe I hadn't yet been called by someone to 'sign me up' for the new program. She said it was a no brainer to join (hate that expression) as I had 6 weeks and would automatically be platinum or something. I said I already book 13 months ahead for my weeks, so why should I pay to join something I won't use? She said 'because the price is going up' and I'll be sorry later.

When I asked her how many DC points would I get for 2 Manor Club weeks to use July 4th week and how many DC points I'd need to get them on points, she said I obviously knew more about the program than I was indicating and wouldn't answer. When I told her I had no interest in the DC points and never would, she said that was really the only reason she called --- she makes no money converting me into the program unless I bought DC points so the discussion was over.

Brian

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
OK. Now let's assume we trade our Grande vista 2BR unit for another Marriott property about 2/3 the time...and 2/3 of those trades do not involve locking off. And let's add in the fact that we must pay to maintain an I.I. membership in order to trade our Festiva properties. How does the analysis look then?

(FWIW, we purchased directly from Marriott. Our most recent Marriott trade was our 2BR unit for a 3BR unit at Marbella. Our previous Marriott trades were our 2BR unit for a 2BR unit at Frenchman's Cove, our 2BR unit for a 2BR at SurfWatch, and a split trade for a 1BR at Aruba Ocean Club + an efficiency unit at Kauai Beach Club.)

I'm having difficulty seeing how we would become better off by joining the DC.

This is why everyone needs to look at enrollment on an individual basis. It isn't a one size fits all. There are many reasons for joining or not joining.

For your situation the annual DC fee of $165 would outweigh any savings you would get on enrollment. It would cost you more to enroll than to continue to use your weeks as you are. A single week owner that trades a single week every year would be hard pressed to save on fees. The only reason to join is if you see value in the flexibility of points.

The only time I might see some value for a single week owner would be for owners of a 3BR non lock off unit. They may be able to get more value out of points than in many cases having to trade down and suffer the skim that does also exist in II.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'm interpreting Joe's question a little bit differently? Yes, his enrollment fee will increase on 6/14/12 from $1,995 to $2,395. But he's correct that he and others in his situation - those with multiple Weeks including at least one external resale purchased prior to 6/20/10 - will "suffer" much less by the 6/14/12 increase than those who own only one external resale or those who own only direct-purchased Weeks. As of 6/14/12 ALL eligible enrollments will cost $2,395, and up to then there've been various fees which are quite a bit more favorable for owners of direct-purchased Weeks.

The jump in price for Joe and others who own multi external resales is "only" $400. For those who own a single direct-purchase Week the jump is from $595 to $2,395; for those who own multi direct-purchase Weeks, from $695 to $2,395; those who own a single external resale purchased prior to 6/20/10, the jump is $1,495 to $2,395. Definitely direct-purchase owners who are considering enrollment will save substantially if they can make their decision before the price increase.

When the actual increase occurs why don't you think $2,395 will be the base entry for developer weeks and then an additional comparable charge for non-developer weeks? What am I missing in the announcement that says it will be $2,395 for a combination of developer and non-developer weeks.

Thanks,
Suzzanne

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When the actual increase occurs why don't you think $2,395 will be the base entry for developer weeks and then an additional comparable charge for non-developer weeks? What am I missing in the announcement that says it will be $2,395 for a combination of developer and non-developer weeks.

Thanks,
Suzzanne

I think there was some communication with some VOA when the increase was first announced back in February. Those discussions indicated that it was an all in price, regardless of how your week(s) were acquired or how many you were enrolling.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks,
Suzzanne

In the thread that I linked in Post #2, above, a couple TUGgers posted that a VOA and a Customer Advocacy rep both confirmed that the price increase to $2,395 on 6/14/12 will apply to all enrollments. I guess it's possible that they could be wrong, but I'm inclined to believe it because otherwise, wouldn't Marriott have announced all the price increases at the same time?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
The new head of customer advocacy had emailed me that it was the new price for all enrollments.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just one more tidbit that slipped past me. :rolleyes: