• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Vacation Club - 3500 points

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Or a bundle package of a points generator resale week with points. I will bet the OP has no idea he can buy a bundle package and possibly save a bundle. There are many options.

This is a good option too. He could perhaps buy a 1BR Hawaii week AND some points...all from Marriott which will allow his week to be enrolled in the DC....and perhaps be in cheaper than he would be with all DC points. Worth asking Marriott about that option as well.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind.

I made the same purchase in August and as a result of this site, I rescinded immediately.

I subsequently researched and put in an offer to buy the same 3500 points on the resale market for about half of my final Marriott price. yes, I forego the Marriott Rewards points but if you think about it 100,000 points gets you 3 nights in a Residence Inn. My purchase is in the ROFR review process now, we will see what happens in the coming weeks.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
mwt1980 have you fully read the Sticky "FAQ - MVC DESTINATIONS Points Program"?

That's a great place to learn a lot more about the points program. Click HERE to read and learn.

mwt1980

Reaction score
Wow...lots of great feedback. The only reason i would finance this is to try and refinance it and get cheap money or pay off Q1 next year. We are a young family, i am 33, lots of vacationing ahead.

That said, i think i am going to rescind and do a little more research maybe buy something aftermarket. Looks like i have a lot of figuring out to do with buying, trading, renting, etc.:ponder:

Bill4728

Reaction score
If you buy a resale TS from Westin or Marriott you'll have little problem exchanging into Hawaii in a really great TS. For about $5000 you should be able to buy a great TS in either company and trade into Hawaii with ease.

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
We own two weeks at Marriott's Ko Olina every other year. Made the mistake of buying the first week from Marriott (but it was several years ago, and if we bought the points equivalent to the week it would cost more now and higher maintenance fees too I think).

I really wanted a second week, since going all the way from the East Coast we never go to Hawaii for just one week. I spent over a year using coupons (yes, extremely efficiently) and saved over $8,000 up. I found a second week EOY for sale and contacted the broker (he's in Hawaii and was very professional) and got it for $5,000. It was a surprise for my husband for our 20th anniversary - we figured with two kids eventually we can let each of them use a week sometimes.

Bottom line, I spent about 1/5 for the second week than I spent for the first.

No regrets here though - we have used so many II getaways that have saved us thousands. Also traded the studio the first year we used the unit (the one bedroom was fine for the 4 of us then, but now we use the full 2 bedroom as kids are both teens and we like the space) and we got a great week at the Four Seasons in Scottsdale (with daily maid service) in a two bedroom unit (early June - beautiful weather). Hawaii units can make great trades (but we plan on mostly using it to go back to Hawaii).

I would suggest looking at buying a good platinum week, somewhere that you would mostly like to vacation, resale. Do your research first (wish I had, but we do love what we own).

Best of luck to you!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Don't rule out the points program via the resale market. Look into StevenTing's resale point contact he mentioned in post # 9. Buying 2000 points resale and then renting additonal points as needed allows you the flexibility of booking destination/room size/time of year based on your needs today, with the added flexibility of being able to adapt to lifestyle changes 10 or 20 years down the road as your vacation needs may change. It may still be a bit pricier than a resale week, but it does give you some added flexibility.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Glad you're taking our advice to rescind and spend some time figuring out what will be best for you in the long run. Keep in mind that you have a young family- which may mean it might grow, and definitely means your needs will change. School schedules will alter your vacation tine frames. With older kids you may find that a 2BR becomes more appealing. If you opt to buy a resale week, you might want to strongly consider a 2BR- lock-off now and only use the 1BR side if you want; you can exchange the studio side perhaps for another week, you can rent it, or invite Grandma and Grandpa along- great for the kids, great for the family, and gives you some free time too perhaps. One of the best things about timesharing for many of us is the opportunity to take family and friends along and create priceless memories that we might otherwise not have done.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
the bottom line for me is WHAT YOU GOT for the purchase price....

a lousy 3500 points.

That will NOT get you a decent beach week in summer, a Fall week in the mountains, or a ski week in winter. Take a hard look at the resorts and their seasons which you can get for that.....you'll find it's mostly shoulder season.

Rescind yesterday.

for $35,000 you could buy 4 FANTASTIC PLATINUM weeks at great resorts, and your options would be quadrupled. Trading, despite some people's concerns, would get you most everything you want....and that being platinum season stays!

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Thoughts???

Thank you in advance for your help!

You can see the common thread in your posting, rescind while you still have time and learn about the sytem and rethink your options. Shadow Ridge is a beautiful resort and Marriott has great timeshares. You can probably buy that same unit resale during prime season for $5000 a year, and trade to Hawaii very easily. That option is less costly than going the points options. You need to learn about both the points system and just owning one week at a resort.

We purchased resale at Desert Spring Villas 7 years ago and have traded into Hawaii at least 5 times.

Lots to learn, then you can make an educated decision. Great job on finding this web site. There are plenty of real timeshare junkies here with lots of good advice. This posting of yours can save you at least $25k by rescinding.

Also think real hard about financing a timeshare purchase. My thoughts are I wouldn't finance more than $10K to buy a timeshare, and only assuming I could pay it off quickly (within a few years).

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
the bottom line for me is WHAT YOU GOT for the purchase price....

a lousy 3500 points.

That will NOT get you a decent beach week in summer, a Fall week in the mountains, or a ski week in winter. Take a hard look at the resorts and their seasons which you can get for that.....you'll find it's mostly shoulder season.

Rescind yesterday.

for $35,000 you could buy 4 FANTASTIC PLATINUM weeks at great resorts, and your options would be quadrupled. Trading, despite some people's concerns, would get you most everything you want....and that being platinum season stays!

I don't know about the Fall or Winter but 3500 points will definitely get you an oceanfront beach week in the summer at Ocean Pointe or Frenchmans Cove.

Now you won't get four plat weeks at either of those resorts for $35,000 but if you did your MFs would run between $6000 and $8000.

mwt1980

Reaction score
Yep...glad I found the site. Sending the rescind letter overnight Fedex today. Was also thinking about scanning and emailing all parties as well....is this a good approach?...I don't want any funny business with the letter.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep...glad I found the site. Sending the rescind letter overnight Fedex today. Was also thinking about scanning and emailing all parties as well....is this a good approach?...I don't want any funny business with the letter.

Fedex is overkill, and technically it might not conform to the rescission instructions in your packet. USPS with delivery confirmation is plenty. The scanning and email thing is prob unnecessary and may invite more folks to call you and hound you to change your mind. I would suggest keeping it simple. You can rest assured that Marriott will refund and cancel everything.

mwt1980

Reaction score
Sounds good...Fedex is just easy to do from work...All the contract says is deliver in writting to this address.....

I actually liked the sales people so i think i want to email them as well....my mind is made up. If they call i will just say can't afford it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds good...Fedex is just easy to do from work...All the contract says is deliver in writting to this address.....

I actually liked the sales people so i think i want to email them as well....my mind is made up. If they call i will just say can't afford it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

FedEx might be easy from work --- BUT IT MIGHT NOT BE LEGAL for rescinding the contract in the eyes of that state's laws.

So I would rather be legal than to find out that EASY just cost you LOTS and LOTS of your money.

Certified Mail with Return Receipt is LEGAL in the USA - in all 50 states.

mwt1980

Reaction score
hmmmm....okay but it doesn't say how it has to be mailed....i already sent it, are we certain it won't be okay? the contract doesn't say anything about mailing a certain way.

mwt1980

Reaction score
Okay...Got it back. Going to send certified. Does the letter look okay?

Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc.
New Owner Administration
9000 Shadow Ridge Rd.
Palm Desert, CA 92260

To Whom It May Concern:

We (MY Name) and (Wife’s Name) are writing to inform you, within our 10 day cancelation period that we wish to rescind our recent purchase on 09/28/2013 of the beneficial trusts in the Marriott Vacation Club Trust. Beneficial Interest(s) Numbers B9……….. Please refund our deposit of $2,777.00 made on our Visa Credit Card ending in **** and please cancel the contract ASAP.

We appreciate all the time spent by the sales associates and Marriott. We will continue to stay at Marriott properties but we have decided that this is not the right program for our family.

Kindest Regards,

Me

My Wife

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
deleted***********

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I don't know about the Fall or Winter but 3500 points will definitely get you an oceanfront beach week in the summer at Ocean Pointe or Frenchmans Cove.

Now you won't get four plat weeks at either of those resorts for $35,000 but if you did your MFs would run between $6000 and $8000.

High season (platinum) was what I was referring to, not gold or silver, and those you mentioned are GOLD weeks. That's the point I was addressing. 3500 will get very little in high season, and frankly, he would have to rent more points to get what he thought he might be getting. Have you seen the charts for platinum weeks at most resorts?

For $35,000 I think I'd at LEAST want to be able to get a week somewhere in high season, wouldn't you?

But a platinum ownership week somewhere WILL trade for a platinum week at OP and FC. Harder, but doable. And if he buys a lockoff, he can use a split unit to trade to OP and FC in summer (which you'd have spent 3500 points on), and still have an extra trader to use.

I have seen platinum weeks at Ocean Pointe for $7000-9000. Frenchman's Cove is not one of those I suggested for Platinum purchase, but again, that was NEVER my point. My point was buying those select resorts whose platinum weeks sell for that range which might give someone 4 weeks, and 3 for sure, for that $35,000 outlay. Not all four weeks would be for occupying....some for trading. Trading would then qualify for additional XYZ weeks which cost $174 each, which could get decent off-season weeks.

and some Marriott platinum weeks sell for $2000-3000, which might free up some cash to get that $10,000-$12,000 one. check around, I have.

and 4 weeks of MF's would run about $4000-5500 tops.

My whole point was telling him exactly what he was GETTING for that 3500 points, and it's darn little. Like I said, shoulder season.

Splitting up 3500 points to use in different scenarios would be even more ridiculous. The scheme is that they want the purchaser to return to buy MORE points once he figures out he can't do much with the 3500.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
FedEx might be easy from work --- BUT IT MIGHT NOT BE LEGAL for rescinding the contract in the eyes of that state's laws.

So I would rather be legal than to find out that EASY just cost you LOTS and LOTS of your money.

Certified Mail with Return Receipt is LEGAL in the USA - in all 50 states.

I would agree, even Certified mail may not be good. Technically the receiver can refuse delivery and not sign for the package. The best way is United States Postal Service First Class Mail. You can obtain electronic proof of delivery for piece of mind if you wish.

mwt1980

Reaction score
Here come the calls....maybe i shouldn't have sent the email:annoyed:

Oh well sticking to my guns, simply gonna say i can't afford it or should i just ignore?

She did mention in her VM that she needed to ask me some questions before she could process it :ponder:

Last edited:

mwt1980

Reaction score
just talked to her....she said no problem and that contracts had my email and that they would move forward with the cancellation ASAP.

pretty professional group at Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
just talked to her....she said no problem and that contracts had my email and that they would move forward with the cancellation ASAP.

pretty professional group at Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert.

Be sure to still send the physical letter if you haven't already. Better safe than sorry.