• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Trader-Where to buy?

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently only own Vistana, but want to get an inexpensive trader to dip my toe in the Marriott system. From what I can tell, MGC is one of the lowest maintenance traders, is this correct? I was also looking at the Palm Springs/Desert resorts. I would never use a Vegas week, but would potentially use a week in Palm Springs or Palm Desert. Is this something that should be considered? I also would want a lock off unit so I can get two deposits out of a week. My main goal is to exchange to Hawaii, and am flexible on travel dates. I know my current vistana trader (SDO) will see some Marriott studios and one beds, but would like to have a chance at 2 beds that never seem to make it out of M preference. Based on this, what would be my best location to own at? There may be other options out there that may work, so don't hesitate to suggest somewhere else.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are all good choices. Love the Desert properties. Many here would tell you to own ideally a place you might use, so, that would make the desert better for you. Do you already have a non corporate II account? If not, then, you'll need another II account and the associated expenses. I own at Desert Springs and have exchanged into Hawaii with the studio lockoff quite a few times, including March/April this year. Various seasons.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I own at Desert Springs and have exchanged into Hawaii with the studio lockoff quite a few times, including March/April this year. Various seasons.
I also own in the desert. I‘m at Ko Olina now in a 2BR on a manual II trade for my DSV-I lockoff. Will trade for Maui once my manual search gets a hit on the bulk deposit, likely Apr/May or Sep/Oct arrival. I also got into Aruba Surf 2BR Oceanside in June with my 1BR.

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a non corporate II account already, so I have already incurred the membership fees associated with having that account. Are all the desert 2 bedrooms lockoffs? Is Desert Springs better then Shadow ridge?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Grand Chateau in Vegas is Platinum all year, has reasonable maintenance fees and unless things changed, Marriott is not exercising right of first refusal. I picked up an EYO 2 br for 1800 a number of years ago. It is a pure trader. I trade as a studio and one bedroom. Great trades. If I was to do it again, I would have picked up a 3 br. I believe it is the only 3 br that trades as a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom. I am sure you will get other great ideas.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a non corporate II account already, so I have already incurred the membership fees associated with having that account. Are all the desert 2 bedrooms lockoffs? Is Desert Springs better then Shadow ridge?

Subjective, I think it is, but some would disagree. I believe DSV1 also does not have ROFR. That's great you already have an account, makes it "cheaper". They are all, as far as I know at Desert Springs, 2BR lockoffs.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
DSVI does not have ROFR. Just purchased there after 3 Shadow Ridge Platinum attempts. 2bdrm Platinum Desert were going for 4.5k late last yr.
I went with Desert because we would actually use It. Plus we own other traders that can get us to Hawaii

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you plan to use it as a trader, with priority and discounted exchanges through II extended to Vistana, no need to buy a Marriott. The change in priority happened in the last week or so. You may be able to see those 2 BR units now.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently only own Vistana, but want to get an inexpensive trader to dip my toe in the Marriott system. From what I can tell, MGC is one of the lowest maintenance traders, is this correct? I was also looking at the Palm Springs/Desert resorts. I would never use a Vegas week, but would potentially use a week in Palm Springs or Palm Desert. Is this something that should be considered? I also would want a lock off unit so I can get two deposits out of a week. My main goal is to exchange to Hawaii, and am flexible on travel dates. I know my current vistana trader (SDO) will see some Marriott studios and one beds, but would like to have a chance at 2 beds that never seem to make it out of M preference. Based on this, what would be my best location to own at? There may be other options out there that may work, so don't hesitate to suggest somewhere else.
I much prefer seeing someone who buys in new to get something they also might use. Anything can be a trader but I have my list of the ones I tend to suggest as such. If you plan on possibly buying other Marriott weeks, the Thursday start day can be a benefit. Another consideration is whether you might enroll it at some point. When looking at traders I consider price, fees, lockout's and the like. I only recommend platinum weeks except in one instance I'll mention below. The resorts I tend to recommend at Grand Vista, Harbour Lake, Manor Club, Grand Chateau, Willow Ridge and desert Weeks (CA & AZ). The desert resorts are the only ones I tend to recommend Gold. It is my opinion that there is quite a range of trade power across these resorts but it may not matter if you're flexible given the internal priority as well. WR will be the cheapest dues, GC likely second cheapest. WR and Manor Club are likely the lowest traders of the group and the week reserved will likely be more important than some of the rest. GC 3 BR will give you more flexibility in trading due to the second portion trading as a 1 BR rather than a studio. If I was mainly trying to get to HI I'd likely just buy a week at Ko Olina or Maui but if you're very flexible, not tied to school calendars, can travel shoulder season and don't need a 2 BR consistently, you might be able to make it work just trading. I've traded to HI a number of times including 2 large 3 week trips with multiple units so it is workable with planning and effort.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

What Vistana resort do you currently own? Where do you want to go?

You can follow the Sightings private forum to see how the new priority Vistana/Marriott plays out. We will probably know in the next 2-3 months. Marriott still ranks at the top of the MVC priority but Vistana comes next. I am a Vistana owner myself and it appears that I can see many more Marriott than before. In the last year I have successfully traded into Renaissance Aruba 1bdr, Marriott Ko Olina 2 bdr (twice) , Marriott Ocean Club 2 bdr, Marriott Kaua'i Beach Club 1bdr. The Vistana traders are even cheaper that the Marriott traders (both initial cost and MF) and if they satisfy your needs you may want to add another Vistana to your portfolio.

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I much prefer seeing someone who buys in new to get something they also might use. Anything can be a trader but I have my list of the ones I tend to suggest as such. If you plan on possibly buying other Marriott weeks, the Thursday start day can be a benefit. Another consideration is whether you might enroll it at some point. When looking at traders I consider price, fees, lockout's and the like. I only recommend platinum weeks except in one instance I'll mention below. The resorts I tend to recommend at Grand Vista, Harbour Lake, Manor Club, Grand Chateau, Willow Ridge and desert Weeks (CA & AZ). The desert resorts are the only ones I tend to recommend Gold. It is my opinion that there is quite a range of trade power across these resorts but it may not matter if you're flexible given the internal priority as well. WR will be the cheapest dues, GC likely second cheapest. WR and Manor Club are likely the lowest traders of the group and the week reserved will likely be more important than some of the rest. GC 3 BR will give you more flexibility in trading due to the second portion trading as a 1 BR rather than a studio. If I was mainly trying to get to HI I'd likely just buy a week at Ko Olina or Maui but if you're very flexible, not tied to school calendars, can travel shoulder season and don't need a 2 BR consistently, you might be able to make it work just trading. I've traded to HI a number of times including 2 large 3 week trips with multiple units so it is workable with planning and effort.

Thanks for your input! My ultimate goal is to probably buy at Maui Ocean Club, but don't want to spend the money yet. (I would likely buy oceanfront) We are flexible so shoulder season is fine. We have several young children, but don't bring them on every vacation. If I was able to get a two bedroom, then that's a trip kids would get to go on. I'm not in a rush to buy anything yet, but have decided to start doing more research.

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
What Vistana resort do you currently own? Where do you want to go?

You can follow the Sightings private forum to see how the new priority Vistana/Marriott plays out. We will probably know in the next 2-3 months. Marriott still ranks at the top of the MVC priority but Vistana comes next. I am a Vistana owner myself and it appears that I can see many more Marriott than before. In the last year I have successfully traded into Renaissance Aruba 1bdr, Marriott Ko Olina 2 bdr (twice) , Marriott Ocean Club 2 bdr, Marriott Kaua'i Beach Club 1bdr. The Vistana traders are even cheaper that the Marriott traders (both initial cost and MF) and if they satisfy your needs you may want to add another Vistana to your portfolio.

I currently own Sheraton Desert Oasis that I use to trade. It has gotten me good trades so far. (2x 2 bedroom at Nanea and 1 bed at Marriott Kauai Beach Club) As nanea sells, I think those 2 bedroom deposits are going to start to dry up. I will be following the sightings and searching on II to see how the new priority plays out. Did you get the MKO and MOC 2 beds through OGS or manual searching? How long before the travel date did you get them? and what month are/were the weeks you got? Thanks

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently own Sheraton Desert Oasis that I use to trade. It has gotten me good trades so far. (2x 2 bedroom at Nanea and 1 bed at Marriott Kauai Beach Club) As nanea sells, I think those 2 bedroom deposits are going to start to dry up. I will be following the sightings and searching on II to see how the new priority plays out. Did you get the MKO and MOC 2 beds through OGS or manual searching? How long before the travel date did you get them? and what month are/were the weeks you got? Thanks
I have gotten them through manual searches 10-12 months before check in, November-December. I have seen other months available but did not book due to other considerations.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Those are all good choices. Love the Desert properties. Many here would tell you to own ideally a place you might use, so, that would make the desert better for you. Do you already have a non corporate II account? If not, then, you'll need another II account and the associated expenses. I own at Desert Springs and have exchanged into Hawaii with the studio lockoff quite a few times, including March/April this year. Various seasons.
WHat if you have a corporate II account with a mandatory property but paid for Platinum membership? Would I be able to add a voluntary resort to that membership? Can voluntary resorts be placed in an RCI account?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Have you thought of giving it some time to see how the new priority within II for MVC and VSE members will change availability with that SDO unit? I’d wait to see how the priority status changes things before buying another unit just to trade.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
WHat if you have a corporate II account with a mandatory property but paid for Platinum membership? Would I be able to add a voluntary resort to that membership? Can voluntary resorts be placed in an RCI account?
You can not add a voluntary resort (that is not enrolled in VSE) to a corporate membership. You would need to purchase another II membership and it would not be platinum unless you paid to upgrade that one too. Most voluntary resorts are dual affiliated so if they are not enrolled in VSE (not in points) they can be placed in an rci account.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You can not add a voluntary resort (that is not enrolled in VSE) to a corporate membership. You would need to purchase another II membership and it would not be platinum unless you paid to upgrade that one too. Most voluntary resorts are dual affiliated so if they are not enrolled in VSE (not in points) they can be placed in an rci account.
Even a Westin? Ideally looking for a high value trader in RCI. I would think a Westin would be a good one if I can be placed in RCI.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even a Westin? Ideally looking for a high value trader in RCI. I would think a Westin would be a good one if I can be placed in RCI.
No. I think the original section (or one of the older sections) of WSJ is the only Westin that is dual affiliated with RCI and II. Even if they did, if you broke them down by MF to tpu's they wouldn't be a good trader in RCI.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! My ultimate goal is to probably buy at Maui Ocean Club, but don't want to spend the money yet. (I would likely buy oceanfront) We are flexible so shoulder season is fine. We have several young children, but don't bring them on every vacation. If I was able to get a two bedroom, then that's a trip kids would get to go on. I'm not in a rush to buy anything yet, but have decided to start doing more research.
IF that's your goal, I'd just save up and buy there rather than trying to do an interim step. That is unless you want to own a trader AND Maui and in that case I'd consider limiting my trader choices to WR, GV, HL & the desert resorts that have a Thursday check in.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry to diverge on this thread ... I only have 5 timeshares through Vistana that I purchased through developer or Mandatory Resale ... does that mean that I have a corporate membership to II? If I bought a resale Marriott or voluntary Vistana I would have to buy a second membership for that week???

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have 3 interval accounts. 2 are corporate (different developers) and one I pay for myself. I rarely use my corporate accounts, usually using the internal network but my club fees pay for those accounts.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Interval Membership cost $64 per year plus exchange fees, sometimes they have discounts