• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott - thinking about buying an inexpensive week; have questions

Keep Traveling

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a Marriott Timeshare and would like a little help.

I currently live in the Orlando area. At this point because I am so new to timeshare I don't want to spend a lot of up front money but I understand the difference between the Up Front vs. MFs. I am looking to spend under 3k upfront with current prices right now.

So here are my questions.

1. You have to trade for the same season you purchase.
2. They have 3 seasons
3. To trade for other seasons by buying any marriott gives you and advantage in II for seeing other Marriott before other people
4. Is it better to buy outside Orlando. Because Orlando is easier to trade in to.
5. Is a lockoff a good deal, as you can trade the lock off portion?
6. Is there any advantage to picking home resort if you will mostly being using it for trade. I've look at Desert Palms, Hilton Head, Branson
7. Why is Colorado (Vail) so cheap sometimes

Thanks,
KT

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents in Blue

I am looking at purchasing a Marriott Timeshare and would like a little help.

I currently live in the Orlando area. At this point because I am so new to timeshare I don't want to spend a lot of up front money but I understand the difference between the Up Front vs. MFs. I am looking to spend under 3k upfront with current prices right now.

So here are my questions.

No. You trade for what's available, but owners with stronger weeks get dibs.

2. They have 3 seasons

Some have 4, some have 1. I believe Hawaii is platinum all year.

3. To trade for other seasons by buying any marriott gives you and advantage in II for seeing other Marriott before other people

I think we have a 29 day advantage - give or take.

4. Is it better to buy outside Orlando. Because Orlando is easier to trade in to.

This is the common wisdom - but some Orlando Marriott weeks are hard to get, e.g., Spring Break.

Yes.

6. Is there any advantage to picking home resort if you will mostly being using it for trade. I've look at Desert Palms, Hilton Head, Branson

Your home resort, size of unit, and week reserved will determine your trading power.

Probably because they are off season weeks.

Thanks,
KT

Bon Chance,
Charles

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No. You must reserve a week to use or to exchange in the season you own. But you can exchange into any week at any resort that II deems to be a "comparable exchange" (more on comparable exchanges later). The "seasons are designated by Marriott for sales and reservation purposes. They have no specific significance for exchanging.
2. They have 3 seasons
Some Marriott resorts have a single season (usually Platinum) and others have as many as five seasons, including one or more fixed week seasons. See this link to one of the FAQs for this forum for more info on Marriott seasons. You should also look at the other FAQs (located at the top of the list of topics for this Marriott forum) to learn more about Marriott timeshares.
3. To trade for other seasons by buying any Marriott gives you and advantage in II for seeing other Marriott before other people
Yes, it does. But that doesn't mean you'll get the trade you want. For example, assume you buy an off-season (e.g., Silver) week at a Marriott resort and want to exchange into Hilton Head's Grande Ocean for 4th of July week. It's likely that other Marriott owners who have deposited with II weeks that are more in demand (e.g., high-demand Platinum and Gold weeks) will get those great G.O weeks.

That's because II generally confirms exchanges on a comparable exchange basis. “Comparable exchange” means that the two weeks are reasonable comparable considering a variety of factors including location, time of year (holiday, high season, etc.), how far in advance you deposited, how far in advance you made your request, how much in demand your week and the week you want are and how many of the weeks that you want are deposited by their owners. The higher the demand is for the week you deposit, the more likely it is that II will deem your dream vacation request to be a comparable exchange and confirm it for you.

However, if you can travel to resorts when it's off-season at those resorts, a poor trader might well suit you. Trying to keep your purchase price under $3,000 probably fits in that category. Don't make the mistake of buying an off-season Marriott week if you expect to trade to top resorts in peak season. You'll get lucky occasionally, but it won't be something you can count on.
I would buy outside of Orlando for two reasons.

First, most of us would usually recommend that you buy where you would be happy vacationing at least every other year or so. That's partly because requested exchanges are never a certainty. Whether the week you want will be confirmed depends not only on the comparable exchange criteria, but also on whether owners of the weeks you want deposit enough of them for you to get a confirmed exchange.

Second, you hit it right. Orlando is relatively easy to trade into. So buy a week in another area where you would be happy vacationing. My guess is that wouldn't be in the Orlando area, since you live there.
Yes, a lockoff allows you to deposit each portion of the unit and confirm two separate weeks of vacation.
See #4.
StreamSide is an older resort that has some weeks (e.g., "Preferred" season) that are not attractive to most vacationers. How many people want to vacation in the mountains when ski season is over, school isn't out yet and it's still too cold to enjoy the beauty and activities of summer? Those weeks would likely be among the worst traders in Marriott's portfolio.

That's true of other Marriotts, too. If you buy an off-season week, likely necessary if you want to spend under $3,000, you'll probably have a weak-trading week.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
One thing about buying Marriott in Orlando. The Disney Vacation Club -DVC TSs have just said that they are switching from II to RCI. That means that the nicest TS in Orlando thru II will be the Marriotts & Sheratons TSs. IMHO, this means that trading power of these TS will be much higher than they were before DVC left II. So it may be a good deal to purchase a lock-off at Marriott's Grand Vista in Orlando if you can get it at a cheap enough price.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
One thing about buying Marriott in Orlando. The Disney Vacation Club -DVC TSs have just said that they are switching from II to RCI. That means that the nicest TS in Orlando thru II will be the Marriotts & Sheratons TSs. IMHO, this means that trading power of these TS will be much higher than they were before DVC left II. So it may be a good deal to purchase a lock-off at Marriott's Grand Vista in Orlando if you can get it at a cheap enough price.

Good point, Bill. I had that same thought about Marriott and Sheraton in Orlando.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I wondered this myself when it was mentioned in another thread. Though it has me thinking. II used a demand index. Is this demand index used in their formula for trading power? If so, the demand index is based strictly on the Orlando region and not the resorts. Reading the II directory it doesn't sound like the demand index changes a lot as it was actually created along with an outside consultant and not just by II. Now if II bases trading power strictly on current and historical data and not only the demand index that may be several years old then this may be true. I won't get my hopes up that my MGV week will start pulling prime HHI weeks.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are correct. The Demand Index is not dynamic. It changes only occasionally - often less frequently than once a year - as II determines the historical demand in a particular geographic area has changed for a particular week. And, yes, the Orlando area index is solely for Orlando and cannot be compared to an index in (for example) Hilton Head. Note however, that the demand is only one of many factors that determine trading power. The quality of the resort is one of the other factors. From II:
. II, therefore, in order to achieve its goal of providing the Member with
an exchange experience comparable to that which the Home Resort
provides, assigns a priority to each request based on the following
factors:
(a) The supply of and demand for, within the Exchange Program,
the vacation week deposited (Deposit First) or being offered in
exchange (Request First), and the Home Resort.
(b) The supply of and demand for, within the Exchange Program, the
vacation week and Member Resort being requested in exchange.
(c) The quality, facilities, and overall experience offered by the Home
Resort as compared to the quality, facilities, and overall experience
of the Member Resort being requested in exchange. This is based
on evaluation forms received from exchange guests to the Home
Resort, resort inspections and evaluations, and other information
received by II regarding the Home Resort.
(d) When the exchange request is received by II. The earlier of two
identical requests for the same vacation week with identical
relinquishment will receive priority.
(e) The amount of time in advance of the first date of occupancy at
which the Home Resort vacation week is relinquished to II.
(f) The unit type and private sleeping capacity being relinquished as
compared to the unit type and private sleeping capacity being
requested. The priority established for exchange requests is based
on the number of persons that the deposited or to-be-relinquished
Home Resort unit will accommodate privately. The number of
persons accommodated privately is generally determined on the
basis of two people per private sleeping area having access to a
bathroom. Such bathroom access must not interfere with the privacy
of the people who occupy the unit’s other private sleeping areas.

All of the above factors, with the exceptions of when the Home Resort
accommodations are relinquished, when a request is received, and the
unit type and private sleeping capacity, are constantly changing and are
updated by II on an ongoing basis.
Thus, the high quality of your MGV resort is a significant factor that makes it possible to get confirmed exchanges to prime Hilton Head weeks, especially if you offer II one of the weeks in your season that the Travel Demand Index shows to be relatively high compared to other weeks, deposit your week early and make your exchange request at least a full year in advance.