• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Surf Club - Purchase?

brandela

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! My and my husband are on our honeymoon here at the Surf Club in Aruba. My client has a timeshare at the Ocean Club and she has been pushing us to go to Aruba for quite some time! We love it! So much that we went through the "preview" sales pitch on the timeshares. We want to make a decision this week, however, we have not done much research. After finding this forum, I am a bit hesitant. Most of the comments I have read, state that we should purchase through resale...does this mean privately, outside of the Marriott? We were looking to do the Gold, Surf Club, Ocean Side and they are quoting us $29500. Is this crazy? Is that what most of your thoughts are? If I'm not mistaken Marriott has first right of refusal if someone wants to sell, so how it is that you purchase resale? Any advice would be great!

Also, we do not plan to come to Aruba very often, but to utilize the other Marriott locations in the US. The woman told us that purchasing in Aruba is the second best place to purchase, because the demand is so high. Is this correct, or should we look to purchase one in US?
Thanks!

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait

I am sure many others will chime in, but it is always best to wait and do more research. The only benefit of buying Marriott direct is the ability to trade for Marriott Reward Points. See the Marriott board below for lots of opinions on that :D

Welcome to TUG!

Danette :)

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your doing the right thing by not purchasing. You would save at least 50% by buying resale when you get home. The only thing you lose is the ability to trade your unit for Marriott Reward points.

If you dont plan on going to Aruba very often then you are better off purchasing somewhere that you will use as well as trade. Trading an expensive timeshare isnt usually cost effective when you add in the purchase price, maintenance fees and exchange fees. You could purchase a platinum week at Manor Club in Virginia, one of the Orlando properties or Horizons Branson for well under 10K and have very good trading power.

Lastly, dont even remotely consider this purchase if you might finance through Marriott.

brandela

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you! You have saved us! We will be holding off until we get home and will look to purchase resale. I appreciate your assistance and advice. This is not the last you will hear from us! Thanks! B&T