• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott South Lake Tahoe: Grand Residence or Timber Lodge?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
What is the difference in accommodations and amenities between Timber Lodge and Grand Residence? We stayed in Timber Lodge last year but wondering how Grand Residence compares? By the name, it sounds like it would be fancier or nicer in some way. Also, do either of these resorts have private beach access in the summer?

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
When you say beach access do you mean free? The Marriotts are not members of the Lakeside Beach Association with free access, but anyone can pay a daily fee to get on the beach during the summer.

Or maybe there is some other beach where the Marriotts have privileges, but I haven't heard about it.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
What is the difference in accommodations and amenities between Timber Lodge and Grand Residence? We stayed in Timber Lodge last year but wondering how Grand Residence compares? By the name, it sounds like it would be fancier or nicer in some way. Also, do either of these resorts have private beach access in the summer?

Not sure if you were there before of after they remodeled the units, but we were just at Timber Lodge and really enjoyed the unit. They did a great job on the remodel. Unfortunately we haven’t stayed at the Residence Club, so I can’t provide a comparison of the two options.

Best regards.

Mike

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
We've stayed at both (several Timber Lodge stays, one Grand Residence stay). Both are very nice properties. As I understand things (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), MVC built Timber Lodge and it was sold as timeshare weeks. But they purchased Grand Residence from a prior owner that got into financial trouble. Grand Residence was sold as fractionals.

Noise is a big issue for us because my wife is a light sleeper. Grand Residence has a large number of different room configurations, and we did feel that our 1BR at Grand Residence was quite large and comfortable. But the reason we haven't returned to Grand Residence is that many of the rooms (including the one we were assigned) are close to the shops and restaurants. This meant that it can be noisy at night. Perhaps this would be less of a problem in the year of the Covid (remember that you're staying on the California side of the state line, and I simply don't know if restaurants and bars are open or not), but it was a problem for my sweetheart.

At Timber Lodge we usually request an high floor (not the top floor) room facing the interior courtyard. Even though there's a pool, and pools can be noisy, we find that this is much quieter for us.

Someone should pipe in and comment about parking. As MVC owners, we don't pay for parking at Timber Lodge (other than a tip for the valet). But if I remember, Grand Residence may charge a parking fee?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
When we stayed at Timber Lodge last year, we did not pay for parking, which was nice. We stayed in a one bedroom overlooking the gondola and it was noisy during the day but quiet at night.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Timber Lodge experience is much more consistent as most of the rooms follow the same layout. Main variants are balcony, corner units, and top floor with slanted ceilings. My understanding of Grand Residence is that the units can vary wildly. The 1bdrm unit we got was smaller than a Timber Lodge unit (I don't think it had a washer/dryer either, but it's been a while.) I believe there are more Grand Residence units that face the street. On the plus side, some units have lofts and massive balconies.

MVC owners shouldn't need to pay for parking at both sites for weeks/points stays. Parking is not included for cash stays.

Another thing to consider post Covid is that Timber Lodge has the teen/kids clubs. But unfortunately they are closed for the foreseeable future.

Beach access was included a few years back, but you now have to pay for access to the closest Tahoe beach. There are alternatives if you are willing to drive.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Pretty sure you must pay for parking at GR regardless of reservation type.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
If renting a unit from an owner, valet parking is included. One vehicle for studio, 1br and 2br units. Two vehicles for 3br units. Stays booked via marriott.com are charged parking. I dont know about DC point stays.

Grand residence units will vary. I think there are more than 60+ floorplans at Grand residence. None have washer/dryer in the room unless you are in a 3br unit. Some units are very nice and have seen studios with a small kitchen and fireplace.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Harrahs is now free for parking because of Covid. The valets at TL steered me there. We had three cars for a two bedroom over Labor Day. So it was a good savings for us.

At one point during Covid, TL was allowing a second car for a 2B. No longer the case.

Any exchange through II into GR does not provide parking.

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at GR using DC Points in Jan 2020. Valet parking was complimentary.

BayGirl22

TUG Member
Reaction score
We greatly prefer the Grand Residence. If renting through an owner or using points there should not be a charge for parking. In a 2br this winter we had 2 cars parked for free.
I usually go through the site heavenly village condos dot com to look at rentals. They have very detailed floor plans and pictures because all rooms are different. If you know the unit you should be able to figure out approximate layout and location from the details on that site.

I think the GR pool is better, nice lobby, just generally more unique rooms that don't feel like every other Marriott. Most rooms are a much shorter walk than the TL rooms to get to restaurants, gondola, ice rink, pool, etc. Also you can still use the facilities at TL for the kids club and fitness/activities, its just a short walk around the gondola. True that GR does not have laundry in the rooms, but there are spots on each floor that work in a pinch. Neither property is on the beach - but we only go in winter.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Helpful to know. We have two weeks in November booked at TL but had also considered GR. Glad to know about the TL remodel and another vote for the pool view being quieter.

klkaylor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually the only GR's that have washer/dryers in the unit are penthouses - may any bedroom side. We own at both and stay at the TL more than the GR. Rooms are consistant at the TL the remodel was great. Just watch out for the top floor at both locations as the rooms can get odd up there.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Got a suggestion on another thread to ask for a 3rd floor Alpine room, which doesn't sound like the top floor. Are there W/D in the 1 bdrm TL units?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For guests through Interval International exchange, Valet Parking is currently $32 / night at Grand Residence.
Although some activities are shared across resorts, guests at one resort do not have pool privileges at the other resort.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
For guests through Interval International exchange, Valet Parking is currently $32 / night at Grand Residence.
Although some activities are shared across resorts, guests at one resort do not have pool privileges at the other resort.
Technically true but access is pretty easy and no one seems to care.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically true but access is pretty easy and no one seems to care.
It’s weird because shared activities often take place in the pool area. The keys don’t work if you are in the opposite resort so you have to wait for someone to come out of the pool even though you have a legit purpose. The wait is generally about three seconds so as you say, no big deal.