• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Shadow Ridge Question

ocsurf08

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the option of purchasing a 2BD 2BA gold week at Shadow Ridge for $300.

I mainly would use this property to trade for other properties, mainly Hawaii. I am pretty flexible with my dates.

I wanted to see what everyone thought about using this property for that purpose. Is there another Marriott property around the same price point that would have better trading power? Would I be better off going with Hilton or Westin?

This is my first timeshare purchase, so any info would be great. Thanks.

TUG Member
Reaction score
i purchase a marriott Shadow Ridge/Platimum/two bedoom/annual/lock off
for $2500 to $3000 on ebay
for only $2200 more
you wil have so much better trading power with a March week during Platinium season then a "Gold season" week.

The Annual dues are the same for "Platinmum season" vs "gold Season"

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the option of purchasing a 2BD 2BA gold week at Shadow Ridge for $300.

I mainly would use this property to trade for other properties, mainly Hawaii. I am pretty flexible with my dates.

I wanted to see what everyone thought about using this property for that purpose. Is there another Marriott property around the same price point that would have better trading power? Would I be better off going with Hilton or Westin?

This is my first timeshare purchase, so any info would be great. Thanks.

Depends on where you want to stay. Marriott and Westin trade in II and have a strong owner preference period. If you want to stay at a Marriott in anything other then a studio, I would buy a Marriott. Same with Westin. Hilton trades in RCI, which has little other high end Hawaii properties to trade into. Hilton does however have great properties on the big island and Waikiki. If you want to do Maui, Hiton's not a good choice.

An important thing to consider is not just trade power, but exit strategy. If/When you need to get out of this TS, how will you do it. If you're buying a gold season for $300, how hard will it be to get rid of. You might have to give it away or may even find yourself paying someone to take it. The Platinum is a good choice because there are more buyers.

Emmahattiejacob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd look at doing a 2bed lock out @ Sheraton Vistana village for 97500 star options .....you could break it up and use to trade into both Marriott or Westin Maui...I've had great trades with this....or you could use the SO for a 1 Bedroom Westin Maui....I also own 2weeks plat @ shadow ridge but like the options and resale value with Starwood now that you can bank Star options...

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
If you are flexible as you say (and don't need holidays/summer/Feb in Maui), and especially if you are able to make travel plans <60 days, then you are likely to be able to make HI exchanges with a Shadow Ridge gold week (you'll just need to check frequently with Interval). Gold season does have a few weeks with high trade value, but most are rather poor, and the high trade value weeks book fast. Even with a lower trade value week, you'll still get Marriott preference in Interval (24 days regular, 3 days flextime). Keep in mind that the new points system that Marriott has introduced may make trades a bit harder in the future, but no one really knows for sure.

As for price, a Staroptions-eligible week or Plat week Shadow Ridge Marriott will give you more options, but they will also cost more than a $300 buy in. Some people buy a Sheraton Desert Oasis to trade back in to other Starwood resorts (it's not eligible for Staroptions so is cheap). A Plat Willow Ridge recently went on ebay for $330 plus 2012 MF/usage http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARRIOTTS-WILLOW-RIDGE-LODGE-BRANSON-MISSOURI-TIMESHARE-/200716253576). Another Marriott that people use for trades is Grande Vista (gold or plat).

Look at MF costs more than just the buy-in costs. The buy-in cost will be done & over with, and then you will have the ongoing MFs.... forever and ever!

As for systems, agree with slum - buy the system you want for the II preference. Check out the list/locations of resorts, and just remember with a cheaper or off-season trader, don't count on high season trades.

In the worst case scenario, is Shadow Ridge (or another TS you may consider) something that you would actually be interested in using? If the answer is a solid NO, I would be careful about the purchase.

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott White or Gold Season

I have made a lot of trades using a Marriott Desert Springs Gold season and a Marriott Desert Springs Gold Season. I trade to Hawaii almost exclusively. Yes I am flexible and put down Maui, Ko o lina, and Poipu and get either the
summer or shoulder season(I prefer will kids are in school).

It is not worth $3,000 more for Platinum for me.

As to Westin, and Hyatt. I own them also, but recommend to a new buyer
a Marriott, because of some many locations, then a Westin.

BUT IF YOU DO NOT ALL READY OWN, RENT DIFFERENT LOCATIONS FROM TUG LISTINGS AND SEE FOR YOURSELF WANT YOU REALLY FALL IN LOVE WITH. NO LOVE, THEN NEVER PURCHASE.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Follow up

So basically what is the general consensus Platinum or Gold ? I am in the process of buying a EOY Plat Shadow Ridge, but I see so many Golds out there for free practically.

I have been to MOC twice in the last 4 months (Christmas and spring break) using my non-marriott TS as a trade and going to Oahu in the 3rd week of May, staying at the Marriott. Love the Marriotts and my travel schedule is flexible but I would like to go to Maui at Christmas again.

I would like to find another EOY Plat at a reasonable price or should I should get a gold for the trading priority ?

Thanks in advance

Cmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quadmaniac,
There really is not "one" right answer. We have owned Marriott weeks for about 15 years (our first purchase was at DSII) and also enrolled in the DC.

Platinum is a better season, and will garner a higher trade value and much of the season are peak demand weeks for trading. Gold season on the other hand is not a good through out it's season, just look in the II book.

Does that mean gold will not trade well ? Certainly not, but its not as good as a platinum. The more flexible you are, the more you travel off season, the less you need a platinum level week.

Given the value of timeshare weeks, you can't really consider them an investment in a financial sense. The value is in the time and quality of the vacations. Really consider that you are entering a contract to pay on going maintenance fee's going forward and you may actually have to pay someone to take it off your hands down the road if you decide to get rid of it. If you are comfortable with that, then shop around and buy when you are ready.

You don't have to rush, they are not going up in price anytime soon.

Cmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quadmaniac,
There really is not "one" right answer. We have owned Marriott weeks for about 15 years (our first purchase was at DSII) and also enrolled in the DC.

Platinum is a better season, and will garner a higher trade value and much of the season are peak demand weeks for trading. Gold season on the other hand is not a good through out it's season, just look in the II book.

Does that mean gold will not trade well ? Certainly not, but its not as good as a platinum. The more flexible you are, the more you travel off season, the less you need a platinum level week.

Given the value of timeshare weeks, you can't really consider them an investment in a financial sense. The value is in the time and quality of the vacations. Really consider that you are entering a contract to pay on going maintenance fee's going forward and you may actually have to pay someone to take it off your hands down the road if you decide to get rid of it. If you are comfortable with that, then shop around and buy when you are ready.

rovitm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quadmaniac,

How much is a Shadow Ridge plat EOY going for?

So basically what is the general consensus Platinum or Gold ? I am in the process of buying a EOY Plat Shadow Ridge, but I see so many Golds out there for free practically.

I have been to MOC twice in the last 4 months (Christmas and spring break) using my non-marriott TS as a trade and going to Oahu in the 3rd week of May, staying at the Marriott. Love the Marriotts and my travel schedule is flexible but I would like to go to Maui at Christmas again.

I would like to find another EOY Plat at a reasonable price or should I should get a gold for the trading priority ?

Thanks in advance

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Love the Marriotts and my travel schedule is flexible but I would like to go to Maui at Christmas again.

I would like to find another EOY Plat at a reasonable price or should I should get a gold for the trading priority ? /quote]

I wouldn't count on Interval giving you a Christmas week unit at the Marriott Maui on an exchange on an ongoing basis. Especially with the Destination Club.

Marriott has the right to poach any week deposited at Interval for exchange; they can swap for it with something of "comparable" value, whatever that means. So in the unlikely event someone did deposit a Christmas week, Marriott would grab it and use it a Destination Club inventory or rent it out.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quadmaniac,

Hi Cmore

I did look at the demand index for SR and I can appreciate what you are saying. I ran into a similar situation with the TS I currently have at Fairmont Hotsprings in terms of seasons, luckily the variation was not as extreme. I did get both the best and second best seasons for free as people were giving them away even as "5 star II resorts". Both trade about the same.

Definitely it is not an investment in any sense at all. I basically look at it as "investment" of how to get the best vacations at the lowest price, which is my end game. I am lucky my brother gave me a bit of direction before getting the 3 TS I have in the past 4 months but now I am looking to expand upon his TS knowledge by adding Marriott and Starwood TS while giving away my Fairmont "Golden Seasons" to him.

I am lucky that so far I have gotten some killer trades into MOC and Westin Kaanapali using my existing TS, but wouldn't mind having even better access to it. I guess what they say is true - TS is like crack, you keep wanting more :hysterical:

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!:clap:

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quadmaniac,

How much is a Shadow Ridge plat EOY going for?

Picking it up for $1700, splitting the closing costs and includes current yr MF and usage! Net taking that all into consideration, it appears I am paying about $500 for it.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn't count on Interval giving you a Christmas week unit at the Marriott Maui on an exchange on an ongoing basis. Especially with the Destination Club.

Marriott has the right to poach any week deposited at Interval for exchange; they can swap for it with something of "comparable" value, whatever that means. So in the unlikely event someone did deposit a Christmas week, Marriott would grab it and use it a Destination Club inventory or rent it out.

No I am not counting on it, that is why I want to add SR to my portfolio but I can't honestly say I am disappointed by any stretch with the great trades I have had so far.

Christmas 2011 MOC 1 br
Spring break 2012 Westin Kaanapali 1 br
May 2012 Marriott Ko Olina Studio
Sept 2012 Westin Kaanapali 2 br

I am only imagining what is possible if this is what I am finding without priority in the two systems. I've read all the doom and gloom hype with DC coming and I can't honestly say I buy into the "threats" at this point. It still appears to by a sales tactic that has very little teeth.

If it happened once booking Xmas, it can again. It is not as if DC just appeared yesterday and it was there when we booked in Dec for Xmas MOC. Proof is in the pudding from what I see thus far. Can't go by what "they say" vs. what has happened. Some tend to believe hype where as I am more into "show me the proof".

The silly thing is that the more that Marriott forces/threatens/entices/misleads people into DC the stronger the DC program becomes. From the statistics, it does not appear that many have enrolled their weeks into the program. I think this is fear mongering at its best.

Last edited:

Cmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cmore

I did look at the demand index for SR and I can appreciate what you are saying. I ran into a similar situation with the TS I currently have at Fairmont Hotsprings in terms of seasons, luckily the variation was not as extreme. I did get both the best and second best seasons for free as people were giving them away even as "5 star II resorts". Both trade about the same....

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!:clap:

You're welcome. Good luck in making the changes you are planning to your TS portfolio. We have been very happy with our trades over the years, and are currently doing a mix of DC and II trades, depending where and how long we want to stay. For us a really good use of DC points has been to add on days to II trades, taking advantage of the Sun -Thurs point values.