• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott says wait until Dec 16 to reserve Thanksgiving???

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Hi-

Recently I purchased (off ebay) a Gold Marriott Desert Springs Villas II week. A couple days ago when talking to the resellers I asked them to reserve for me a fall week. My guess was that Thanksgiving week was probably gone in the first 5 minutes of being available. (I gave the reseller a "priority list of weeks I would like reserved". Yes-Thanksgiving was on it-in the off chance he could book one.)

BUT---the reseller said he talked to Marriott and was told they weren't making reservations for Thanksgiving yet and he should call back on December 16th. Was Marriott blowing smoke? :confused: (Or Marriott talking about Xmas, which I can't reserve anyway?)

I imagine Thanksgiving is gone and I should get the reseller to book another fall week before they all go...any suggestions?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The reseller gave you the wrong information.
You can reserve 12 months before the check-in weekend Friday-Sunday.

wa.mama

TUG Member
Reaction score
Smoke. We just spent Thanksgiving at Ko Olina, having reserved 13 months in advance, and when we tried to add another unit on at 12 months in advance all the friday and saturday check-ins were already gone. Why don't you try calling Marriott yourself and talk to them? Even without a unit you can still get some good info from them.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Could it be that it is gone and they expect some cancellations when people call to book Christmas and then cancel their Thanksgiving reservation?
Many people will book a good week but then cancel later if they are able to get the week they truely want. This is a good plan if you are trying to book week 52. You could be left with nothing good to pick from if you call to book week 52 and they are sold out already.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait, you can change your reservation at your home resort? :doh: It never occurred to me before to do this. As I almost exclusively use mine as a trade, so I've never thought about changing my reservation if you can find a better date. Good to know.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Could it be that it is gone and they expect some cancellations when people call to book Christmas and then cancel their Thanksgiving reservation?
Many people will book a good week but then cancel later if they are able to get the week they truely want. This is a good plan if you are trying to book week 52. You could be left with nothing good to pick from if you call to book week 52 and they are sold out already.

Gold weeks in the desert would cover Thanksgiving, but not Christmas. I reserved Thanksgiving 3 minutes after 9am for my desert unit, and all were reserved by 5 minutes past according to another thread.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA

Thanksgiving is Gold and Xmas/New Year's is Platinum. At one point, I thought maybe the Mar. rep. was not thinking and automatically directing people to the day to call for Xmas.

Anyway--Thank You, Thank You to all who confirmed that Marriott or the reseller was blowing smoke about the reservation date. Didn't think Thanksgiving was in December next year.:)

I'll be calling first thing Monday to hopefully get a decent fall week.

Just read the post above....
Thanks-my next question was--I know Thanksgiving must go fast-but how fast. Somewhere between 3-5 min. Wow!

Last edited:

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Wait, you can change your reservation at your home resort? :doh: It never occurred to me before to do this. As I almost exclusively use mine as a trade, so I've never thought about changing my reservation if you can find a better date. Good to know.

Of course there is a fee to cancel first reservation ($29) before you book the new one.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is they called the wrong number :wall:

You can book timeshares 12 or 13 months in advance.

You can book hotels 331 days in advance so you cannot yet book Thanksgiving 2009.