• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott ROFR claiming ownership before sale closes

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club
Hopefully someone can help me with the legality of this and fighting it.

I have an associate who sold her quarter-share at Grand Residence Club in Lake Tahoe. Marriott claimed it on ROFR.

Original deal was contracted to close Dec 24. But seller hasn't signed or returned documents to Marriott, and deal won't close until end of January. The kicker is that Marriott is trying to claim ownership of the week Dec 25 and evict a paid renter, even though Marriott is not yet the owner of record.

Marriott wants to enforce the contractual usage date, but ignore the contractual closing and funding date. This can't be legal?

Thanks

Tim

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have an associate who sold her quarter-share at Grand Residence Club in Lake Tahoe. Marriott claimed it on ROFR.

Original deal was contracted to close Dec 24. But seller hasn't signed or returned documents to Marriott, and deal won't close until end of January. The kicker is that Marriott is trying to claim ownership of the week Dec 25 and evict a paid renter, even though Marriott is not yet the owner of record.

Marriott wants to enforce the contractual usage date, but ignore the contractual closing and funding date. This can't be legal?

Thanks

Tim

What does the contract say regarding 2015 use?

Its not Marriott thats doing anything wrong. The delay (from what you say here) is the sellers fault

Again, from what you say here, its the seller trying to pull a fast one on Marriott, not the other way around. At the very least the rental income is Marriotts.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Thanks

Tim
You are correct in my opinion, this can't be legal unless something that is already signed says they have a right to the usage. She should contact a CA attorney with experience in real property transactions and litigation.

Is there a letter or something in writing that expresses Marriott's position?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
You are correct in my opinion, this can't be legal unless something that is already signed says they have a right to the usage. She should contact a CA attorney with experience in real property transactions and litigation.

Is there a letter or something in writing that expresses Marriott's position?

Marriott's sales documents always (at least in my experience) specify the first usage year. If 2015 is the first usage year specified, I think Marriott is within its legal rights. The seller is obligated to abide by the terms of the original contract as well as Marriott.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's sales documents always (at least in my experience) specify the first usage year. If 2015 is the first usage year specified, I think Marriott is within its legal rights. The seller is obligated to abide by the terms of the original contract as well as Marriott.

They should not be able to claim present use based on the terms of a future contract.

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club
Thanks for all of the quick replies. In no way is the seller "pulling a fast one", in fact it seems to be the other way around.

The seller had a deal contracted to close Dec 24. Marriott's ROFR is unable to close by that time. But Marriott wants benefit of ownership in the meantime.

Seller should be able to keep control of all ownership until deal closes and is fully executed. Even if first available week in selling documents is Dec 25, Marriott is not official owner on that date. Like with any transaction, Marriott could pull out before closure, but still received benefit of the usage they claimed in the meantime.

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club

All agreed, except that Marriott is choosing to enforce the term of when the usage begins, but not agreeing to the closing date. Either the contract as a whole is agreed or void. They can't pick and choose.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
All agreed, except that Marriott is choosing to enforce the term of when the usage begins, but not agreeing to the closing date. Either the contract as a whole is agreed or void. They can't pick and choose.
Correct. The usage (of 12/25) I presume was based on a closing of 12/24.

However, what was the plan for the renter under the agreement?

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club
Correct. The usage (of 12/25) I presume was based on a closing of 12/24.

However, what was the plan for the renter under the agreement?

The new owner was keeping the rental as is, until Marriott stepped in with ROFR.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Tim

At what price did Marriott decide to exercise their Right of First Refusal?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can't the seller just refuse to sell the unit, to Marriott and to the buyer? This seems to be the way for the renter to keep the unit?

Am I understanding correctly that the renter and the buyer are the same person? So the buyer was really just wanting 2015 year usage along with the purchase of the unit?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
At what price did Marriott decide to exercise their Right of First Refusal?

I am interested in the answer also. I know there is ROFR but the broker I workded with said he has not seen it exercised in years. What size unit was it for if OP doesn't mind answering?

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club
I am interested in the answer also. I know there is ROFR but the broker I workded with said he has not seen it exercised in years. What size unit was it for if OP doesn't mind answering?

They have been ROFR heavily at the Grand Residence in the last 6 weeks. And it's pretty obvious. A 1 BR 1 BA has been selling for low $20,000's, and is equivalent to approx 20,000 Destinations Points. So Marriott is basically buying at $1 per point, putting it in the land trust and selling for $12+ per point.

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club
Can't the seller just refuse to sell the unit, to Marriott and to the buyer? This seems to be the way for the renter to keep the unit?

Am I understanding correctly that the renter and the buyer are the same person? So the buyer was really just wanting 2015 year usage along with the purchase of the unit?

Buyer and renter were separate parties. This property is 13-week ownership, a bit more involved than typical timeshare.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
They have been ROFR heavily at the Grand Residence in the last 6 weeks. And it's pretty obvious. A 1 BR 1 BA has been selling for low $20,000's, and is equivalent to approx 20,000 Destinations Points. So Marriott is basically buying at $1 per point, putting it in the land trust and selling for $12+ per point.
Wow.....I closed on one for less than that in September. There was another 1br/1ba that closed for less than what i paid about a month a later and it also passed rofr.

Now I wonder what marriott would want to bring both my quarters into the dc club?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
They should not be able to claim present use based on the terms of a future contract.

It is not a future contract. All contracts deal with future obligations to occur after the closing.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

When did the seller submit the ROFR waiver request to Marriott? If it was in plenty of time to get the waiver within the established time frame for that resort and still arrange a December 24 closing, that could give the seller a good argument. But if there was not sufficient time, then the seller could be perceived as "pulling a fast one." In the latter case, Marriott would be exercising ROFR which allowed them Christmas week, but seller's timing would prevent the closing until later. I don't think the seller would win that one. Also, when did the seller receive the documents from Marriott that they have not yet returned, which I presume are the documents needed to complete the closing on the ROFR sale?

I don't have all the facts and I could be wrong, but it seems that the seller is now trying to get the rent for the last week of the year, which presumably the new buyer would have received had the deal closed on December 24. If that is not the case, why wasn't 2016 specified as the first usage year?

Last edited:

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
This doesn't make sense. If you were in contract they can exercise ROFR. If you were not in a signed contract then I don't see how they could exercise.